+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Drysuit inflation

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Re: Drysuit inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    plus, unless you really really screwed up and wound up seriously negative, you dont descend that quickly
    Lol! Nope. Having had a serious suit rip and having to fumble while gasping in shock from the cold water, I can assure you that you are incorrect. I dropped like a stone.

Good luck with that.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

and how the heck does that have a thing to do with losing a source gas? You lost buoyancy, and has nothing to do with losing a source gas.
    Last edited by Jeff Pack; 9th January 2018 at 02:57.

Banned sailor is on a distinguished road sailor is on a distinguished road sailor's Avatar
    TR300c hCCR, Ray mCCR

Dolphin, Inspiration Vision

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVICEG  View Original Post
    If I am on a big dive I also run a wee tank of O2 for redundancy. I have used that to supliment my suit gas when it runs out.
    If I understand you right you planned and used your backup O2 also as backup suit inflation ???
    No good idea at all from my point of view.

Banned sailor is on a distinguished road sailor is on a distinguished road sailor's Avatar
    TR300c hCCR, Ray mCCR

Dolphin, Inspiration Vision

and how the heck does that have a thing to do with losing a source gas? You lost buoyancy, and has nothing to do with losing a source gas.
    A small leak using up your inflation gas can end up in a big leak.
    Thats loss of buoyancy and loss of inflation gas simultaneously.
    Here I'm absolutly with Peter.
    Last edited by sailor; 9th January 2018 at 13:01.

RBW Member jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Already have, its not a big deal if you train for it
    I guess my question on this would be why use a configuration like that in the first place when it is so easy to configure the sources of gas to avoid having to rely on being able to do a quick switch (ie training) alone? Sod's law suggests it will still go to the dogs when the shit hits the fan. It may be manageable and you can train yourself to be able to do ninja-quick switches.... but do you need to do it at all?

Roland Somodi rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver's Avatar
    Homebuilt(s)

Inspiration Classic

Don't want to fuel the argument, but as one who mainly dives in caves (exploration dives) I always try to be prepared for the unexpected. Redundancy is the key to survival. I even have a small 2liter O2 bottle on the right side, opposite of the argon driving the orifice while the solenoid is driven by the onboard O2 in my reb.As stated in my previous post, I have a small 1 liter bottle for drysuit inflation, an extra BCD QC hanging off the left connected to onboard diluent (it's always tmx, but better to have cold gas than no gas at all) and all my BO have a BCD QC to connect to where ever needed.I know the more you have the more failure points you introduce to the setup, but at some point you have to make a compromise. If you want to be 100% safe, just sit on a couch and watch videos online other people post about their dives. We all gonna die one day, but it matters when and how. just my 2 cents worth...

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg + sidewinder

Quote Originally Posted by sailor  View Original Post
    If I understand you right you planned and used your backup O2 also as backup suit inflation ???
    No good idea at all from my point of view.
    Many cave divers carry some form of redundant O2. If you run out of suit gas while puffing yourself up on deco you can plug the extra O2 into your suit.

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by 4ster  View Original Post
    ^this

I use my suit for my main buoyancy control and the wing is backup.
    ^ +1. Largely due to the constant 38*F water temps year round, I prefer to keep the drysuit comfortable and holding buoyancy.

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

Wing from dil and my suit plugged into my nitric bailout.

The only case I can see for a separate suit inflate is conserving the nitrox bailout if on a long week of diving and avoiding having to refill the bailout.

I am all for the less is more mantra.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3