+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How it really is with FISHER connector?

RBW Member Vito is an unknown quantity at this point Vito's Avatar
    under development

How it really is with FISHER connector?

Hi
    If I can ask somebody to help me find the specification of fisher connector.I have rEvo and thinking to get rid of rEvodream I mean nightmare :D and change this for other computers like shearwater petrel 2 EXT with Fisher connector. I see on rEvo web page that such cable is possible to be assembled in my reb.
    the reason why im puting this topic is fact that I see lots of "not so optimistic" about such solution related to this connector which has some problems.. like connection lost after 60-70m deep or special oil has to be used.
    I never use that connection before so i would like to ask more experienced people for advise how it really is with this connector is that good way?
    or maybe is possible to install Molex cable with different connector??? (which connector)

thank you for advice
    Vito

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg + sidewinder

Re: How it really is with FISHER connector?

I have a few hundred hours on my fisher connector. While not as robust as a hardwired connection it works fine. The oil is only to keep corrosion off the connections inside. I renew the drop every time I disconnect it which is rare. Its only mineral oil, you can get 200mL of it for almost nothing at a pharmacy or grocery store.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

I have a Shearwater with fisher on my revo, never had a problem in 5 years but I must admit I donít connect end disconnect every time, maybe only once or twice a year so I could just as well have one hardwired.
    If you donít plan on using it for OC diving as well then I would just order a hardwired.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

I dove a Shearwater with a Fisher connection on my rig for about 150 hours before I brutalized it.

I replaced it with a hard wired Shearwater and use the old one as a back up computer.

With care the Fisher is fine, but not as robust as hard wired.

RBW Member macado is an unknown quantity at this point macado's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini-Aquaseal Edition

I have ~400 hours on a my Fischer cable with Shearwater Pretel which was used when I got it so I'm guessing it has quite a bit more hours than that..

While not the most resilient connection, as long as you maintain it they work fine. Clean pins with DeoxIT and coat/fill connector with food grade mineral oil. Just understand it is a weak point and take care of it.

Shearwater has a good article by Curt McNamee that explains the process well.
    https://www.shearwater.com/wp-conten...intenance1.pdf

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I was told that spraying deoxit in the fischer connection of the computer was a bad for the o ring seal.

Interesting, Curt seems to say thats just fine.

RBW Member zturtle is an unknown quantity at this point zturtle's Avatar
    rEvo micor FT

Hi
    Both my wife and I have Shearwater NERDS on our rEvo with Fischer connections. So far seems to be good. The NERD is on the loop so every time the loop comes off the cable end gets disconnected from the loop (NERD). If you go this route let me know. I added the 3 cells for the NERD (total of 6). The Fischer cable should have 3 molex connections. Also be aware that cable is one continuous cable. So getting your cell tray out is not easy. I donít think they have changed to add a disconnect before the molex. I modified our Fischer cables to have a wetmate type of connection similar to the standard rEvo.
    DonZ

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

What is up with the Russian spam on all threads?!

RBW Member andrelds is an unknown quantity at this point andrelds's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro

Meg APECS 2.7

Hi zturtle,
    Interesting modifications you did to your rEvo.
    Can we see pictures of your 6 cells tray and also the modified Fischer cable with a wetmate type of connection?
    Thanks in advance

RBW Member ntokyo is an unknown quantity at this point ntokyo's Avatar
    Copis Hammer Mini

rEvo II mCCR

On rEvo it is quite simple to hardwire a Shearwater with the PG7 plugs, I do not really see the points of having a fisher connector. I would go with the hardwired option.
    It would avoid you the scenario where your computer disconnect under water...
    If I need to remove it and replug a revodream it can be one quite easily without sending to factory. Just buy a nice cover to put on your Shearwater.

+ Reply to Thread