+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rebreather line up, my choices

RBW Member JohnnyC is an unknown quantity at this point JohnnyC's Avatar

Re: Rebreather line up, my choices

Quote Originally Posted by NickB  View Original Post
    I've taken my JJ to Bikini - twice. It's harder to think of any dive destination harder to reach from the UK.

Fits into a Peli case and weighs 23kg.

If I were buying a CCR purely for the convenience of travel, I'd probably choose a Pathfinder. The Pelagian wouldn't even register on my list.
    And I've taken my tall can Meg to Mexico, and it fits in a Pelican case and weighs 23kg. I assume you read the second part of that paragraph where I pointed out that you're checking bags either way, so it doesn't matter. But kudos for misquoting me to make your choice look better for the OP.

And a Pathfinder wouldn't register on my list. What's your point? OP is asking for options, not giving him any reasons to justify your choice isn't very helpful.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    And, if I get another CCR, it will be a needle valve MCCR as I think they are better for cave diving and overhead environments due to the frequent depth changes.
    Just how is a mCCR an advantage in caves with sawtoothy profiles? What am I missing here?

RBW Member Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll's Avatar
    Waiting for my Next

Megalodon 2.7

. Then he went on to say it would never get wet, WTF?

Maybe he just want to collect them..

I adore Boris, I've never owned 1 but I would hope to someday, though I personally Would Dive it, but just to have 1 would be nice too...

I can't wait to get my next CCR and Pray that day comes soon, getting a bit pissed off without to be honest.

New Member DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge's Avatar
    Hammered Inspiration

GEM, DC55, AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by EngelenD  View Original Post
    Or you are like me ... you don't need one....but you just like to Dive it... for me that's reason enough. Most people also don't need a Porsche or a Mercedes.....they can just as well drive a small Skoda or whatever..... but if you have the choice....."whynot"

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    HEAR! HEAR!!
    John

RBW Member NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC  View Original Post
    I assume you read the second part of that paragraph where I pointed out that you're checking bags either way, so it doesn't matter.
    I didn't see anything that implied that the OP wanted to travel without checking bags. I would never travel anywhere where I intended to dive with my own CCR that didn't require that.

Sorry if I wasn't helpful to you, but you sound like the kind of chap that doesn't need anyone else's help anyway, so I'll live with that.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    Just how is a mCCR an advantage in caves with sawtoothy profiles? What am I missing here?
    Yes I'm curious too.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

One thing I have found to absolutely hate about an ECCR is diving sawtooth profiles. If you are in a tight area and you are forced to ascend, then your po2 will drop and the solenoid will fire. This injects even more volume into the already expanding counterlungs and can pin you to the ceiling.

With a MCCR or HCCR, you can just let the po2 degrade momentarily until you actually want to modify it. Many times you just waste O2 since you are going to be dropping right back to a deeper area again any way.

There is no rule that says you must keep a rock solid po2. A close average is perfectly fine as long as you keep track of it.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Well this got a bit wild. Not sure why it says since 05 in my profile, I've never dove CC diving.
    Why do I want a rebreather, more bottom time, less bubbles, more interaction with wildlife, etc. I'm in school for oceanography and a rebreather could be a useful tool.
    Money isn't a real issue for me, I own my own businesses and retired from the military. Everything I do now is just to enjoy life and follow my passions.

I'll try to answer some questions.
    Silent, that is a very good point on the scrubber and that's exactly the kind of input I was looking for. It's little things that are easy to miss.
    Although I have a buddy who modified his scrubber to be packable, it's not something I would do. This guy has about 50x more experience in technical diving, modification and design than I do.

I'm not concerned with checked baggage. Hell I came to Hawaii with 3 checked bags and a large bicycle just for vacation but transporting it all from the airport was a hassle. My travel concern is breakdown size, ease and durability. I liked the optima because I know a few guys who dive it and I watched one take a spill and tumble down a hill without any damage, except to the owners ego.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    One thing I have found to absolutely hate about an ECCR is diving sawtooth profiles. If you are in a tight area and you are forced to ascend, then your po2 will drop and the solenoid will fire. This injects even more volume into the already expanding counterlungs and can pin you to the ceiling.

With a MCCR or HCCR, you can just let the po2 degrade momentarily until you actually want to modify it. Many times you just waste O2 since you are going to be dropping right back to a deeper area again any way.

There is no rule that says you must keep a rock solid po2. A close average is perfectly fine as long as you keep track of it.
    And why can't you do that with ECCR? when I am cave diving I put my setpoint at .7 and try to fly the rig at 1.0 manually. I rarely hear the solenoid fire when I do that as I find it quite easy to fly my ECCR in manual mode.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    And why can't you do that with ECCR? when I am cave diving I put my setpoint at .7 and try to fly the rig at 1.0 manually. I rarely hear the solenoid fire when I do that as I find it quite easy to fly my ECCR in manual mode.
    Because that is not what was asked. You would essentially by running it as a HCCR rather than ECCR.

I was referring to running in full ECCR mode. I have a hybrid unit and leave SP at .4 all the time.

Sent from my E500A using Tapatalk
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast