+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Choosing GF factors

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Re: Choosing GF factors

Guess the 30/70 default in the Shearwater is nice and conservative. So far I have not found a need to change it to anything more aggressive. But I have only done deco on OC, still early in my transition to the rebreather.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by hroark2112  View Original Post
    What PO2 were you running? I notice you said it was lower than you would have liked.
    It averaged under 1.0 for the descent and ascent until my deco stops. I was really aiming for it to be more like 1.2-1.3
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by cb1  View Original Post
    And what % He was in the mix.
    My mix was 5/80.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Pucks & sharks! hroark2112 is an unknown quantity at this point hroark2112's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit LTE

Kiss Sport, DiveRite O2ptima

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    It averaged under 1.0 for the descent and ascent until my deco stops. I was really aiming for it to be more like 1.2-1.3

Gotcha.

Best of luck getting back into the water!

RBW Member ChristianM is an unknown quantity at this point ChristianM's Avatar
    Dolphin SCR/CCR

Obviously I need to learn a lot more too. Today is the two month anniversary of my BEND-O-MATIC dive. I am still out of the water and still making small improvements in my recovery attempts.

I have learned that my antique body requires more deco time for extremely deep dives than I previously had thought. I am not 100% sure what GF changes I will make when/if I return to diving, but for deep stuff, I assure your there will be changes.

Sorry to hear this from you. I hope you recover soon. But stay safe and take your time.

Cheers,
    Christian

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Hi Don, very sorry to hear about this, wishing you a full recovery. Do you mind telling us what caused the lower than intended PO2? Thanks, -Andy

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hi Don, very sorry to hear about this, wishing you a full recovery. Do you mind telling us what caused the lower than intended PO2? Thanks, -Andy
    Just me having my head up my arse and not manually maintaining worth a damn. Solenoid never fired, so I was not completely asleep at the controls. I fly manual with a hybrid unit so the solenoid is basically a parachute.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

RBW Member NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

I fly manual with a hybrid unit so the solenoid is basically a parachute.
    I've never understood this 'parachute' bollocks.

Essentially it's: I don't trust a solenoid to deliver my chosen PO2 so I'll use a leaky valve and manually correct when I'm working harder than baseline. But, if I or the leaky valve fucks up, the solenoid will be there to save me.

What could possibly go wrong?

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by NickB  View Original Post
    I've never understood this 'parachute' bollocks.

Essentially it's: I don't trust a solenoid to deliver my chosen PO2 so I'll use a leaky valve and manually correct when I'm working harder than baseline. But, if I or the leaky valve fucks up, the solenoid will be there to save me.

What could possibly go wrong?
    Just because you do not understand it does not make it bollocks.

Any diver, I repeat ANY DIVER, including yourself is capable of having a bad day and not keeping the PO2 up on a manual unit. It could be something as simple as a MAV or ADV with a bit of internal leakage into the loop or a fast ascent causing it. Having the solenoid there is nothing more than another layer of protection.

I fly my unit strictly manual and leave the setpoint at .4. I would be perfectly content to dive a fully manual unit too. I have even turned a perfectly functional Defender into a hybrid as this is my preference to dive a manual rather than electronic unit.

RBW Member NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Just because you do not understand it does not make it bollocks.
    In that case, help me out and explain it.

Why run an electronic CCR manually? Is it just for shits and giggles or to prove how much smarter than a machine you are?

Also, try to explain it without using the word ‘fly’, which just makes you sound a bit ridiculous.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast