+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Experience with Santi BZ400 heated undersuit

Roland Somodi rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver's Avatar
    Homebuilt(s)

Inspiration Classic

Experience with Santi BZ400 heated undersuit

Gents,

I have been thinking about getting a Santi heated undersuit, but first would like to know if it is any good or worth it? Thanks.

RBW Member graham_hk is a jewel in the rough graham_hk is a jewel in the rough graham_hk is a jewel in the rough graham_hk is a jewel in the rough graham_hk is a jewel in the rough graham_hk is a jewel in the rough graham_hk is a jewel in the rough graham_hk is a jewel in the rough graham_hk's Avatar

Re: Experience with Santi BZ400 heated undersuit

Quote Originally Posted by rolanddiver  View Original Post
    Gents,

I have been thinking about getting a Santi heated undersuit, but first would like to know if it is any good or worth it? Thanks.
    Good - but super floaty.

RBW Member NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk  View Original Post
    Good - but super floaty.
    They are very bulky and floaty when new but a lot of that goes away after a few washes and they don’t seem to lose much insulation as a result.

The heating is a lot more subtle than that experienced with the Santi heated vest even though they draw double the current. They need a substantial battery to power them for a long dive.

Annoyingly, the off-the-peg suits don’t come with suspenders or the chest pocket, unlike the equivalent unheated suit.

Photographer & Journalist John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini Hybrid

Posted to wrong thread by mistake.

RBW Member jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by rolanddiver  View Original Post
    Gents,

What the other guys have said. Very nice, very floaty when new but pack down after a bit. Super warm even without heating on.

RBW Member airb is an unknown quantity at this point airb's Avatar
    rEvo 3 St

I'm very happy about it.
    Floaty: A bit more than than the "classic" Santi Bz 400 - 1 kg extra.

I'm using it with the GralMarine battery and 12v regulator and works perfectly.

Need a big battery

RBW Member ocalld is an unknown quantity at this point ocalld's Avatar

Nick, I know this is from a while back but...

I dive a santi flex190 undersuit with the santi vest. While this was very warm under my othree ri200, under my santi e-lite, it’s not so warm.

I was considering a bz400 to go with the vest but that might seem too bulky, so now looking at the heated bz400 extreme instead.
    Is it warm and is it worth the money??

I already have an 18a/hr battery that should be ok.

Cheers
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by NickB  View Original Post
    They are very bulky and floaty when new but a lot of that goes away after a few washes and they don’t seem to lose much insulation as a result.

The heating is a lot more subtle than that experienced with the Santi heated vest even though they draw double the current. They need a substantial battery to power them for a long dive.

Annoyingly, the off-the-peg suits don’t come with suspenders or the chest pocket, unlike the equivalent unheated suit.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

18ah I dont think will even get you 2 hours

RBW Member NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Quote Originally Posted by ocalld  View Original Post
    Is it warm and is it worth the money??
    It is warm but the heating is more subtle than with the heated vest.

To be honest, I've been using mine lately with the heated vest underneath and only the latter hooked-up to power. That's in 9c water. Much colder and I'd power the suit instead (or maybe both).

Only you can answer the second part of the question ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    18ah I don'.t think will even get you 2 hours
    It will - just about.

The suit is rated at 100W but that's with a 12V battery. With an 11.1V (nominal) lithium pack, the wattage is lower and reduces as the voltage drops.

I have Light Monkey packs with integral Pitkin controllers, so I can run the heating at reduced levels. This hugely extends the battery life.

RBW Member michael-fisch will become famous soon enough michael-fisch will become famous soon enough michael-fisch will become famous soon enough michael-fisch's Avatar
    XCCR, SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

I use Gralmarine packs, the major difference is they use 4S LIon packs instead of the usual 3S LIon. Gralmarine rates them at 14.4V but fully charged to 4.20V a cell I get 16.8V out of them before they slowly drop to 14.4V instead of the 11.1V of a 3S pack.
    Yes, I use a controller "100%, 70%, 30%, off" with my Santi vest, and its quite a bit warmer than using the normal 3S Lion packs made by everybody else. Still the Santi Vest, 4th element Pants and Weezle Extreme + with lined Showa 660 Dry gloves are damned cold after 3 hrs in 4°C water.

Michael

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast