+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poseidon se7en popularity

NEW ECCR DIVER Craig Haymaker is an unknown quantity at this point Craig Haymaker's Avatar
    TEC SE7EN

none

Poseidon se7en popularity

Question please: Of all the different rebreathers talked about here on RW, it seems like to me the SE7EN is the "least talked about" ? Is my perception correct, and why would this be ? I'd love to hear the good and bad to this story ! Thanks, Craig H.

RBW Member markdol2 is an unknown quantity at this point markdol2's Avatar
    hammerhead extreeme

Re: Poseidon se7en popularity

This is not a real winner in the US market for many reasons, Problems with poor perfomance of batteries, issues with factory support and domestic repairs and promises of products yet to come still unfufilled to name a few.
    Last edited by markdol2; 10th December 2017 at 00:54.

J missionmtb is an unknown quantity at this point missionmtb's Avatar
    Se7en

mkVI

Quote Originally Posted by markdol2  View Original Post
    This is not a real winner in the US market for many reasons, Problems with poor perfomance of batteries, issues with factory support and domestic repairs and promises of products yet to come still unfufilled to name a few.
    As a Se7en owner I've had a bloated battery and trouble with service. However, the battery was taken care of under warranty and my experience with service of late has been much improved.

A lot of the stigma about the Se7en comes from its predecessor, the mkVI which was quite a bit more fragile and required most service to be done directly by Poseidon instead of your LDS. Also, there was a lot of anger early on when the Se7en was announced because mkVI divers felt like they were beta testers and weren't initially offered an affordable upgrade to the Se7en. This is all over this forum.

I upgraded well after the Se7en launched and Poseidon was very reasonable about it, no doubt owing in part to how vocal early adopters were.

Some will say the Se7en's automation breeds complacency, I blame this more on the diver. Some will say the cell validation method (vs. 3 cell voting) can't be trusted, but it's been very consistent in my experience and the 3rd cell resolves all of my concerns. Still others will say it's made of chintzy plastic and isn't "expedition grade." In reality the scrubber body is coated aluminum and pretty tough. There are some injection molded components that are prone to damage (t-pieces, c-lung inserts, scrubber lid). If you know about these fragile points, it's a non-issue. Some parts can be upgraded with more robust third party components (Tecme!).

Since my last service my unit's been trouble free, but I can count on one hand the number of other Se7ens I've seen...

I love my unit and am a little proud of the pain I went through to get to where I'm at. Hope that helps.

V/R,
    J
    Last edited by missionmtb; 10th December 2017 at 05:39.

RBW Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by missionmtb  View Original Post
    As a Se7en owner I've had a bloated battery and trouble with service. However, the battery was taken care of under warranty and my experience with service of late has been much improved.

A lot of the stigma about the Se7en comes from its predecessor, the mkVI which was quite a bit more fragile and required most service to be done directly by Poseidon instead of your LDS. Also, there was a lot of anger early on when the Se7en was announced because mkVI divers felt like they were beta testers and weren't initially offered an affordable upgrade to the Se7en. This is all over this forum.

I upgraded well after the Se7en launched and Poseidon was very reasonable about it, no doubt owing in part to how vocal early adopters were.

Some will say the Se7en's automation breeds complacency, I blame this more on the diver. Some will say the cell validation method (vs. 3 cell voting) can't be trusted, but it's been very consistent in my experience and the 3rd cell resolves all of my concerns. Still others will say it's made of chintzy plastic and isn't "expedition grade." In reality the scrubber body is coated aluminum and pretty tough. There are some injection molded components that are prone to damage (t-pieces, c-lung inserts, scrubber lid). If you know about these fragile points, it's a non-issue. Some parts can be upgraded with more robust third party components (Tecme!).

Since my last service my unit's been trouble free, but I can count on one hand the number of other Se7ens I've seen...

I love my unit and am a little proud of the pain I went through to get to where I'm at. Hope that helps.

V/R,
    J
    Good post. Even with you being a proud owner/user it comes off as an honest and unbiased review. I wish all the "my rebreather is better than your rebreather" divers would be the same.

NEW ECCR DIVER Craig Haymaker is an unknown quantity at this point Craig Haymaker's Avatar
    TEC SE7EN

none

Thanks to all for answering my question. As a newly certified IANTD CCR Diver, I currently have a TEC SE7EN on order. One of my main reasons for choosing the SE7EN (besides being the one that I trained on, MK6), was the upgrade to the SS02 in 2018, hopefully ! I plan to be more official in the introduction thread, once C-card and RB are in hand. Thanks, Craig H.

J missionmtb is an unknown quantity at this point missionmtb's Avatar
    Se7en

mkVI

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Haymaker  View Original Post
    Thanks to all for answering my question. As a newly certified IANTD CCR Diver, I currently have a TEC SE7EN on order. One of my main reasons for choosing the SE7EN (besides being the one that I trained on, MK6), was the upgrade to the SS02 in 2018, hopefully ! I plan to be more official in the introduction thread, once C-card and RB are in hand. Thanks, Craig H.
    Congrats on the new unit!

Looking forward to Poseidon releasing a head with full SSO2. This combined with cell val., resource monitoring, M28 primary and DIVA would make the unit really stand out!

I can sense the 3rd generation of rebreathers coming...

-J

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Not real sure what issues there are with these as I don't own nor have used one. I can say out of all the RBs I see posted for sale on the "secondary" market, this model and the Disco are posted often. Can't say whether it's due to people getting in on the RB hype and then finding it is more complicated and expensive than they thought or not. There is a LDS in Sandy Eggo who hyped these units up at every chance they got to any diver who wanted to pay for one, the owner is well know for this type of sales tactic. I know many of those who went through that LDS' program ended up selling their units and went back to OC.

+ Reply to Thread