+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stinky breathing hoses!?

RBW Member nowherers is an unknown quantity at this point nowherers's Avatar
    rEvo II RMS

Stinky breathing hoses!?

Hello,

i just got an used rEvo II and will have my MOD1 course early march.
    At the moment i am taking care of the unit. Changed some old MD-hoses, rewired the complete unit and stuff like that.

But i am a bit concerned about the breathing hoses. They smell in a way that its really uncomfortable to me. I had them soaked in a Virkon S solution and cleaned them with a brush from the inside. But it still smells funny.

Any Ideas? Is it normal? Or get new ones?

cheers, bas

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

Re: Stinky breathing hoses!?

Hello,
    If it smells really bad, change them. They are standard Draëger Ray hoses if you can get them cheaper or easier.

Stéphane Acounis

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

If they are not cleaning up, replace them. My new ones are odor free.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

First and foremost, I am not telling you the hoses are OK. I am not there to verify.

Please remember that almost any plastic or rubber type of material will offgas and cause an odor. The newer it is the stronger the smell will be.

Perhaps compare to another divers hose before getting overly excited? A good scrubbing with disinfectant has always removed the mold and swamp debis along with the smell for me.

If you remain uncomfortable, then by all means change them. You do not want little demons talking in your head during a dive.

I can get away with the demons since they are always talking to me and I an used to it.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member markdol2 is an unknown quantity at this point markdol2's Avatar
    hammerhead extreeme

Your own breathing hoses are nasty enough why would you want to swap saliva with a stranger! I even change mine out every year or 2 depending how much diving i get in. I dont wory about small leaks in the loop from hoses either.
    Last edited by markdol2; 29th January 2018 at 02:27.

THE FROGMAN amir is an unknown quantity at this point amir's Avatar
    rEvo 3 micro hybrid RMS

lets break this down
    revo 2 came out in 2007 or earlier if im not mistaker now we are on 2018 lets say your unit is 10 years old
    on your revo manual page 29 it says all rubber parts including hoses have a life time of maximum 10 years after that it must be replaced , BUT if the rubber parts was subjected to direct sunlight then the life time decrease
    my friend stored his unit in a pelican case with hose not fully dry from the inside over a week it had that FUNNY smell that u talk about and had some fungus even after he wash it many time it still have that cheesy weird smell
    I would suggest to get another new one will cost you 120 euro + shipping and tax
    if you want rubber one , I have one used for training only before I switched to copper hoses
    Attached Images

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by amir  View Original Post
    lets break this down
    I have one used for training only before I switched to copper hoses
    cooper hoses have known to off-gas under certain conditions. you might want to check on that first.

THE FROGMAN amir is an unknown quantity at this point amir's Avatar
    rEvo 3 micro hybrid RMS

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    cooper hoses have known to off-gas under certain conditions. you might want to check on that first.
    thank you for the information .... can you explain further please
    or if you have any article or previous thread could you send me the link

IANTD rEvo Instructor koni is an unknown quantity at this point koni's Avatar
    rEvo III mini&micro rMS NERD

Inspiration Vision, Hammerhead

It depends on your location and other reasons:
    The coopers are not CE-evaluated, and the are hard, with the standard-hoses it's much easier for the diver, to rotate the head. With the coopers, the divers head is a bit like "fixed" by the coopers.

The rEvo-hoses where produced in the past by draeger, draeger stopped producing them "years" ago.

The rEvo-hoses are produced by rEvo themselve.

A rEvo II is a many years old unit, so there are more parts to replace, note the manual that frogman wrote (the actual manual is awailable on www.revo-rebreathers.com).

regards
    Koni

RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    rEvo iii

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    Likewise can you give any further details of this off-gassing?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast