+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hundreds of dead sharks wash up on Iranian island

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Hundreds of dead sharks wash up on Iranian island

Image copyright Getty Images
    Image caption The sharks are thought to have been killed for their fins
    Hundreds of dead sharks have been found washed up on the shores of Iran's Shif island.
    Some fishermen catch the sharks for their fins, which are believed to have medicinal properties, officials say.
    After cutting off the fins, they throw the dead sharks in the sea because they fear they will be fined.
    The sharks end up washing up on the beach, an environment official in the southern port city of Bushehr is quoted as saying by IRNA news agency.
    The price for 1kg (2.2lb) of shark fin is about $2 (£1.50), the director-general of the Environmental Protection Organisation, Hoseyn Delshab, said.

Shark fishing was banned in Iran in 2014 over concerns the population was facing extinction.
    The fine for catching a shark is about $7,000.
    The finding is "an alarm about the extinction of sharks" in the Gulf, Mr Delshab said.

Read original at: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42409576

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Re: Hundreds of dead sharks wash up on Iranian island

Thanks for this, so awful.

Is anybody trying to put political pressure on the Asian countries that buy the fins?

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Not that I am aware of! Increasing awareness is one of the steps to make it stop. That is why I keep posting these. Tell you friends....maybe they think twice about eating shark fin soup! I boycott Asian eateries that offer the soup and I tell them.

To point out: these same Asian Countries shark fin in Costa Rican waters without repercussions by the government. All they had to do is "buy" them a new stadium.

Atrocious!

C
    Last edited by dreamdive; 21st December 2017 at 13:14.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    Not that I am aware of! Increasing awareness is one of the steps to make it stop. That is why I keep posting these. Tell you friends....maybe they think twice about eating shark fin soup! I boycott Asian eateries that offer the soup and I tell them.

To point out: these same Asian Countries shark fin in Costa Rican waters without repercussions by the government. All they had to do is "buy" them a new stadium.

Atrocious!
    C
    Yes Claudia, I will and have done the same in Chinese restaurants.

It's really amazing to consider all the other animals with good press like polar bears, whales, elephants but no love for sharks. Totally unacceptable!

Can anybody think of who in the Federal government we could petition?

+ Reply to Thread