+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hollis Prism 2 Gen 1 failed HUD led

RBW Member Mean Gene is an unknown quantity at this point Mean Gene's Avatar

Hollis Prism 2 Gen 1 failed HUD led

Some background, dived my P2 this past July, during the dive the led nearest to the cable was glowing faintly between smither code flashes.

Battery compartment was flooded, battery harness and cap replaced, everything working fine.

While diving in Malta during Oct, the led that was glowing faintly before failed after 2 weeks of diving.

Question, do you think the HUD led is shot, the conductor in the cable is broken.... or the routing board inside the head is kaput (voltage spike between the SAFT and 9 volt batteries from the July flood)

Predator handset working fine, voltages for the sensors within spec.

Shearwater can have the old hud head chopped off and an aftermarket hud mounted with the cable being shortned by an inch.

Another option, all be it expensive, is to replace the electronics with DiveCAN petrel handset ect.

My P2 does have to go to Hollis Rebreathers LLC for diagnoses.
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 29th October 2017 at 18:02.

Instructor dauntless_divers is an unknown quantity at this point dauntless_divers's Avatar
    Triton, Revo, Prism2, LAR V

Re: Hollis Prism 2 Gen 1 failed HUD led

Same thing happened to mine while diving in Thailand a few years back. It would work fine during predive/calibration but would get very dim during the dive itself.

I sent an email to Curt McNamee (Shearwater repair tech in Everett, Wa) and he ended up just replacing the HUD for a couple hundred bucks if I recall. Good guy, good service. The replacement was also a Gen 1 though.

I have inquired about changing out the electronics to the divecan/petrel system but have only been told that it would be expensive, no how much it actually is.

Cheers,
    Matt

RBW Member Mean Gene is an unknown quantity at this point Mean Gene's Avatar

Re: Hollis Prism 2 Gen 1 failed HUD led

Excellent information!!! Big thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by dauntless_divers  View Original Post
    Same thing happened
    to mine while diving in Thailand a few years back. It would work fine during predive/calibration but would get very dim during the dive itself.

I sent an email to Curt McNamee (Shearwater repair tech in Everett, Wa) and he ended up just replacing the HUD for a couple hundred bucks if I recall. Good guy, good service. The replacement was also a Gen 1 though.

I have inquired about changing out the electronics to the divecan/petrel system but have only been told that it would be expensive, no how much it actually is.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 29th October 2017 at 23:39.

+ Reply to Thread