+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One Piece Harness with AP BMCLs

RBW Member Dabbskebabs is an unknown quantity at this point Dabbskebabs's Avatar
    AP Inspiration xpd

Lightbulb One Piece Harness with AP BMCLs

Hi all,

New to RBW, tried looking for an answer but unsuccessful so far. Sorry if there is, please just post a link if so.

Started CCR diving in June, 40 hours in, the only thing I miss is my one piece harness (OPH) from my OC days. As much as I want to avoid fiddling for the time being, I just don't like it, and as Christmas is coming up...

Is there a backplate I can put on that'll accommodate a OPH with the BMCLs? Or a way with a small amount of fiddling that I can make one fit?

Thanks for any help and Merry Christmas,

Leon

RBW Member ahereng is an unknown quantity at this point ahereng's Avatar

Re: One Piece Harness with AP BMCLs

I'm not a AP-diver myself, but Kent tooling have different solutions.
    http://www.divingproducts.co.uk/oc/i...ory&path=68_95

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

Most people go with either the backplate with cutouts and/or put a spacer between the unit and lungs. Here's a FB post of a guy who made cutouts himself.

FWIW, one of my regular dive buddies used a plastic DR backplate with BMCL, the stock wing, and the tech/travel canister, and did not use either a spacer or make cutouts in his backplate.

Jim

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Welcome. And I'm still looking for the same system that works for me!

RBW Member Vanny is an unknown quantity at this point Vanny's Avatar
    Inspo vision

I use the diving products BMCL specific stainless BP. It doesn't have a top to it so it's like an upside down T. You still use the lungs as the top half of the harness clipping into the bottom webbing. It's not a fully OPH but better than the original. The plate I choose is the heavier 3kg. I've also gone with their frame which works well. Rubbish at putting photos up pm me an email if you want a photo or 2.

James Jennings TheBcDiver is an unknown quantity at this point TheBcDiver's Avatar

Give John at Kent tooling a shout. I got one of his backplate that are specifically for ap bmcls but had it modified slightly so I could thread a harness through the top of it, taking the weight of the unit rather than the lung outers. He may have made a couple of them.
    Attached Images

RBW Member Dabbskebabs is an unknown quantity at this point Dabbskebabs's Avatar
    AP Inspiration xpd

Thanks for the replies and advice all.

Moosegrunt, thanks for the link - I'm not brave enough to attempt cut outs! Might have a crack at the spacing though with my old harness.

Vanny, I saw the Kent Tooling one that utilises the buckles built onto the APD BMCLs and would've gone to that had there not been a solution. I agree that it's a nicer option than the stock harness.

The BCDiver, that looks perfect, minimal fiddling on my part. I'll give them a call in the New Year. Thanks a bunch.

Cheers everyone,

Leon

RBW Member panthalassa is an unknown quantity at this point panthalassa's Avatar
    vision

I use one of the oxycheq travel plates. The cutouts very nicely fit around the edges of the lungs. This is the one I use: http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/...s-s-backplate/

I'm still tweaking my setup though. One issue I've found is that with the one-piece harness adjusted the way I typically like it, the small amount of slack allows the lungs to float up a bit off my shoulders, which is obviously less than ideal. I've since tightened everything up but I haven't had a chance to get back in the water with it. I may end up putting something like rollers or a cinch-type system on my plate so I can pull the shoulder straps tighter in to my body.

AP Inspiration xpd

Quote Originally Posted by panthalassa  View Original Post
    I use one of the oxycheq travel plates. The cutouts very nicely fit around the edges of the lungs. This is the one I use: http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/...s-s-backplate/

I'm still tweaking my setup though. One issue I've found is that with the one-piece harness adjusted the way I typically like it, the small amount of slack allows the lungs to float up a bit off my shoulders, which is obviously less than ideal. I've since tightened everything up but I haven't had a chance to get back in the water with it. I may end up putting something like rollers or a cinch-type system on my plate so I can pull the shoulder straps tighter in to my body.
    My plan is to put the KT version of the cinch on it (http://www.divingproducts.co.uk/oc/i...product_id=281
    ). I was just going to put it on to make it easier to get on and off, but that's a great point, thanks.

Cheers for the backplate link,

Leon

RBW Member jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Dabbskebabs  View Original Post
    My plan is to put the KT version of the cinch on it (http://www.divingproducts.co.uk/oc/i...product_id=281
    ). I was just going to put it on to make it easier to get on and off, but that's a great point, thanks.

Cheers for the backplate link,

Leon
    I used to have a OPH with the FMCL and to be honest, if the harness is setup "DIR style" tight, the lungs don't move enough to cause a problem and the BMCLs should move even less, as the bottom is fixed and the top is held by the loop. I used to use the KT rollers and again to be honest, found them ok but not necessary if the harness was setup properly. I have a set spare if you want to have them to try out...?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast