+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on rebreather for a very unique use

RBW Member BrianHut is an unknown quantity at this point BrianHut's Avatar
    None

Need advice on rebreather for a very unique use

Hello everyone!
    My name is Brian. I am a director and show producer for live shows, mostly theatre, circus and theme park venues.
    I was tasked with coming up with some new ideas for a new aquarium being built. One of my ideas is this...
    Iíve seen lots of mermaid girls that will swim underwater in their fish tail costumes, wave at the audience through the aquarium glass and then quickly go back up for air. This is used in just about every aquarium Iíve ever been in and I think, pretty lame. Also the costumes vary from tacky to just ok.
    I am working with a professional creature studio to produce a highly realistic looking creature costume that can be worn by a scuba diver. Think a cross between a human and an angler fish. Itís very exiting and as far as I can tell, never been done before, at least not that way I am planning.
    My question is this. I know nothing about scuba diving. The company producing the costume is going to work in the smallest tank possible, weíre hoping to get 15min. of breathing time. The idea is to surface after 10 minutes with 5 minutes to spare.
    The bubbles from the scuba setup will be kind of a dead giveaway thereís someone inside the costume and I want to go as realistic as possible. Is there a very small rebreather system that would fit this application? Is this at all a possibility? Is any of this even safe?
    The diver/performer would never go any deeper than about 30ft in the costume as there are no aquariums I know of that are deeper than this.
    Iíll leave it there for now and any thought or comments would be very appreciated. I am planning on getting my scuba certification in the next few months as I will be the one who initially test the costume. Thank you very much everyone

Brian

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: Need advice on rebreather for a very unique use

Quote Originally Posted by BrianHut  View Original Post
    Hello everyone!
    My name is Brian. I am a director and show producer for live shows, mostly theatre, circus and theme park venues.
    I was tasked with coming up with some new ideas for a new aquarium being built. One of my ideas is this...
    Iíve seen lots of mermaid girls that will swim underwater in their fish tail costumes, wave at the audience through the aquarium glass and then quickly go back up for air. This is used in just about every aquarium Iíve ever been in and I think, pretty lame. Also the costumes vary from tacky to just ok.
    I am working with a professional creature studio to produce a highly realistic looking creature costume that can be worn by a scuba diver. Think a cross between a human and an angler fish. Itís very exiting and as far as I can tell, never been done before, at least not that way I am planning.
    My question is this. I know nothing about scuba diving. The company producing the costume is going to work in the smallest tank possible, weíre hoping to get 15min. of breathing time. The idea is to surface after 10 minutes with 5 minutes to spare.
    The bubbles from the scuba setup will be kind of a dead giveaway thereís someone inside the costume and I want to go as realistic as possible. Is there a very small rebreather system that would fit this application? Is this at all a possibility? Is any of this even safe?
    The diver/performer would never go any deeper than about 30ft in the costume as there are no aquariums I know of that are deeper than this.
    Iíll leave it there for now and any thought or comments would be very appreciated. I am planning on getting my scuba certification in the next few months as I will be the one who initially test the costume. Thank you very much everyone

Brian
    I am certain that an oxygen rebreather exists or could be easily fabricated for your needs. As long as you stay in the 20ft depth range an O2 system would be simple and compact.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

My thoughts would be for a KISS rebreather running straight oxygen so long as they stay above 20 foot. There are enough different configurations that one of them should package pretty good.

There will always be a little bit of bubble at times, always on ascent.

For the most part component location of the breathing loop is fixed be physics. It has to be kept around the chest/back area. The actual compressed gas tanks have a lot more flexible to where they can be placed.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

You may want to try and contact someone at the "O Show" in Vegas, they asked the same question when designing it and use a mix of OC and CC in their shows.

https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/o

None

Thank you for all the advice everyone. Would love to speak with someone in "O" or in Le Reve, or House of Dancing Water but those kind of contacts are hard to come by. Creating a custom rebreather for my specific need was mentioned. Is there a particular company that offers this service? Producing rebreathers to one's specifications I mean?

Brian

RBW Member JohnnyC is an unknown quantity at this point JohnnyC's Avatar

Those contacts are easier to come by than you'd think. Might I suggest a Linkedin search with the phrase "head of aquatics."

Technically it's not very challenging. You can pretty well slap together an O2 rebreather with off-the-shelf components for a fairly reasonable expenditure.

That being said, I'd imagine you'd have a hard time finding an insurance company that would approve artists for CCR use, let alone a homebuilt one. Even if they held their own private CCR certifications. Even the personnel of the aquatics departments are technically not allowed to dive outside of the limits of recreational scuba diving, according to their insurance riders.

You can consider this a subject matter expert post. Hint hint.....

None

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC  View Original Post
    Those contacts are easier to come by than you'd think. Might I suggest a Linkedin search with the phrase "head of aquatics."

Technically it's not very challenging. You can pretty well slap together an O2 rebreather with off-the-shelf components for a fairly reasonable expenditure.

That being said, I'd imagine you'd have a hard time finding an insurance company that would approve artists for CCR use, let alone a homebuilt one. Even if they held their own private CCR certifications. Even the personnel of the aquatics departments are technically not allowed to dive outside of the limits of recreational scuba diving, according to their insurance riders.

You can consider this a subject matter expert post. Hint hint.....
    Thanks Johnny. I'll do a search on LinkedIn for just that.

Yes, I am still considering the insurance issue. Eventually I hope to take this idea international and definitely want to have all my bases covered. I absolutely want everything to be completely safe, that is priority number one, no exceptions.

RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    rEvo iii

Need advice on rebreather for a very unique use

If this is for use with employees you might want to consider relevant statutory requirements regarding employee safety in the jurisdiction your operating in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBW Member Franck13 is an unknown quantity at this point Franck13's Avatar

Bonjour Brian

i believe that all rebreathers are good and easy to use and manipulate for do good and true dives.

It's true it's very expensive again but with the occasion market it is possible de se faire plaisir.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by BrianHut  View Original Post
    Hello everyone!

Brian

RBW Member haaginheimer is an unknown quantity at this point haaginheimer's Avatar
    KISS GEM (modified)

Dolphin, Prism 2, Poseidon

You could basically use a KISS sidewinder slightly modified and that would be easy for packaging purposes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast