+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NERD 2 Mount on a rEvo

RBW Member beldridg is an unknown quantity at this point beldridg's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro hCCR + rMS

NERD 2 Mount on a rEvo

I have a NERD 1 and bought a NERD 2 mounting system for CCR (vs OC). My plan was to use it for a better mounting system on my rEvo. The original NERD 1 mount is a bit "flimsy" and isn't easy to adjust under water.

The problem is that the diameter of the BOV mounting piece is much larger than the rEvo BOV diameter - even at the widest point. I even tried to clamp it around the hose clamps (see attached pictures) just to see if it would work which kind of works but isn't real stable and not a workable solution.

Has anybody been able to use the NERD 2 mount on a rEvo BOV?

Brett
    Attached Images

RBW Member ECho is on a distinguished road ECho is on a distinguished road ECho's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

Meg

Re: NERD 2 Mount on a rEvo

You can use the standard rEvo mount for the NERD (part numbers R227 - Shearwater NERD Bracket & R513 - Clip for Mounting HUD on DSV). They’re about $30 & $20 in the US. This is the simplest way of mounting a NERD to a rEvo, and it was designed by rEvo...

HTH

Supporting Member fdarden is on a distinguished road fdarden is on a distinguished road fdarden's Avatar
    Revo Micro

If you use that standard clip, you might want to consider some tire inner tube on the DSV to give the loop mount some grip to keep the computer from slipping up and down. I haven’t had much luck with any of the existing mounts, and I’m hoping that rEvo or Shearwater comes out with an improved mount soon. The current “standard” clip that rEvo sells works “ok”but does not do the Nerd 2 justice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi ECho,

Yes, that is the system I am currently using. It is a little "flimsy" IMO and lacks that ability to adjust it underwater and has limited ability to adjust in general.

The new NERD2 bracket is really nice and would be much better.

- brett

Quote Originally Posted by ECho  View Original Post
    You can use the standard rEvo mount for the NERD (part numbers R227 - Shearwater NERD Bracket & R513 - Clip for Mounting HUD on DSV). They’re about $30 & $20 in the US. This is the simplest way of mounting a NERD to a rEvo, and it was designed by rEvo...

HTH

Agreed. The new mount is really nice and works great with the original NERD. All that it needs is a version with a delrin ring that goes around the BOV that is slightly smaller in diameter.

The Shearwater team is really responsive so I'll drop them a line via their support web page and see what happens.

- brett

Quote Originally Posted by fdarden  View Original Post
    If you use that standard clip, you might want to consider some tire inner tube on the DSV to give the loop mount some grip to keep the computer from slipping up and down. I haven’t had much luck with any of the existing mounts, and I’m hoping that rEvo or Shearwater comes out with an improved mount soon. The current “standard” clip that rEvo sells works “ok”but does not do the Nerd 2 justice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Supporting Member fdarden is on a distinguished road fdarden is on a distinguished road fdarden's Avatar
    Revo Micro

Quote Originally Posted by beldridg  View Original Post
    Agreed. The new mount is really nice and works great with the original NERD. All that it needs is a version with a delrin ring that goes around the BOV that is slightly smaller in diameter.

The Shearwater team is really responsive so I'll drop them a line via their support web page and see what happens.

- brett
    Maybe you will have more luck than I did. I was advised that rEvo is working on a new mount that is supposed to be awesome, but it does not exist. It escapes me why Shearwater forgot us rEvo divers on this!! As always, they were very responsive and provided rubber "shims" to attempt to fix it. these all fell off mine first dive. All we needed was a ring that fit our DSV. I finally got desperate, and spent the $29.95 for the standard mount from rEvo, until something better comes along. When I was using the "official" Shearwater mount with my band-aid fix, when it worked it was awesome. So I agree, a ring to fit the rEvo DSV is all that is needed. Once you get it working you will love it, I think.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

A very simple solution to keep the stock revo mount from rotating when you do not want to, is to merely drill a small hole in the mount to hold a pin and a slightly larger hole in the dsv for it to sit in. I have done this to a few revos and it works awesome.

Sent from my E500A using Tapatalk
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Thanks for the tip! That will help with the problem of the mount rotating on the DSV (which is great!) but doesn't give you the ability to adjust it underwater like the new mount would do.

Sure enough, I heard back from Shearwater a couple hours later and they said that rEvo would need to produce a different DSV mount.

I'll drop them a note and see where it leads. Worse case, I'll see if I can get somebody local to manufacture a smaller delrin ring given a "blueprint" from the larger one and a circumference measurement from my DSV.

Regards,

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    A very simple solution to keep the stock revo mount from rotating when you do not want to, is to merely drill a small hole in the mount to hold a pin and a slightly larger hole in the dsv for it to sit in. I have done this to a few revos and it works awesome.

Sent from my E500A using Tapatalk

RBW Member manni-yunk is an unknown quantity at this point manni-yunk's Avatar

What is this "REVO BOV" that you speak of???

Are you talking about a Revo DSV.......or....an aftermarket BOV? Ive seen the Nerd 2 mount on a Shrimp BOV - and the shrimp mounted on a revo and it works awesome. I have not seen a Nerd 2 mount on a revo DSV yet.

Yes, my mistake, I meant DSV.

- brett

Quote Originally Posted by manni-yunk  View Original Post
    What is this "REVO BOV" that you speak of???

Are you talking about a Revo DSV.......or....an aftermarket BOV? Ive seen the Nerd 2 mount on a Shrimp BOV - and the shrimp mounted on a revo and it works awesome. I have not seen a Nerd 2 mount on a revo DSV yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast