+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rebreather line up, my choices

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Re: Rebreather line up, my choices

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    Perfectly fine reason, however I'm trying to illustrate that the costs associated with diving a RB are exponentially higher and traveling with one is a PITA.
    Obviously not a rEvo micro diver

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Quote Originally Posted by Shanehugs  View Original Post
    Megalodon
    Optima2
    Possibly JJ
    If travel is main selection driver, then be aware that none of these stand out for particular travel "friendliness" as other have already mentioned. Other rebreathers are def. more travel friendly.
    one of them you even already have ruled out so you seem to have other drivers..

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hello SH, while Iím not a fan of any of the above, it would appear you prefer over the shoulder counter lungs
    What lead you to this conclusion? The JJ has back mounted counterlungs standard, and the Optima is available with BMCL as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    One thing I have found to absolutely hate about an ECCR is diving sawtooth profiles. If you are in a tight area and you are forced to ascend, then your po2 will drop and the solenoid will fire. This injects even more volume into the already expanding counterlungs and can pin you to the ceiling.

With a MCCR or HCCR, you can just let the po2 degrade momentarily until you actually want to modify it. Many times you just waste O2 since you are going to be dropping right back to a deeper area again any way.
    I have to disagree with you here, pal. It becomes second nature to exhale from the loop before ascending to reduce volume. Not only does it avoid the expansion you mention, but when the solenoid does fire to raise pO2, it doesn't have to add as much because of the reduced volume. But the second part of your statement is true. You can let pO2 drop for a bit on a temporary ascent until the sawtooth profile takes you down again.
    Ken

Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius  View Original Post
    Obviously not a rEvo micro diver
    Man, you are a "GENIUS." Too much "Nitrogen" that's pretty apparent.

Dancin' Weenie

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    What lead you to this conclusion? The JJ has back mounted counterlungs standard, and the Optima is available with BMCL as well.

I have to disagree with you here, pal. It becomes second nature to exhale from the loop before ascending to reduce volume. Not only does it avoid the expansion you mention, but when the solenoid does fire to raise pO2, it doesn't have to add as much because of the reduced volume. But the second part of your statement is true. You can let pO2 drop for a bit on a temporary ascent until the sawtooth profile takes you down again.
    Yea I have not run into this issue either. When I am going up I am venting my suit, the CLs, and sometimes the wing. So the relatively tiny volume of O2 added is essentially not noticeable.

rEvo III rms

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    Man, you are a "GENIUS." Too much "Nitrogen" that's pretty apparent.
    The more Nitrogen the more Genius.. pretty straight forward.. ;)
    Can never be too much Genius..

Point is though if for you in the past travelling with a rebreather really was a pain in the ass as you described it, maybe you want to look at unit choice, no more no less..

Happens that a revo micro is a pretty travel friendly unit amongst others..especially when in areas with only size restrictions on carry on's but no weight restriction you can even take the unit as carry on..
    Too me that does not sound like any PITA as one can even still use checked baggage allowance for additional equipment..

So bottom line is: that travelling with a breather might become a PITA but ONLY with the WRONG unit and not in general as you made it sound..

Cheers..

P.S.: Gotta love Murica's inhabitants high capability to cope with self-irony..

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

One thing I have found to absolutely hate about an ECCR is diving sawtooth profiles. If you are in a tight area and you are forced to ascend, then your po2 will drop and the solenoid will fire. This injects even more volume into the already expanding counterlungs and can pin you to the ceiling.

With a MCCR or HCCR, you can just let the po2 degrade momentarily until you actually want to modify it. Many times you just waste O2 since you are going to be dropping right back to a deeper area again any way.

There is no rule that says you must keep a rock solid po2. A close average is perfectly fine as long as you keep track of it.
    What he said, my point exactly regarding Sawtooth profiles...

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Wink Re: Rebreather line up, my choices

A guess? I didn’t know the Optima had the BMCL option...

Nobody likes having to constantly adjust their bouancy, especially if your task loading is high. CCR bouancy is difficult enough to master without adding a Sawtooth profile. Venting a lot of gas in a cave is not good for the cave, or the visibility in a wreck. For me ECCR is best in open ocean environments where the distractions are many and the conditions are more dynamic. If I am caught in a current or chasing wildlife, I want the ECCR to do its job so I can focus on other things for a few minutes. And holding set point closely is great if you use a stand alone computer like I do, for simplicity’s sake. But if you have a cell integrated computer, as almost all CCRs do now, then who cares how steady your PO2 is? Especially if it allows you to go up and down over 3M without having to vent?

Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by NickB  View Original Post
    I've taken my JJ to Bikini - twice. It's harder to think of any dive destination harder to reach from the UK.

Fits into a Peli case and weighs 23kg.
    You can travel with anything if you are willing to pay the baggage fees. My head and displays go in carry on because I donít want my O2 cells being subjected to rough handling and temperature extremes. To me, travel friendly means being able to fit critical components like the head and displays in carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by NickB  View Original Post
    If I were buying a CCR purely for the convenience of travel, I'd probably choose a Pathfinder. The Pelagian wouldn't even register on my list.
    Would you care to explain what about the Pelagian makes it so unsuited for travel? It might possibly be the most compact and adaptable to different rigging and cylinders of any units I know...

Prism

Dolphin

Oh, and I would also add that for traveling and being able to troubleshoot/fix all components, an MCCR definitely has the advantage over a unit with a solenoid. They are less complicated and always user servicible. Not many ECCR solenoids are easily replaceable in the field, and if they fail a pre-dive diagnostic test, the computer may even lock you out from diving manually. I have seen this happen on APD units, and frankly, I would not dive any ECCR which does not allow for full manual operation. Itís a stupid design idea which can ruin an expensive vacation and hobbles the diver by limiting their independence and personal responsibility for something so fundamental as oneís own life.

Iíve had one solenoid failure on my Prism 1, in Komodo. I just turned off the electronics and flew manually while reading my PO2 off the analog needle gauge. No dives missed, dead simple redundancy solution to a hardware failure. The best CCR, whether E or M is the simplest CCR, IMHO...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3