+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sofnalime use by date?

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Sofnalime use by date?

So what's the current thinking on this

My mate has some lime over a year out of date and to the best of my knowledge its fine to use, but I was wondering of theres any more up to date thinking on this as its been a while since the last thread.

Obviously lime in original barrels with lids on during that time.

ATB

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: Sofnalime use by date?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post

My mate has some lime over a year out of date and to the best of my knowledge its fine to use, but I was wondering of theres any more up to date thinking on this as its been a while since the last thread.

ATB
    IBottled water has an exiry date on it too.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member DeathBoxDiving is an unknown quantity at this point DeathBoxDiving's Avatar
    FrankenTitan

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post

ATB
    While most, if not all, expiration dates are heavily padded for safety ask yourself what your life is worth.

RBW Member macado is an unknown quantity at this point macado's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini-Aquaseal Edition

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBoxDiving  View Original Post
    While most, if not all, expiration dates are heavily padded for safety ask yourself what your life is worth.
    Based on this my life is worth approximately $100 USD.

I think it will honestly depend on how it was stored. e.g., climate controlled, not in direct sunlight, still sealed.

I've used some (2 kegs) a little over year out of expiration with no perceived ill effects that I can tell.

My gut feeling is I have no problem using "expired" sorb provided I know the history of it.

Like you, I would also like to know if anyone has any updated information regarding such practices.

Where does one draw the line is the question? I felt pretty comfortable using some a year out of date but not so sure I'd feel the same way with something 5-10+ years past shelf life. I guess I arbitrarily draw the line at 5 years..

Photographer & Journalist John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini Hybrid

I have used up the remains of open and out of date last season's sorb by putting it in the first scrubber with new sorb in the second scrubber (rEvo), then replacing both after time rather than rotating.

But it was early-season dives and not particularly arduous, so not in any way a conclusive test.

(So that makes my life worth 1/2 a sorb fill)

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

storage is a huge factor..
    if conditions are known i would not worry too much..
    in fact I am currently in same boat.. but I use it in a revo with rms .. so double scrubber and guesstimate available dur8ng the dive which should tell one ‘odd’ begaviour well in adavance of critical condition..

I think the right question is not how much is your
    ief worth as this seems to blow the issue out of proportion but more so what is ease of mind during dive worth..

+ Reply to Thread