+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Meg 2.1 Is it worth it

RBW Member fletcher is on a distinguished road fletcher is on a distinguished road fletcher's Avatar

Meg 2.1 Is it worth it

Hi guys,

I could get a meg ccr apecs 2.1 basically unused for a good price.
    As i live in belgium, it would be easier to buy a revo.
    But, why not a meg? Is it still possible to find somebody to service a 2.1 in europe? Will i find spare parts? Is it possible to upgrade it to meg 15?
    Is there anyone still diving a 2.1?
    I want to avoid buying a machine that would need a lot of Investment afterwards.

So, guys, what do you think?

RBW Member haaginheimer is an unknown quantity at this point haaginheimer's Avatar
    KISS GEM (modified)

Dolphin, Prism 2, Poseidon

Re: Meg 2.1 Is it worth it

No integrated deco. You cannot upgrade the head to a Meg15

If you want to instruct you will need to buy the Meg15 head.

Rock solid unit though. Loop, canister, scrubber have not changed. Just the head for an upgrade. A new Meg15 head runs around 6k USD

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher  View Original Post
    Hi guys,

I could get a meg ccr apecs 2.1 basically unused for a good price.
    As i live in belgium, it would be easier to buy a revo.
    But, why not a meg? Is it still possible to find somebody to service a 2.1 in europe? Will i find spare parts? Is it possible to upgrade it to meg 15?
    Is there anyone still diving a 2.1?
    I want to avoid buying a machine that would need a lot of Investment afterwards.

So, guys, what do you think?

RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States
    Meg

Homebuilt

no official service for the electronics as they were obsolete several years ago and the 2.7 that you could upgrade them to easily was rendered obsolete on the first of this year. You can easily convert to mCCR if it dies though, but have to pull everything out and put something like an OSTC/Shearwater in there and fit a leaky valve of some variety.

Meg15 upgrade possible as mentioned above, but you have to buy a brand new head and it isn't cheap. Loop/scrubber/can is the same though.

I love my meg, it's awesome, I certainly think it is better than the Revo for the type of diving I do, but if I was in Europe, I'm not entirely sure I would go for a Meg because of proximity to service which does mean a lot on something electronic. I'd be looking at a JJ or one of the Czech units before I looked at the Meg if I were in Europe

RBW Member jvos is on a distinguished road jvos is on a distinguished road jvos's Avatar
    Apeks Meg

BMR500 IDA

I have been diving a Meg 2.06 for about 10 years. Haven't missed a dive yet because of the unit. I had to have the battery box fixed once when a battery leaked inside. Only problem I have ever had.

Jeff

RBW Member Ballester is an unknown quantity at this point Ballester's Avatar
    MEG CCR

Megalodon, Sentinel Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004  View Original Post
    no official service for the electronics as they were obsolete several years ago and the 2.7 that you could upgrade them to easily was rendered obsolete on the first of this year. You can easily convert to mCCR if it dies though, but have to pull everything out and put something like an OSTC/Shearwater in there and fit a leaky valve of some variety.

Meg15 upgrade possible as mentioned above, but you have to buy a brand new head and it isn't cheap. Loop/scrubber/can is the same though.

I love my meg, it's awesome, I certainly think it is better than the Revo for the type of diving I do, but if I was in Europe, I'm not entirely sure I would go for a Meg because of proximity to service which does mean a lot on something electronic. I'd be looking at a JJ or one of the Czech units before I looked at the Meg if I were in Europe

Bullshit. Head 2.01 shares exactly the same components as the 2.07 head. Only the electronics were decommissioned but there is still lots of stock of brand new ones.

Dennis Vessey in the UK is the official repair center for Europe. I have 2 meg units for 10 years. Never missed a dive and never had been sent to repair. Everything is maintained by the user only if... and I repeat IF the electronics fail is that you have to sent it back to the dealer to be repaired.
    And by the way YES you can still be certified on the 2.01 all the Meg instructors will do that.

RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States
    Meg

Homebuilt

Ballester,
    what was bullshit? my comments were about the electronics, and hopefully they'll still be willing to upgrade a 2.0x to 2.7 if it dies, though like you said, odds are pretty low. That said, the benefits of trying to get it up to a 2.7 are the ability to put a fischer connector on it for something with integrated deco or a slightly better display

good to know about Vessey in the UK, there is nothing on their site about any other factory authorized locations for service
    Last edited by tbone1004; 17th January 2018 at 15:57.

RBW Member fullytek is an unknown quantity at this point fullytek's Avatar
    megabastard

I have a 2.1 and a 2.7
    I called ISC last year to ask if they would take my 2.01 and make it into a 2.7
    They refused.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by fullytek  View Original Post
    I have a 2.1 and a 2.7
    They refused.
    They did mine about 2 yrs ago. But mine broke and the put a fisher on the secondary side as well. Just upgrading for upgrade sake I have to ask why? There is no functional difference

RBW Member fullytek is an unknown quantity at this point fullytek's Avatar
    megabastard

I would like to upgrade in order to accomadate a Fisher cable
    So I can have onboard deco.

Hammermeg, Copis2, Kiss divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe's Avatar
    Meg 2.7, Hammermeg, copis meg

Kiss Sport, Draeger dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by fullytek  View Original Post
    I have a 2.1 and a 2.7
    They refused.
    Give them a try again, I believe that since you inquired they have been able to secure a new source of replacement parts to do your upgrade.

Gabe
    worth a call

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast