+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 4 tank config

aka Scotty com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1's Avatar
    inspiration vision

Re: 4 tank config

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post

left side 3L is suit gas, right side 3L is O2.
    Intermediate deco gases and BO O2 in al80 or al40 stages so they are up front and easy to verify.

As someone who's had a couple back surgeries myself. And has also seen people slip and fall in doubles leading to an incredibly serious compound fracture, the thought of all that weight on anyone's back scares me.
    Actually I do have 5 tanks on board, #5 is a 2l 300 bar suit gas tank mounted in the stand.
    When it sits on my back itīs easy to walk.
    Many of my friends to use the "Eckla Beach-Rolly" to move their gear from car to the dive entry" - I find it easier on my back.
    After 16 years of diving luckily I have no back issues at all, if it starts I go free diving only.

RBW Member turtle dude is an unknown quantity at this point turtle dude's Avatar
    Inspo classic hacked about

Quote Originally Posted by com1  View Original Post
    Hi,

looking for a new unit to replace my AP Inspiration Vision unit (not urgent in the next 1-2 years).
    Since rEvo is available in the 2 Shearwater version I have an eye on it.
    One question: is it possible to mount two 7 liter tanks and two 3-4 liter tanks at the same time, any pics of such a config?
    (Please no discussion if this config makes sense or not, I just prefer to have 2 of my 5 bailout tanks on my back.)

Regards,
    Thomas (Scotty)
    Hi I've seen plenty of inspo's set up like this and with 5 cells fitted, hey presto saved you loads of money as you already have the unit.

I dived mine with 2x5l + 2x3l back mounted with a side slung ali7 for years on 50\60m dives then just added an extra ali7 or swopped out for ali11's if doing longer or deeper.
    Regards
    Baz

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

OK, you started

Majority of my dives is between 50-90 meters with a total dive time ~200 minutes +-X.
    Wreck, lake, no cave. I prefer to have all BO gases with me.

left side on-board: 7l+3l diluent e.g. 10/60, both connected to BOV (Y-Adapter)
    right side on-board: 7l+3l O2

Dependent on the dive I take 2-3 more stages 7l to 80cft.(18/35, EAN32, EAN50)
    Well I suspected it was some more "odd" Bailout configuration.
    With what you describe it seems you are very "agressive" (not too say underestimating) with the Bottom Bailouts. At the same time you are veeery "conservative" (seems a bit too much on safe side) with the # of travel+deco gases (18/35 + EAN 32 + EAN 50 + 100% ?)
    Apart from the fact that the 32 does not really fit in well from IBC perspective, what does all that deco gas help you if you don't even make it to deco because you ran out of air on depth? ok you get to the 18/35 quite fast in that depth range (if not right away) but it still seems you emphasis the deco period quite much over deep BO.. 7 Ls IMHO are useless for BO at depth.. I learned the hard way when I had a breakthrough and only carried a 40cft.. it was 30m only so I still managed but the SACs are just skyrocketing so at 90 m even a 80 cft runs out faaast..
    Good news, once you migrate to a revo the chance of breakthroughs is practically eliminated due to the dual scrubber design, but I still continue to be rather conservative at depth..
    7 Ls for BO to me only make sense for Oxy and no other gas, because at other gases it is just so little gas.. the only other usage of 7 L as BO is NDL diving in rec depths..But then it is one and again no real advantage to mount it to the case and rather sidemount it to body..

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    90m is iffy density wise with only 60% helium.
    Who told you that?? you cant quite be serious!
    in what sense iffy?
    For Bailout? Well if you Bail at 90 you should ascend immediately anyways and if you have regs that really suffer from density issues at such depths, please reconsider equipment.

From lung-functionality at 90 on BO ?
    well that certainly is tolerable give the event - keep in mind this is not regular OC diving spending a lot of time at depth on OC with that gas!

In Loop ? Surely there is no density issue whatsoever with that mix..

60% He is certainly very good with no issues for up to 100m and even a bit beyond depending on your narcosis approach.. A 10/60 you gets you a Narcosis depth of 31m @ 100m after all..

Don't judge and comment gas choices above your own level of diving based on hearsay..
    Looking at your profile the latter is the only conclusion you might have come to such opinion..

rEvo III rms

left side on-board: 7l+3l diluent e.g. 10/60, both connected to BOV (Y-Adapter)
    right side on-board: 7l+3l O2

Dependent on the dive I take 2-3 more stages 7l to 80cft.(18/35, EAN32, EAN50)
    Thinking about it a bit more given the depth range maybe you ment that one additional stage (18/35) as being Bottom Bailout as well and when really diving 90m you are adjusting that a bit on Oxy side..

Then I would see the 7l as rather too big.. the 10L on the Bov will still only be usable to make the save switch to the main Bailout then.. For such purposes again the 7 L is also ok and you could get rid of the 3 L and place the 7 instead of the three..
    7 Oxy when you still also carry 32 and 50 seems quite a lot as well, so you could go smaller here when you want to have the oxy backmounted.. 2 tanks sure make sense here in case of issues on the breather side with oxy and once you already carry it one might as well make it available OC was always my thinking..
    But for sure Oxy is enough in generaly a "small" tank.. so given that you already carry 2-3 80 Alis I really don't see much diffenrence to additionally sling a 40 cft for example..

When you already come to the revo side you open your pockets already, so why not rethinking the whole approach once you get to know the unit.. in the end you will surely like the streamlined design..
    I think you can achieve most of what you aiming at as well e.g. using 40 cfts or 7 L on the unit and get rid of the 3 Ls at all and then just take another 40 cft for your oxy in front..

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Leaving mixes and motives aside, the thing that jumps out at me from the picture is the inverted tanks.

I wonder if the diver can reach those valves?

My rig is configured quite conventionally with the addition of two tiny tanks bungied to the backplate. These are for suit inflation and redundant O2 and only used for bigger dives.

All my valves are within easy reach. Perhaps the tanks stacked on top are accessible by the diver in the pic as he is in a wet suit. For me as a cold water diver with the associated reduced mobility, reaching those valves seems unlikely.

aka Scotty com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1's Avatar
    inspiration vision

Quote Originally Posted by turtle dude  View Original Post
    Hi I've seen plenty of inspo's set up like this and with 5 cells fitted, hey presto saved you loads of money as you already have the unit.

I dived mine with 2x5l + 2x3l back mounted with a side slung ali7 for years on 50\60m dives then just added an extra ali7 or swopped out for ali11's if doing longer or deeper.
    Regards
    Baz
    5 cells fitted? I know 4 cells only? Where can I get this?

inspiration vision

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVICEG  View Original Post
    Leaving mixes and motives aside, the thing that jumps out at me from the picture is the inverted tanks.

I wonder if the diver can reach those valves?

My rig is configured quite conventionally with the addition of two tiny tanks bungied to the backplate. These are for suit inflation and redundant O2 and only used for bigger dives.

All my valves are within easy reach. Perhaps the tanks stacked on top are accessible by the diver in the pic as he is in a wet suit. For me as a cold water diver with the associated reduced mobility, reaching those valves seems unlikely.
    On my inspi (with Alixbox) I can.

inspiration vision

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius  View Original Post
    Thinking about it a bit more given the depth range maybe you ment that one additional stage (18/35) as being Bottom Bailout as well and when really diving 90m you are adjusting that a bit on Oxy side..

Then I would see the 7l as rather too big.. the 10L on the Bov will still only be usable to make the save switch to the main Bailout then.. For such purposes again the 7 L is also ok and you could get rid of the 3 L and place the 7 instead of the three..
    7 Oxy when you still also carry 32 and 50 seems quite a lot as well, so you could go smaller here when you want to have the oxy backmounted.. 2 tanks sure make sense here in case of issues on the breather side with oxy and once you already carry it one might as well make it available OC was always my thinking..
    But for sure Oxy is enough in generaly a "small" tank.. so given that you already carry 2-3 80 Alis I really don't see much diffenrence to additionally sling a 40 cft for example..

When you already come to the revo side you open your pockets already, so why not rethinking the whole approach once you get to know the unit.. in the end you will surely like the streamlined design..
    I think you can achieve most of what you aiming at as well e.g. using 40 cfts or 7 L on the unit and get rid of the 3 Ls at all and then just take another 40 cft for your oxy in front..
    A 90m dive, 30 mins bottom time (includes 4 minutes decent time)
    This is the calculated gas I need, including 2 minutes OC extra time at bottom (32minutes btm time).
    I do calculate with 27 liters per minute until I reach 36m for the EAN32 switch.
    From here I plan with 19 liters per minute, still conservative.

1289.7 ltr Trimix 12/60 (7l+3l)
    925.0 ltr Trimix 20/35 (7l)
    955.6 ltr Nitrox 32 (7l)
    1894.9 ltr Nitrox 50 (11.1l)
    1500.7 ltr Nitrox 99 (7l+3l)

Donīt see much options how to carry less tanks.

rEvo III rms

A 90m dive, 30 mins bottom time (includes 4 minutes decent time)
    This is the calculated gas I need, including 2 minutes OC extra time at bottom (32minutes btm time).
    I do calculate with 27 liters per minute until I reach 36m for the EAN32 switch.
    From here I plan with 19 liters per minute, still conservative.

1289.7 ltr Trimix 12/60 (7l+3l)
    925.0 ltr Trimix 20/35 (7l)
    955.6 ltr Nitrox 32 (7l)
    1894.9 ltr Nitrox 50 (11.1l)
    1500.7 ltr Nitrox 99 (7l+3l)

Donīt see much options how to carry less tanks.
    calculating 27 l/ min until 40 m is not that bad for the average value..
    problem is that at bottom you are likely to use more than that and then the higher sac huts you really hard and your deep BO can deplete too fast.. as you see though with that average value you only need 2000 l .. so you could do with one 80 cft..
    coming from 10/60 to 32 would be quite bad though.. so you would want to use some other Tx.. once you already do that it is safer and better to be able to get to that much earlier.. so take somthing like a 15/40 oe so.. 80 cft.. that gives you quite some buffer at depth and you already have only two tanks until the 50 i stead of 3 ( not even counting the 3 L)
    the rest is fine.. just 19 l on deco (especially the oxy stop) is high as well, that is why i think you can get away with a smaller tank there..

But anyways do as you wish.. i just dont see much advantage of that additional gas over using larger and lesser stages to start with and dont underestimate deep gas needs.. when you are bailing out you are already stressed enough.. the last what you need is ending up with an empty tank not reached gas switch depth yet and still hen having to make a seitch under duress and potentally then sucking the wrong gas as you needed to get too it quickly..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast