+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The taste of rebreather air

NEW ECCR DIVER Craig Haymaker is an unknown quantity at this point Craig Haymaker's Avatar
    TEC SE7EN

none

The taste of rebreather air

I know that the air inhaled from a RB is warmer and moister than from OC. But what about this inhaled / scrubbed air's taste ? Here's the reason for this question :
    Just did my first training dive on a Poseidon MK6, and I tasted what I would describe as a "slight acid" taste the entire dive ? At the end of this dive, my lips were kind of burning too, really odd ? Going back to the setup before the dive, all O-rings (red ones too) were checked, lubed, accounted for and installed. A new pre-packed scrubber canister was opened and installed with its top & bottom lids and the system check went without a
    flaw ! Post dive, there was NO water in the loop and the bottom sponge was barely damp and the canister was warm and dry. My instructor and his dive master looked puzzled and said that it must have just been rebreather taste !! Am I overly sensitive, or is there an issue ? Thanks, Craig H.

RBW Member jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Re: The taste of rebreather air

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Haymaker  View Original Post
    I know that the air inhaled from a RB is warmer and moister than from OC. But what about this inhaled / scrubbed air's taste ? Here's the reason for this question :
    Just did my first training dive on a Poseidon MK6, and I tasted what I would describe as a "slight acid" taste the entire dive ? At the end of this dive, my lips were kind of burning too, really odd ? Going back to the setup before the dive, all O-rings (red ones too) were checked, lubed, accounted for and installed. A new pre-packed scrubber canister was opened and installed with its top & bottom lids and the system check went without a
    flaw ! Post dive, there was NO water in the loop and the bottom sponge was barely damp and the canister was warm and dry. My instructor and his dive master looked puzzled and said that it must have just been rebreather taste !! Am I overly sensitive, or is there an issue ? Thanks, Craig H.
    Couldn't answer with any certainty for your situation but for what it's worth, I have never experienced any "taste" like that or symptoms like that. The only thing I can think of that could taste vaguely "acid" might be the disinfectant. Maybe something in the the loop had not been flushed clean properly?

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Might be loop disinfectant. Particularly interesting is your lips burning. Your lips aren't in contact with the loop air, so perhaps it's something the mouthpiece was coated in. Can you try dive another shop's rebreather. Good loop air doesn't have a taste on 8 rebreathers I've dove so far.

Regards,
    Cameron

RBW Member manni-yunk is an unknown quantity at this point manni-yunk's Avatar

The only "taste" that I ever notice is if I replace my loop hose (rubber not cooper)....for the first few dives, the loop residue tastes like crap. Once that is gone, I notice no "taste".

NEW ECCR DIVER Craig Haymaker is an unknown quantity at this point Craig Haymaker's Avatar
    TEC SE7EN

none

Thanks so very much guys, for not beating me up too much on this, LOL. I will tear the loop down again and re-rinse. I promise that I will repost after tng. dive #2. Craig H.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Did you use virkon as a disinfectant or steramine?
    Virkon is definitely a skin irritant and could burn you. Make sure you dilute it properly and rinse twice.

Steramine, once the tablets dissolve in water, doesn't seem to be much of a skin irritate to me.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

We use a solution of 10% betadine to disinfect. It does have a slight after taste but nothing that bothers me or the guys I dive with. If you dove a rental unit do you know what the person before you used to disinfect the unit?

TEC SE7EN

none

A diluted Steramine tablet is the disinfectant. Sprayed into all parts then dunked into a wash tank. I re-washed the RB loop parts today in" fresh water" and reassembled. We will see tomorrow hopefully (weather permitting) ! OMG I LOVE this new challenge, LOL !
    I'm not ashamed to tell the truth; on my first ever RB dive two days age, I "did not" maintain min. loop volume worth a poop, LOL ! Too many years on OC I guess. I was popping the ADV then nose venting ! But hey, I never once broke surface: rebreatherdancer: My instructor is so damned patient, I feel so grateful that I picked him ! I'm in a whole new world now, and hope to exceed the high standards and expectations put on me ! I will keep you posted, Craig H. Pasco, WA.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

If you don't completely dissolve the tablets the little sand sized grains are actually quite caustic when wet

TEC SE7EN

none

The disinfectant must have been the issue, or I should say my lack of proper rinsing is the more correct finding ! Good to go now, like breathing Florida air - warm and humid, LOL ��! Thanks again, Craig H.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast