+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Is a rebreather for me

RBW Member chaetodon is an unknown quantity at this point chaetodon's Avatar
    none

Re: Is a rebreather for me

[QUOTE=Gobfish1;490088] (hot mix to adv will stop the solenoid from chasing its tail ) when in peter pan mode .lol

your never going to be peter pan with a ccr lump on your back , sorry, its never going to be like your 50l hookah set up (work on that exhaust bubble catcher )

how long are your bottom times and whats your avg and max depth , what,s the number of ups and downs also what s the max up travel]

I prefer fly like an eagle than peter pan, but if that gives me some answers then peter pan it is. green tights a flute and whatever it takes to get the job done.lol If rb is a lot more cumbersome than scuba it may not work for me. I can do the peter pan pose on scuba without problem, the green tights wil look a bit funny I weigh 110kg. I am going to test the bubble catcher today and report back to you Gobfish. I like the idea of using nitrox for the dil. Could be some hope for the lateral machine yet. I do 2.5 to 3 hour dives at 20-22 metres. I look for a fish on a level about 6-10 feet off the bottom. Mostly can lure it to a rock or ledge and set my net up and catch it. Some are smart and swim away, so getting above them you can keep a set distance if it turns you can trun and stay with them until it decides to hide under a rock or crevice then you set up net quickly and catch. So sometimes yo yo dancing with a tricky one that runs. If your trying to catch a fish on the same level it has the entire bottom to keep swimming away from you so round up would be impossible.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by chaetodon  View Original Post
    Hmmm. Reading the AP classic manual and early on I see the first stumbling block for me is these rb's like lateral travel. Common sense physics of buoyancy I suppose, but I use the water column a great deal stalking fish and rising quickly to hover up to 10 feet above them (sometimes 15-20 feet) then scooting down to net them, inhale to rise and exhale to drop. There is a bit of table tennis and mexican standoff action when I stalk and finally spook one in to the net. The big problem for me I see is I need both hands free when I am doing this action. This is going to require developing some refined technique if I have to exhale out of the loop and add diluent at the same time I swoop down. I am probably doing this stalking action more so not to scare the fish from my bubbles on SSBA or OC. Over the years I am not conscious to why I am doing this but it works. A lot of rethinking to do and the only way to know is practice and try it. Like Bazza said it will be like being a novice all over again. I am only early in to the book but I see these mobility issues will be my biggest challenge. I just need to evolve two more sets of hands. Unless I can add diluent with a hand trigger or maybe by having more breaths in the bag initially. I cant see any problems so far with reading PPO2 and setpoints, maintaining gear etc. Just a headache if water is getting in. Any suggestions anyone ??

I am not concerned about wasting diluent or O2, I have it by the bucketful as long as I don't empty it in one long dive.
    If you're doing a lot of up and down fish stalking/chasing that would tilt things much more in favor of a needle valve/adjustable flow MCCR. An ECCR will waste a lot of O2 trying to maintain set point every time you ascend in a sawtooth profile. Not having a tight SP is no big deal as long as you have an integrated deco computer like the Shearwater/Nerd combo. If you know you're going to be swimming hard for a few minutes just dial up the flow on the needle valve.

As for hands free descents, I'm not sure how well the current ADV's like the one on an IBOV work but if they work well you would potentially not need your hands at all for a quick trip down 20'.

Ascending, you just make sure your OPV on the exhale lung is open as far as it can be and you shouldn't have to touch it, it will vent easily.

As for gas consumption, simple, just get a unit that allows you to put larger cylinders on it. Any unit without a cowling should easily allow you to put 30's, 40's or even larger. I've seen Pelagians with 40 cufts on them. And though it's sacrilege to some to say so, if you're not diving below 100', no deco you could decide to forgo bail out altogether with the bigger cylinders, as long as you have a 2nd stage attached to both regulators and plan to end each dive with sufficient gas pressure for a high RMV ascent...
    Last edited by silent running; 8th February 2018 at 20:44.

RBW Member chaetodon is an unknown quantity at this point chaetodon's Avatar
    none

I was going to use the diluent as bailout. I am used to this. Had my hose chopped off by boats, hookah failed on occasions and had to do free ascents from 80 feet. I guess lucky so far. I use to take a small bailout bottle in case this happens. I have a O2 hose under the boat to get back under if I have to surface and then go back to deco. Bailout doesn't worry me, I am not diving death zone depth. I want to dive with gear as compact as possible so if I use small cylinders and work out how much venting I am doing and adjust for that. I don't mind using the whole O2 and dil on a dive. Scrubber has to be redone and everything cleaned so I guess it no problem to change or fill bottles each time. I have my own compressor, 50 litre sources of O2 which I can decant in to the smaller cylinder

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by chaetodon  View Original Post
    I was going to use the diluent as bailout. I am used to this. Had my hose chopped off by boats, hookah failed on occasions and had to do free ascents from 80 feet. I guess lucky so far. I use to take a small bailout bottle in case this happens. I have a O2 hose under the boat to get back under if I have to surface and then go back to deco. Bailout doesn't worry me, I am not diving death zone depth. I want to dive with gear as compact as possible so if I use small cylinders and work out how much venting I am doing and adjust for that. I don't mind using the whole O2 and dil on a dive. Scrubber has to be redone and everything cleaned so I guess it no problem to change or fill bottles each time. I have my own compressor, 50 litre sources of O2 which I can decant in to the smaller cylinder
    you wont use all the o2 and you dont need dill to ascend on the unit . when its working as it should ,

but flood it or have a c02 problem then you will need some dill/bail out to get back to 6m and o2 use , or your doing a free ascent again . not the way to go, free ascent up your hookah line maybe ok , but with the breather you may stray some what lol no tether to hold you back or to follow home
    unless you just working round the boats anchor,

ps
    surface and down to 6m is well know for catching out ccr divers , best to all way use o2 from the surface down to 6m, dont rely on unit when you have no need to ,
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 8th February 2018 at 23:11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6