+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for recco for our small groups next trip - SE Asia or S Pacific & CCR support

RBW Member Byte Me is an unknown quantity at this point Byte Me's Avatar
    rEvo Micro III

Titan

Looking for recco for our small groups next trip - SE Asia or S Pacific & CCR support

Hello,

As the title states, looking for some recos for our next trip. There are about 10 of us, 5-6 CCR divers, the rest significant others (would likely bring them) who are snorkelers only, one or two may dive OC.

We are all experienced (at least MOD2, some of us CCR cave) but don't necessarily need to dive trimix unless worth it (e.g. San Francisco Maru). Can bring sorb and CCR bottles, but would buy/rent pending cost. We just spent a week in Puerto Galera and Dumaguete which was decent but we won't be going back. Would like to see a good mix of healthy reef, bigger stuff. Ideally would have shore and boat diving but OK with all boat. Beach, land stuff and snorkeling would be great for non-divers.

We're looking in to Wakatobi and Sam's in Palau at the moment but would love other suggestions. Have heard good things about Yap but don't know about CCR support at either Manta or Yap Pacific.

We've been to Truk and Philippines only in this area of the world so are pretty open. We really just want to avoid getting burned again by a resort saying the support CCR only at the last minute to have them pull the rug out from under us. I'm done w/ OC!!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Brian.

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

Re: Looking for recco for our small groups next trip - SE Asia or S Pacific & CCR sup

Quote Originally Posted by Byte Me  View Original Post
    Hello,

As the title states, looking for some recos for our next trip. There are about 10 of us, 5-6 CCR divers, the rest significant others (would likely bring them) who are snorkelers only, one or two may dive OC.

We are all experienced (at least MOD2, some of us CCR cave) but don't necessarily need to dive trimix unless worth it (e.g. San Francisco Maru). Can bring sorb and CCR bottles, but would buy/rent pending cost. We just spent a week in Puerto Galera and Dumaguete which was decent but we won't be going back. Would like to see a good mix of healthy reef, bigger stuff. Ideally would have shore and boat diving but OK with all boat. Beach, land stuff and snorkeling would be great for non-divers.

We're looking in to Wakatobi and Sam's in Palau at the moment but would love other suggestions. Have heard good things about Yap but don't know about CCR support at either Manta or Yap Pacific.

We've been to Truk and Philippines only in this area of the world so are pretty open. We really just want to avoid getting burned again by a resort saying the support CCR only at the last minute to have them pull the rug out from under us. I'm done w/ OC!!

Brian.
    Would love access to the same info - we are based in Oz

RBW Member sluca is an unknown quantity at this point sluca's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Re: Looking for recco for our small groups next trip - SE Asia or S Pacific & CCR sup

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza  View Original Post
    Would love access to the same info - we are based in Oz
    +1

Happy NOT blowing bubbles bluecargopockets is an unknown quantity at this point bluecargopockets's Avatar
    Inspo with a GBox

I spent a week at this resort last year http://sangat.com.ph/

Diving wise similar to Truk, perhaps shallower. We were 6 divers, 3 OC and 3 CC. They provided cylinder hire and sorb by the tub.

Loads of other activities for the non diving significant others to do.

pike pikewashere is an unknown quantity at this point pikewashere's Avatar
    rEvo

You've said you have already been to Philippines, but would highly recommend: http://evolution.com.ph/

Only down side, is there is not much going on on the island other then diving/beach, which for me, is fantastic, but not sure what your crowd would say.

New Rebreather Diver RoyJN is an unknown quantity at this point RoyJN's Avatar
    Inspiration vision

The liveaboard Nai'a in Fiji is rebreather friendly, same with Siren, bottles all included, only thing is sorbs need to be shipped in but I usually buy it from New Zealand and pay it on the boat. I'm also looking for a rebreather group to join in, socialize and become friends since it sometime sucks to dive CCR alone and few occasions, the OC frown on me for "showing off" and etc.

RBW Member beldridg is an unknown quantity at this point beldridg's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro hCCR + rMS

Ditto on the Nai'a. Spent a week in early December with them and they are great. Also relatively easy to get there from California with direct flights from LAX and SFO (not on all days of the week for SFO).

- brett

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJN  View Original Post
    The liveaboard Nai'a in Fiji is rebreather friendly, same with Siren, bottles all included, only thing is sorbs need to be shipped in but I usually buy it from New Zealand and pay it on the boat. I'm also looking for a rebreather group to join in, socialize and become friends since it sometime sucks to dive CCR alone and few occasions, the OC frown on me for "showing off" and etc.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Byte Me  View Original Post
    Hello,

Brian.
    Hello Brian, my most recent trip was on the Taka in the Solomon Islands. They have cylinders, sorb and high-quality 02. I heard they were looking into getting a booster pump. The diving was excellent, plenty of big stuff and you can combine a Taka liveaboard trip with land-based diving at Tulagi Dive. It's mostly wrecks, but there's plenty of life and they have trimix. Honiara is not a glamorous place, but there are some day trips to WW2 relics.

I second the Evolution Malapascua recommendation and agree with what was written above.

As for Indonesia I have two recommendations:

Blue Marlin has several dive resorts and a liveaboard that goes to various places including Komodo. I haven't dived with them in quite a while but they are CCR friendly and still run by the same people. The diving in Trawangan is so so, I would investigate their Senggigi location as I remember hearing they had lots of big stuff there, and take the liveaboard to Komodo. Day trip diving there out of Labuan Bajo involves very long boat rides.

I also had a great experience with Alor Dive:

http://www.alor-dive.com/index_en.html

Thomas is German but speaks English very well and has the serious local knowledge required to dive here successfully. He can get O2 and sorb and has a really great boat that can be used as a liveaboard for short trips. His prices for chartering the whole boat are very reasonable. Kalabahi is not much of a tourist place, but I was there 10 years ago and there may be more to do now. Alor also has some great snorkeling up north, I can't remember the name of the site but it was the top of a reef, max depth 5 feet and it was a square mile or two of hard coral and an enourmous number and variety of very colorful tropicals. Thomas will know it's name by that description.

You can add on diving out of Bali as you will most likely fly through there. Bali diving is quite good, especially the sites on Nusa Penida.

Papua New Guinea was my favorite diving destination, but I haven't been there since 2006. There is very good land-based diving near the gateway city of Port Moresby, as well as in Kimbe, New Britain. The MV Golden Dawn Is charter only now and does not have a regular schedule, but I believe she is based out of Port Moresby. The boat is owned by a rebreather diving captain and is the most stable and comfortable liveaboard I have ever been on. MV Febrina operates out of Walindi plantation resort in Kimbe. It is a well regarded liveaboard but I don't know if they are CCR friendly.

The main problem with PNG and the reason I have not been there in a long time, is the airfares to Moresby are quite high. That being said it has the best diving I have ever done, meaning tremendous amounts of big fish especially on CCR and the most diversity I've ever encountered. Indonesia is a close second, only because I did not see as many big animals there as in PNG.

I am firmly convinced that CCR will always provide better wildlife interaction and is always worth the trouble. P.m. me if you have any further questions, once you decide on a destination I can give you lots of specific logistic advice having dived in this part of the world many times. If you are open to taking other CCR Divers I would probably like to join you if the timing works. Happy trails! – Andy
    Last edited by silent running; 13th March 2018 at 02:03.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJN  View Original Post

The OC Divers I encountered on my last live aboard trip were borderline hostile when I would report to the captain what I saw. After an initial few dives with the group, I usually am able to convince the captain to let me dive solo and go in opposite direction from the OC Divers. This always pays off, though I always prefer to dive with other CCR divers because the more eyes the better for spotting the mostly silent denizens of the deep..!

New Rebreather Diver RoyJN is an unknown quantity at this point RoyJN's Avatar
    Inspiration vision

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    The OC Divers I encountered on my last live aboard trip were borderline hostile when I would report to the captain what I saw. After an initial few dives with the group, I usually am able to convince the captain to let me dive solo and go in opposite direction from the OC Divers. This always pays off, though I always prefer to dive with other CCR divers because the more eyes the better for spotting the mostly silent denizens of the deep..!
    I just came back from Fiji, at least the divers on this trip weren't that hostile but very interested in what make machine work. I did bump into divers diving from the Aggressor and they all gave me the "WTF" face when they saw what I was diving in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast