+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: To NERD or not to NERD

RBW Member ECho is on a distinguished road ECho is on a distinguished road ECho's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

Meg

Re: To NERD or not to NERD

Quote Originally Posted by beldridg  View Original Post
    Agreed. I've wondered if you could get a CANbus version of the Nerd2 and just use that to monitor the two cells. They show one on the Shearwater website so I know they manufacture it. I'm just not sure if/how you would add those two additional cells to the CANbus.
    This would require a complete redesign of the CAN Bus system and battery box. With that said, in theory, it should be possible, though to have a completely separate CAN Bus for the PPO2 monitor seems, to me, to be adding complexity where it really isn’t needed. It should be noted that other Shearwater equipped CCRs, like the P2, have the monitor on the CAN Bus, simplifying the wiring, but also removing the independent of the monitor for all other systems... IMHO, having a completely separate monitor is worth the extra cabling.

In regards to using a NERD whilst creating photos, that’s a good point. Personally, my workaround on that is to have the NERD in front of my non-dominant eye... which happened because I was too lazy to flip the mount when I got the unit. I’m very left eye dominant and thought having it in front of my right eye would make it difficult to read. However, I have been pleasantly surprised that it’s not! This frees my “good” eye to read the viewfinder. One caveat, however, is that I’m not so great a photographer, so, maybe, having the NERD in the periphery doesn’t take away from my ability to compose a shot, because that’s already crap... ��
    Last edited by ECho; 18th December 2017 at 19:50.

RBW Member Semaj is an unknown quantity at this point Semaj's Avatar
    rEvo III RMS

[QUOTE] The argument that the other ones are your oldest and therefore potentially weakest is flawed. Any cell can fail at any time.. If a cell fails on my controlling unit. THAT is the one I want to get aware of ASAP as from then on it can get dangerous..
    The "dream" cells are sole backup and a verification from time to time that these are in range as well is purely enough. So somewhat a "waste" of a NERD. [QUOTE]

Whilst I am aware that new cells can fail, in the nearly 5 years I have had my rEvo I have never had a newer cell (with the 3 newest cells on my controller) fail or even voted out . From time to time one of my two older cells (on the dream) will begin to read significantly higher, even after a calibration (a sign of cell failure). I have never had a cell showing any of the classic signs of being current limited and have only had one instance where a cell failed to calibrate on the dream due to not being within the MV range. I follow the rEvo 6 month cell replacement policy so my oldest cell is 3 years old when removed from my unit, and in my experience these are the cells that most likely to fail or show erroneous readings so place these cells on the Dream which is my back up and my newest cells on the controller.

My approach is to have my newest and best cells on my controller that control the solenoid and decompression and the two older cells on the dream, which is a back up.

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj  View Original Post
    My approach is to have my newest and best cells on my controller that control the solenoid and decompression and the two older cells on the dream, which is a back up.
    And that is also how it should be.
    of course you want the potentially best cells on the controller.
    Also okder cells have a higher likelyhood to fail. but yet have the newer ones also alikelyhood to fail.
    Having the Nerd on the non controlling cells and the controlling cell read by wrist unit only is prone to lead to complacency in actually not reading you controlling cells as they are on the wrist much more than a Hud..
    also if the nerd replaces the wrist controller one has all cells close at the eye as the huds of the dreams remain.
    again given that a nerd now can read also 2 cells only, if one already spends the money on a nerd the best usage is as controller ..

RBW Member JonnyQuest is an unknown quantity at this point JonnyQuest's Avatar

Thanks all for the valuable input. I have made my choice and I will be getting the NERD 2 with the Fischer cable for my Revo. I will most like do the common setup of the predator controller hardwire (that my unit has) and the NERD connected to 2 cells. The reasons for my choice are:

I do like have a second check point in front of me so when I do get focus on something or just forget while enjoying the dive, I will have quick data point to say "Hey look at your controller". Now that can be done with the standard dream, but I'm going with the numbed PP02.

I like the ideas of have my compass in front of me with the deco stop and PPO2 as a quick read on the dive. For me, having to look at wrist to get a quick check is bothersome.

BAZZER has made a good point of the NERD getting in my way when doing photography. Current I not shooting my Full Frame Mirrorless underwater. When I do shoot with my RX100v (dam good camera by the way) I'm using the screen to focus on my subject. This might not be the way to do pro photography, but I will cross that bridge when/If I get there. Either way it a very good point on accessibility for both eyes and mask.

Lastly, it a nice to have and I can. If it save me once by providing information that I need. Then it was a good choice. I'm the type of diver that likes to have redundancy. Plus, putting together a nice RB kit is part of the crazy fun of diving.
    Last edited by JonnyQuest; 20th December 2017 at 04:02.

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyQuest  View Original Post
    Thanks all for the valuable input. I have made my choice and I will be getting the NERD 2 with the Fischer cable for my Revo. I will most like do the common setup of the predator controller hardwire (with my unit has) and the NERD connected to 2 cells
    Good luck..
    to me that is especially in combination with photography a dangerous setup.
    taking pictures already distracts you from monitoring your PO2 on your controller as frequently as one should adding the NERD info right in front of you at the blink of an eye of those cells that are not in control will only lead to even more complacency.

There are many valid reasons to go for the NERD and if you like it and it does not get in the way of taking the pics that is a good choice..
    But instead of using it as controller to use it as a "better dream backup" seems not only a waste but dangerous for the reasons pointed out. If you want to use the screen to take pics even another reason to go for controller NERD vs "backup" NERD, because if you used it as controller you would still have the dream huds as well so you would have ALL cells right in front of you and you could simply look at the NERD and the HUD code to know all is great..

Id advice you to reconsider or take your considerartion into traiing and maybe even try the different setups if possible..
    NERD is a bit too expensive to make a "quick buy" to later regret.. And the Fisher NERD can not be used as controller..

RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    rEvo iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius  View Original Post
    Good luck..
    to me that is especially in combination with photography a dangerous setup.
    taking pictures already distracts you from monitoring your PO2 on your controller as frequently as one should adding the NERD info right in front of you at the blink of an eye of those cells that are not in control will only lead to even more complacency.

There are many valid reasons to go for the NERD and if you like it and it does not get in the way of taking the pics that is a good choice..
    But instead of using it as controller to use it as a "better dream backup" seems not only a waste but dangerous for the reasons pointed out. If you want to use the screen to take pics even another reason to go for controller NERD vs "backup" NERD, because if you used it as controller you would still have the dream huds as well so you would have ALL cells right in front of you and you could simply look at the NERD and the HUD code to know all is great..

Id advice you to reconsider or take your considerartion into traiing and maybe even try the different setups if possible..
    NERD is a bit too expensive to make a "quick buy" to later regret.. And the Fisher NERD can not be used as controller..
    As a rEvo diver this is great unit specific advice on how not to use the NERD. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBW Member sluca is an unknown quantity at this point sluca's Avatar
    APD Evolution

The Nerd 2 is a fantastic computer. Really the best in town. I do t understand what you mean with “having bad habits” if this bad habit is just to have real time info always in front of your eyes.

rEvo III rms

Quote Originally Posted by sluca  View Original Post
    The Nerd 2 is a fantastic computer. Really the best in town. I do t understand what you mean with “having bad habits” if this bad habit is just to have real time info always in front of your eyes.

bad habit:
    not to frequently check the readings/values of the oxygen cells that are actually CONTROLLING your unit.. i.e. that the system uses to automatically adjust the setpoint to in an eCCR solution..
    The revo uses 4-5 cells. of those 3 are being used by the controller in a hybrid eCCR model and 1 or 2 (depending on the total number) are providing "just backup" readings. they do not actively interact with the controller controlling your setpoint.
    if you connect and only connect a NERD to those backup cells you are likely getting much easier complacent to actually read the 3 cells from your controller (for which you would still have to look at your wrist) because you have the backup values readily available...
    Those readings from the backup cells will give you protection to qickly recognize if there is a malfunction of the solenoid or mass flow jet but not against an error of the controller due to faulty values from the controlling cells..

Makes more sense now?

if one is already spending the money on a NERD the right place in a revo system is simply to use it as controller and keep the dreams with huds and not to replace the huds only..

If someone wants to take it to the max another option would be to go 2 Nerds.. ;)
    Nothing to do wrong here ;)

RBW Member Kefrko is an unknown quantity at this point Kefrko's Avatar
    rEvo 3

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyQuest  View Original Post
    Thanks all for the valuable input. I have made my choice and I will be getting the NERD 2 with the Fischer cable for my Revo. I will most like do the common setup of the predator controller hardwire (that my unit has) and the NERD connected to 2 cells. The reasons for my choice are:

I do like have a second check point in front of me so when I do get focus on something or just forget while enjoying the dive, I will have quick data point to say "Hey look at your controller". Now that can be done with the standard dream, but I'm going with the numbed PP02.

I like the ideas of have my compass in front of me with the deco stop and PPO2 as a quick read on the dive. For me, having to look at wrist to get a quick check is bothersome.

BAZZER has made a good point of the NERD getting in my way when doing photography. Current I not shooting my Full Frame Mirrorless underwater. When I do shoot with my RX100v (dam good camera by the way) I'm using the screen to focus on my subject. This might not be the way to do pro photography, but I will cross that bridge when/If I get there. Either way it a very good point on accessibility for both eyes and mask.

Lastly, it a nice to have and I can. If it save me once by providing information that I need. Then it was a good choice. I'm the type of diver that likes to have redundancy. Plus, putting together a nice RB kit is part of the crazy fun of diving.
    Did you pull the trigger and buy it yet? Sounds like we are in a similar boat. I got a used revo3 that came with a shearwater predator controller and 1 revo dream P5. My friends that bought new units all had the nerd1 from the factory. When the Nerd2 came out I decided to make the purchase. I was hoping for the wetmate but that connection would have added a good bit more cost over the fischer so I went that route also. I picked up a fischer to 3 molex connector from Narked at 90 and a cap for the end since it didn’t come with one. The Nerd2 already comes with a cap so you don’t need to buy one for that side. I am traveling to Florida next month for some diving in the Keys and should be able to update you with my experiences with the new Nerd2. I liked my dream and never had a problem with it but for me it’s like having a flip phone from the late 90’s when you could have a nice new iPhone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3