+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: To NERD or not to NERD

RBW Member JonnyQuest is an unknown quantity at this point JonnyQuest's Avatar

To NERD or not to NERD

Hello all,
    I'm hoping the the community can help me with a question on getting a NERD2 for my REVO rebreather or just keeping the Dream5? To give some background, I'm new to rebreathers and I'm gearing up for my upcoming training. I'm planning on doing photography (after training and getting very comfortable with the Revo) and do like the idea of having my "dashboard" in front of me to get a quick glance on my stats while taking picture or even task loaded. My thought is to start out right with the equipment I'm planning on using so that you don't create bad habits as I upgrade. This might not be real reason and it might be just my own crazy idea, but that why I'm asking the questions.

What are the pro's and con's to having a NERD at the very beginning of your training?

Do the NERD really help or is the Dream 5 would be efficient enough?

Is this something that i should wait on to see if there is a real need and not just a cool factor? But you have to admit they are really cool!

Thanks in for your comments in advance.
    Last edited by JonnyQuest; 18th December 2017 at 00:05.

RBW Member ECho is on a distinguished road ECho is on a distinguished road ECho's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

Meg

Re: To NERD or not to NERD

Personally, I very much like having then NERD. Admittedly, my rEvo came with it, so I don't have experience with the Dream... but, I cannot recall ever hearing anyone extol the virtues of a Dream...
    Regarding the NERD, it is very nice to have the same information available to me, at a glance, that is there on the controller. Also, if there is ant discrepancy between the controller and the monitor, it is very readily apparent. And, it's nice to have a backup deco computer, without having something else on my other wrist....

HTH

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

I don't have a NERD, everyone that I know who has one really likes it. That being said, you can monitor set point very precisely with the Dream. In a sense it cuts all extraneous information out, just reporting PO2 in a non numerical way: Solid green is spot on, a quick flash above or below the still solid green LED and you should start thinking of doing something to correct it. It's very easy to monitor between 1.4 to 1.2 PO2.

My rEvo is fully manual. Most of a dive consists of seeing the solid green indicator, and then a momentary yellow flash below the green as the PO2 slowly drops. I push the O2 add and it is solid green for a while more. Every few minutes I glance at the Shearwater on my wrist and confirm that the three cells are reporting the same thing as the Dream. Very simple, and a good cognitive shift between a non-numerical and numerical way of displaying the same data. I'm mentally anticipating what I am going to see on the Shearwater. If it is not the same it calls attention to the situation.
    Last edited by 4ster; 18th December 2017 at 02:36.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

I love the nerd, I have the nerd controller (3 cells) , 1 dream (1cel)and a petrel with Fischer as back up ( 1cel)

The only problem I see for you if you are still in training is that if you would only have the nerd and 1 dream it would be harder for your instructor or buddy to have a look at your set point , but off course he can also ask you.

For further photography reasons I think you won’t regret it

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

First of all there seems to be a bit of a misconception in regards to system configuration..
    The NERD normally is not an alternative to a or more dreams, but to the main controller (Predator, Petrel, depending on age of unit).
    There might have been and maybe are some units out operating only with dreams, but then you would likely still want to keep the dreams and just add the Nerd..
    Would be a major change to the system though and likely need additional hardware..

So assuming you would have a unit with a predator or Petrel wrist unit.. This is the one you would want to switch to a Nerd. If you do not have a canbus unit already then this switch again is major hardware change, so apart from wanting to do something it should also be assessed from an economical point of view in my opinion.
    So if you switch your wrist-controller to a Nerd you would still want to keep your 1-2 dreams.

The last option would be on a unit with a wristcontroller to swap out the dream(s) that had been reading one or two cells to a NERD. This would be the setup that makes the least sense as you are only getting backup cell data and not the cells your unit is controlling PO2 on..

Having that said:
    to NERD or not to NERD?
    Most folks like it. I tried it for several dives and decided not to switch to NERD. To me that data in my face was too distracting. I spend more time analyzing the data on the NERD than enjoying my dives.

RBW Member Semaj is an unknown quantity at this point Semaj's Avatar
    rEvo III RMS

I am also considering a Nerd 2 to replace my Dream P.

Are any rEvo divers using the Nerd2 (non CANBus version) solely as a replacement for the dream? Monitoring the two cells that would be on the dream. This would also be the backup dive computer and allow me remove the standalone back up computer from my arm.

Can you get the Nerd 2 that is not a CANBus controller with wet matable connections? I don't want to stuff around with fischer connectors.

I have the predator controller and am happy keep that as the primary controller.

The added bonus I see is that I can keep a better eye on the MV of the other two cells, these are the oldest cells in my cell tray with the three newer cells on my predator controller. I find with the Dream checking MV is a pain, need to calibrate to check O2 MV or calibrate in SCR mode to check MV in air. It would be handy if the Dream showed MV when turning on.

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj  View Original Post
    I am also considering a Nerd 2 to replace my Dream P.

Are any rEvo divers using the Nerd2 (non CANBus version) solely as a replacement for the dream? Monitoring the two cells that would be on the dream. This would also be the backup dive computer and allow me remove the standalone back up computer from my arm.

Can you get the Nerd 2 that is not a CANBus controller with wet matable connections? I don't want to stuff around with fischer connectors.

I have the predator controller and am happy keep that as the primary controller.

The added bonus I see is that I can keep a better eye on the MV of the other two cells, these are the oldest cells in my cell tray with the three newer cells on my predator controller. I find with the Dream checking MV is a pain, need to calibrate to check O2 MV or calibrate in SCR mode to check MV in air. It would be handy if the Dream showed MV when turning on.

As you can tell from my previous post, I already stated that this in my opinion is the option that makes the least sense. If you are already going for the advantage to have cell data readily readable in front of you eye, in my opinion you get the most out of it if it is actually the cells that your controller runs on.
    The argument that the other ones are your oldest and therefore potentially weakest is flawed. Any cell can fail at any time.. If a cell fails on my controlling unit. THAT is the one I want to get aware of ASAP as from then on it can get dangerous..
    The "dream" cells are sole backup and a verification from time to time that these are in range as well is purely enough.. So somewhat a "waste" of a NERD.

Then you say you want it to read 2 cells. AFAIK this is not possible.
    The Shearwaters either read one cell or three cells, not two cells..
    So to achieve what you want you either only replace one dream (even more waste of a NERD) or you have to split one of the controllers cell, with all the potential issues of splitting cell readings..

Not canbus and wet matable connections? I don't think this is available reatail but it surely could be custommade.. Easier is probably a full hardwired solution. Why would you want a NERD non hardwired anyways?

Also I a not really following the Dream MV issue. It will only calibrate if in range anyways..
    as long as you do not have a deviation in PO2 shown in air and O2 there is no deviation in mV either..

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Reading 2 cells is no longer a problem with Shearwater I believe after their latest software update

RBW Member DaleHawerchuck is an unknown quantity at this point DaleHawerchuck's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Quote Originally Posted by EngelenD  View Original Post
    Reading 2 cells is no longer a problem with Shearwater I believe after their latest software update

Can anybody confirm that?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Edit: It is saying so in the NERD 2 user manual.
    Last edited by DaleHawerchuck; 18th December 2017 at 11:42.

rEvo III rms

Quote Originally Posted by EngelenD  View Original Post
    Interesting to know..
    Which units does that apply for? only Petrel2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast