+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie question: Counterlung volume

RBW Member t0by is an unknown quantity at this point t0by's Avatar

Newbie question: Counterlung volume

Hello, I'd like to understand a little more about the relationship between counterlung volume and lung volume. (I'm not a rebreather diver yet)

Many years ago I took part in a study of lung volume / SAC rate. Turned out my max lung volume is about 7.2 litres.

I'm looking at the JJ spec sheet. The counterlung volume is 8 litres.

Does this mean that if I inhale the maximum volume of my lungs (7.2 litres), will I almost empty the counterlung? Or is there something else going on - e.g. there'll be 7.2 litres in my lung and a few more litres to keep the counterlungs from collapsing.

Excuse the ignorance. Trying to figure out if my enormous lung volume will impact the type of rebreather that I choose.

Thanks in advance

RBW Member jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT

Pelagian DCCCR

Re: Newbie question: Counterlung volume

Just try to figure out what your normal comfortable maximum breathing-volume is.

I would assume it is about 5-5.5 litres.

Don`t look yourself blind on the numbers.

A normal set of counterlungs should be more than enough for you.

The only CCR I know where you may top and bottom out is the rEvo 3 Micro FT, (4,5l), although that volume fit me almost like a glove. (I had my lung-volume measured to 7.9l, with 6.7l exhaled in one second)

+ Reply to Thread