+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a meg copis or mccr revo

RBW Member fletcher is on a distinguished road fletcher is on a distinguished road fletcher's Avatar

Looking for a meg copis or mccr revo

Hello guys,

Pure newbie here, i would like to begin with one of these two machines.
    If you have one in your garage looking for a new life underwater, please send me a message.

If it's a revo, i would prefer a mccr with only two revodream and a hud, the fewer add-ons the better.

Thanks,

Fletcher

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Re: Looking for a meg copis or mccr revo

since you are a total newbie, why a manual unit?

RBW Member fletcher is on a distinguished road fletcher is on a distinguished road fletcher's Avatar

Talking Re: Looking for a meg copis or mccr revo

Well, it seems more logical to me to keep control of the o2 injection.

When i'll have some hours (hundreds of hours), i'll see for an eccr (or not 😀)

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

You can always run an eccr as a manual, just set low set point, and fly manually.

You cant do the inverse with an MCCR.

The only thing you dont have with eccr is the leaky valve. the leaky valve is simulated with a low setpoint. So you are still reliant on the solenoid and electronics.

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher  View Original Post
    Well, it seems more logical to me to keep control of the o2 injection.

When i'll have some hours (hundreds of hours), i'll see for an eccr (or not 😀)
    My Meg started as a copis and I put about 150 hrs on it before I turned it into an eccr.

For me this was a good path. The change of PO2 as you go down or up is not at all intuitive. I learned to watch my PPO2 and what happened when I gave it a squirt.

I am happy that I switched as I can be task loaded and appreciate all the help I can get.

I think this is a reasonable route to go.

FWIW I would not touch a hybrid.

Good luck getting a rig. CCR is a great way to dive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    You can always run an eccr as a manual, just set low set point, and fly manually.

You cant do the inverse with an MCCR.

The only thing you dont have with eccr is the leaky valve. the leaky valve is simulated with a low setpoint. So you are still reliant on the solenoid and electronics.
    That's why i'll choose the simplest machine out of the two. That'll make me more responsible during the dive. I also guess that a mccr with less electronic than a eccr should be more reliable ? Am I wrong ?

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

That's why i'll choose the simplest machine out of the two. That'll make me more responsible during the dive. I also guess that a mccr with less electronic than a eccr should be more reliable ? Am I wrong ?
    I agree with your logic. Start with a manual CCR if you ever feel the need to go auto then upgrade, but many never reach that point and feel comfortable in manual mode. You can always run your eCCR in manual when the urge strikes. I do all the time.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Meg

KISS

on a meg, the only real difference is a solenoid and the software to drive it(and no leaky valve).

Thats why I said you can fly an eccr manual, and explained the difference.

If you find yourself diving enough, my money says you'll want to upgrade to eccr once you get out of this mistaken viewpoint of the additional reliability and safety of mccr. And then you'll take a hit on selling an mccr that may have a small market of interest, and upgrade.

But hey, if you wanna spend a 3-4 hour dive pushing a manual add, party on. I'd rather take a quick look at my petrel and keep on diving.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    mistaken viewpoint of the additional reliability and safety of mccr....
    Nothing mistaken about it. There is statistical evidence that MCCR are safer. Not because of anything more dangerous within an eCCR except the operator. People who are adapted due to the construction of the rebreather to pay more attention to the operation of it and to the actual workings of the physics behind it tend to be more likely to be aware of problems. Compared to one who may or may not assemble their unit correctly and trust it will work OK manual rebreather divers seem to be more fundamentally in tune with what's going on it their unit.
    Taking out the solenoid and a host of electronics may fail and replacing it with cognitive thinking spells reliability. Lastly the voting logic algorithm found in most eCCRs is far inferior to cognitive reasoning when it comes to deciding what is working and what isn't. MCCR strategy forces the diver to be more aware.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Meg

KISS

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Lastly the voting logic algorithm found in most eCCRs is far inferior to cognitive reasoning when it comes to deciding what is working and what isn't. MCCR strategy forces the diver to be more aware.
    huh?

Isnt the voting logic exactly the same for eccr or mccr? I still dont buy the failure evaluation is much different, as the only difference is a solenoid adding o2 for you. So some software driving that, the O2 solenoid itself, and the O2 supply line to the solenoid.(ok, and I guess battery power source as well). But either case, any of that fails, you fly manual.

But I do agree that if you run mccr, you gotta be on top of your unit at all times.
    Last edited by Jeff Pack; 21st November 2017 at 18:46.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast