+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need advice on rebreather for a very unique use

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: Need advice on rebreather for a very unique use

Draeger Dolphin compact, well built cheap units available and easy to use in O2 mode.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member Franck13 is an unknown quantity at this point Franck13's Avatar
    Vision Inspiration all options

kiss poseidon lar ....

Hi

oh yes i agree a good rebreather the dolphin as the kiss,lar 5......very easy to manipulate and use.

franck

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Draeger Dolphin compact, well built cheap units available and easy to use in O2 mode.

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Quote Originally Posted by haaginheimer  View Original Post
    You could basically use a KISS sidewinder slightly modified and that would be easy for packaging purposes.
    well one might also use canons to shoot birds..

given the depth and the intended length an O2 CCR is the way to go.. no electronics no nothing just counterlung(s) scrubber and oxygen..
    fairly simple to use and fairly simple training..

given the insurance angle, likely fully tested and existing units are the way to go with no mods..
    here really the LAR V comes to mind. It is a military unit but it should not be restricted anymore and maybe a contact to military can be made for 'formal training' to ease on the insurance and workers law side..

if there is more leeway project bably the most compact and easiest 'unit' is the so called 'Panzerretter' that was ised by the military of eastern Germany for evac purposes of submergeds and stuck tanks as well as for submarine evac..
    Those were disposable though and meant for single use.. depending on the budget of the aquarium or show this might be an optin unaltered..
    There is a guy 'oxydiver' on the web who is tinkering a lot with various O2 CCRs.. he mught be able to help you with custom options.
    he for a while rebuilt those Panzerretter units to sophistcated reusable unjts and sold them via ebay.. i think he stopped that either because supply of units seized or because of legal implications..
    but again if you contact him he might be able to build one of these.. it is extremely flat and compact check the website a d you can see pics ( google is your friend)

BioPak60 Deathbox! rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds's Avatar
    BP-60, Revo Mod1

My recommendation is call Mike Young over at KISS. He makes a bunch of different rebreathers, and something like you are looking for exists already sitting around his shop. You will get the benefit of having a known manufacturer with years of production in the field instead of some weird/stunningly expensive home built solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Quote Originally Posted by rchrds  View Original Post
    ...instead of some weird/stunningly expensive home built solution
    not sure which home builds you are referring to, but the RG-UF/M Oxy CCR builts with refillable scrubber and close-able mouthpiece (essentially mimicking a real DSV) were sold at about 300 EUR .. if that is stunningly expensive to you, I don't know. To me that seems super cheap for the intended purpose..

it was essentially like this without the gauge which for 15 min immersions is not really needed

https://www.medi-leipzig.de/html/rg-standard_plus.html

And in fact it seems I was mistaken and it was not oxydiver, but this website that sold them..
    and it looks they still sell them..
    All pages in German, but google translate can certainly make sense of it..

According to this:
    https://www.medi-leipzig.de/html/rg-uf1.html
    a unit for the purpose described by BrianHut would be:
    149,- EUR for the "out of the box" RG-UF/M ("Panzerretter")
    69,- EUR for the refillable scrubber
    and 79,- EUR for the modified mouthpiece
    --> 297,- EUR total!!

No I certainly would not risk that kind of money for the endeavor described

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

But remember the user. This isn't something that he is going to be using himself. This is something that is going to be used by performers. It is not recreational, it is a commercial application. This is no place for a home built unit.

There will be a fair bit of infrastructure behind the scenes as well. Pumping oxygen for refills. Training, lots of training. The performers, and anyone who works around the performers. Add in staff turnover and the training will always be a present factor. Way more safety protocols over open circuit diving.

rEvo III rms

I never said anything different. The whole work environment angle can introduce hurdles.
    But if these are a larger issue, I also doubt that a "custom built" by a renowed manufacturer will solve these, especially also from the training angle... hence that statement earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius  View Original Post
    given the insurance angle, likely fully tested and existing units are the way to go with no mods..
    here really the LAR V comes to mind. It is a military unit but it should not be restricted anymore and maybe a contact to military can be made for 'formal training' to ease on the insurance and workers law side.

RBW Member BrianHut is an unknown quantity at this point BrianHut's Avatar
    None

Thank you everyone for all the advice. Many have contacted me via private email and of course posted on this thread. I have more advice than I even know what to do with now and am trying to sort it all out with the company producing the costume. I really appreciate all the help the community has offered.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2