+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Is a rebreather for me

RBW Member chaetodon is an unknown quantity at this point chaetodon's Avatar
    none

Re: Is a rebreather for me

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius  View Original Post
    Ccr can be very beneficial for your work..
    On air diluent your depths are a sweetspot and the marine life encounter is a game changer

Just try it out.. if you start with a used classic inspiration you should get away with less than 2k including training nowadays
    Thanks Nitrogenius I am looking seriously in to it. I should fly to Germany and do the course over there. It will be cheaper for me. Its 3K here and counting ( with out a CCR !)

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Quote Originally Posted by chaetodon  View Original Post
    Thanks Nitrogenius I am looking seriously in to it. I should fly to Germany and do the course over there. It will be cheaper for me. Its 3K here and counting ( with out a CCR !)
    Well I was gonna say from what you wrote last, the better option might be leaving country for the training then.
    But I have a hard time that what you described should be everywhere in Oz..
    Maybe with those folks you interacted so far.. when these guys focus the CCR on deep technical diving that makes sense, but that's not what you want to do.
    There is a lot of agencies that offer training specifically for the "recreational" range on air diluent..
    So look around...
    you mentioned the south earlier.. maybe that's the way to go then.

Otherwise yes think of leaving the country. Germany might not be your best option as the flight will be very costy in the first place and it is cold water diving all along and folks there expect you to have your own equipment for advanced training..

Too explain my below 2k
    my MOD 1 Inspo course had cost 500 EUR
    and used classic Inspos in Europe are trading around 1k EUR these days..

ok if you want to pimp it on top of that like gobbler suggested, which is not a bad thought as well and add a hud and a constant mass flow valve. the latter will reduce the usage of the solenoid significantly - especially if you set it up to use the solenoid as last reort option and have unit run on low setpoint while you maintain hi setpoint manually you will have no solenoid clicks at all as long as you kept track of your O2..
    for those two you would likely have to add another 1k, but you can also do it in steps..

Have training get a cheap unit, get the feel for it how your work improves and then take it from there if you pimp your existing unit or you switch to some other unit..

Photographer & Journalist John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini Hybrid

If you use any local charter or club boats, make sure they will allow you to dive with a rebreather, either standard or modified.

I agree with the general advice about a cheap used inspo/evo as a starter. For 20m dives with no deco, onboard bailout or minimal offboard bailout will be fine - but don't let that creep up on deeper dives. Even once purchase costs are written off, a rebreather will cost you more per dive in general running costs.

Beware that once you start pimping a cheap used unit with HUD, CMF valve, Shearwater computer etc, your costs will slowly creep to the point where you may be closer to buying a more recent used or even a new unit, just not all in one go.

Whatever you get, make sure you can get parts and support conveniently. The best rebreather in the world is no use if the only support is on the other side of the world.

When working with a rebreather its all about developing a habbit/routine. Take a photo, check handset. Spot an interesting fish, check handset before creeping in. Make notes on slate, check handset. Change direction, check handset. Change depth, check handset......

RBW Member Mike_Eitel is an unknown quantity at this point Mike_Eitel's Avatar
    MeCCRxWi

MeRAY, MeTravox,MeCCRV"x,Inspi

Hi
    One not discussed point
    I'm in similar age as you and feel better after dive with rb. Same my collegues say what i conduct down to betters optimzed gas mix.
    My 5 Cents.
    Have made, modified and use several rbd.
    For my wifeh i choosed Inspi HW, AV1 controller plus needle valve.
    Mike

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

Okay ... from a local perspective I don't know who you have been talking tooooo but stop it now !

"The big problem I have here is doing a courses is $3000 and I will be treated like a freshman. I need to do 100 hours advanced nitrox before they will allow me to go near CCR"

The course is only $1500 and you don't need any nitrox qual for it - if your nitrox ignorant then we can cover it in the basic mod 1 course.

Two - I tell all my students this ... think back to when you got your OC cert, you were hopeless and this only changed with practice. Well its the same for your CCR mod 1 cert, you will be hopeless and will need to practise.

The worst type of divers to teach CCR in my view are the full OC Trimix guys, they get frustrated with the fact that they can't do the perfect superman pose bollocks straight off. I would include your experience within that group - what experience you have will count for Jack mate - you will be a CCR Muppet for a while.

regards Baz

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza  View Original Post
    The course is only $1500 and you don't need any nitrox qual for it - if your nitrox ignorant then we can cover it in the basic mod 1 course.
    What a bargain :)

Seems If I would ever want to decide to try to make my living with diving instruction OZ is the place to go..

none

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza  View Original Post
    Okay ... from a local perspective I don't know who you have been talking tooooo but stop it now !

"The big problem I have here is doing a courses is $3000 and I will be treated like a freshman. I need to do 100 hours advanced nitrox before they will allow me to go near CCR"

Two - I tell all my students this ... think back to when you got your OC cert, you were hopeless and this only changed with practice. Well its the same for your CCR mod 1 cert, you will be hopeless and will need to practise.

The worst type of divers to teach CCR in my view are the full OC Trimix guys, they get frustrated with the fact that they can't do the perfect superman pose bollocks straight off. I would include your experience within that group - what experience you have will count for Jack mate - you will be a CCR Muppet for a while.

regards Baz
    I just sent you an email, I understand this is new to me and I am a novice. I have a couple of boats geared up for diving hookah and scuba. ( don't need to use the local dive club boats and gear etc) When I wanted to start using nitrox my local dive shop wouldn't fill my O2 clean scuba tanks I just bought from one of their members. Fair enough the rules here in Queensland ( same in other states) are you need to do the nitrox course to have your bottles filled. This can be done online. Okay easy. The only other thing is two dives are required and come to the dive shop and we show you how to use the analyser. All States except Queensland will fill your two bottles you can do your dives in your own time, own boat and your good to go.
    Ticket is written out and can have my tanks PP filed or continuous blend whatever. Big Difference here in Queensland is they make you do your two dives with whichever local club offer the course whether online or at the dive shop. This is true both local dive shops told me this its Queensland's WPHS rules. So an extra 250 bucks to dive with them. Have to use their dive gear because I am so old school, don't use a BC or dive computer I just use dive tables. Stuff this, I read everything about nitrox, a mate of mine does his own blending and so I started doing it myself. That's what I mean about being a freshman. I understand I am a total muppet for this new RB world, but I want to try it out to see if it will work for me. Haven't spoken to anyone here but only a couple of places in Brisbane do this. Read their websites on pricing and what they want from me. Yes it is deep diving but when you read their write up there is no compromising. I haven't bothered to call anyone. I will call you Bazza but its six of one to come to Sydney and do your course, unless it can be done in a day. I don't need a piece of paper. I just need to learn how to do this. How many people do courses and there is so much involved how much do you retain a week later? Even first aid which we all have to do covers sooo much, what if we had to save someone a week later. We would have to get the book out to see what to do. I need some desktop prac, theory, a CCR unit to go through thoroughly, the manual and then like a muppet softly softly start using the equipment. Happy to fly to Sydney if we could cover it in a short period? Thanks for your imput I appreciate it

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius  View Original Post
    What a bargain :)

Seems If I would ever want to decide to try to make my living with diving instruction OZ is the place to go..

Back in 2005 noddy1 cost me 600uk pounds about 1100 aud, 13 years on and nothing gets cheaper inflation and the like , plus all the hoops liabilty and regulations over in OZ must add up, making diving more expensive ,
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 6th February 2018 at 22:31.

none

Quote Originally Posted by Gobfish1  View Original Post
    Back in 2005 noddy1 cost me 600uk pounds about 1100 aud, 13 years on and nothing gets cheaper inflation and the like , plus all the hoops liabilty and regulations over in OZ must add up, making diving more expensive ,
    True, its getting harder here with Workplace Health and Safety rules if you want to certified. There are no real laws for anyone to do what they personally want to do diving. I make my own nitrox and do O2 deco ( on industrial welding cylinder). There is no laws I know of to stop a rec diver doing whatever he wants. As soon as its the professional field WPHS say, No ! you have to do over the top training. its all liability issues. I am sick of it.
    I just want to find a buddy who's doing RB and learn from them. I will look at buying a cheap AP classic like you guys recommend and study the hell out of it.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by chaetodon  View Original Post
    True, its getting harder here with Workplace Health and Safety rules if you want to certified. There are no real laws for anyone to do what they personally want to do diving. I make my own nitrox and do O2 deco ( on industrial welding cylinder). There is no laws I know of to stop a rec diver doing whatever he wants. As soon as its the professional field WPHS say, No ! you have to do over the top training. its all liability issues. I am sick of it.
    I just want to find a buddy who's doing RB and learn from them. I will look at buying a cheap AP classic like you guys recommend and study the hell out of it.
    give this one a go m8 ,
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...Vw1osFGwCqn-A4

im not a fan of rules and badges my self , and see nothing wrong with a bit of self learning ,
    after reading the above i was happy to take my unit in the water , did the noddy1 just to have someone say yes your doing it the right way .

turned out grasshopper know more than the master , but i had a nice weeks diving. so all was not lost , just had to play dum for the week lol

you can alway pm me if you want to ask something , off line please due to liability issues
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 6th February 2018 at 23:51.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast