+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rebreather line up, my choices

Rebreather line up, my choices

So I need to make a decision on rebreather, I've come down to pretty much 3 rebreathers that are available to me.
    Outside the normal requirements of reliability and safety one of other factors is travel ability. I fly around the world a lot.
    So here's my choices. I'm using my GI bill and these are what I have found that I'm interested in..I've nixed Poseidon, prism and liberty already.

Megalodon
    Optima2
    Possibly JJ

Does anyone have any input on these? Always interested in hearing about common issues or out standing features that I may have over looked.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Re: Rebreather line up, my choices

First question you should ask yourself is WHY do you want to buy and get trained on a rebreather. Many have different reasons but I always ask prospective RB divers why they actually want to go through the hassle, and yes they are a PITA compared to OC.

Once you identify that and have a good reason to get into them, you should find the unit that matches your needs. Most on the market today (I take exception with a few, you identified one above as being a complete POS) have positive and negatives. Understanding these should help you make a wise choice for YOUR needs and YOUR style of diving. What may be good for the guy next to you may not be the best choice for you. You mention travel and that is a good limitation a lot of RBs have in common. They are sensitive to traveling, can be temperamental, YOU will have to travel with spares as it is unlikely your destination will have any back up supplies for you, you will need bail out gas, consumables.... the list goes on. Personally unless NatGeo was paying for my travel, OC would be my first choice hands down.

Do some soul searching and be realistic as to your needs. We all too often read about guys here who have spent the time and $$$$ on RBs only to list them for sale a year later because they don't dive them enough and the economies just don't make "cents" to own and operate one. Again, OC is much better for most people, including me and I dive a RB weekly for my job.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Rebreather line up, my choices

Or you are like me ... you don't need one....but you just like to Dive it... for me that's reason enough. Most people also don't need a Porsche or a Mercedes.....they can just as well drive a small Skoda or whatever..... but if you have the choice....."whynot"

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    Last edited by EngelenD; 16th October 2017 at 15:09.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by EngelenD  View Original Post
    Or you are like me ... you don't need one....but you just like to Dive it... for me that's reason enough. Most people also don't need a Porsche or a Mercedes.....they can just as well drive a small Skoda or whatever..... but if you have the choice....."whynot"

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    Perfectly fine reason, however I'm trying to illustrate that the costs associated with diving a RB are exponentially higher and traveling with one is a PITA.

As long as you have a trust fund or someone paying you to dive for "fun" than that's as good a reason as any other. But to get one just to say you dive a RB or to get a fancy cert card only to have it sit in your garage is lame...

Recently there was some weenie wanna-be here on RBW who flapped on about getting a LARVII, took a funny selfie in his bedroom with it and his TAC Board (he was missing his Ka-Bar knife unfortunately), and started spouting off how awesome he was that he bought a unit as rare as a unicorn horn. Then he went on to say it would never get wet, WTF? That is what I mean when I say have a good reason to get into diving a RB and know upfront the costs associated with it.

New Member Heliox is an unknown quantity at this point Heliox's Avatar
    CCR Liberty

Prism Topaz, Inspo, P2

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    First question you should ask yourself is WHY do you want to buy and get trained on a rebreather. Many have different reasons but I always ask prospective RB divers why they actually want to go through the hassle, and yes they are a PITA compared to OC.

Once you identify that and have a good reason to get into them, you should find the unit that matches your needs. Most on the market today (I take exception with a few, you identified one above as being a complete POS) have positive and negatives. Understanding these should help you make a wise choice for YOUR needs and YOUR style of diving. What may be good for the guy next to you may not be the best choice for you. You mention travel and that is a good limitation a lot of RBs have in common. They are sensitive to traveling, can be temperamental, YOU will have to travel with spares as it is unlikely your destination will have any back up supplies for you, you will need bail out gas, consumables.... the list goes on. Personally unless NatGeo was paying for my travel, OC would be my first choice hands down.
    Do some soul searching and be realistic as to your needs. We all too often read about guys here who have spent the time and $$$$ on RBs only to list them for sale a year later because they don't dive them enough and the economies just don't make "cents" to own and operate one. Again, OC is much better for most people, including me and I dive a RB weekly for my job.
    His profile says he's been on ccr since '05...

MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by Heliox  View Original Post
    His profile says he's been on ccr since '05...
    Which one, RB that is? I'd say that's the one he should buy, don'tca think?

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Shanehugs  View Original Post
    So I need to make a decision on rebreather, I've come down to pretty much 3 rebreathers that are available to me.
    Outside the normal requirements of reliability and safety one of other factors is travel ability. I fly around the world a lot.
    So here's my choices. I'm using my GI bill and these are what I have found that I'm interested in..I've nixed Poseidon, prism and liberty already.

Megalodon
    Optima2
    Possibly JJ

Does anyone have any input on these? Always interested in hearing about common issues or out standing features that I may have over looked.
    Hello SH, while Iím not a fan of any of the above, it would appear you prefer over the shoulder counter lungs, which is the best choice if you want the best work of breathing in all positions. If that is true, you have many more choices than those 3. Iím not in habit of answering these kinds of posts as my choice is no longer manufactured and I find most new CCRís to be either overly complicated or too big and heavy for my traveling self. My only specific comment about your choices is that traveling with an Optima will be both more restrictive and expensive as they use cartridge scrubbers which limits travel to places with dive shops that carry Diverite, or taking up a lot of luggage space to pack the cartridges. Either way, it will be more expensive than diving with a CCR that uses granular sorb.

As for traveling with a CCR, aside from the fact that travel in general is more of a pita than it was 16 years ago, after diving mine since 2002 I donít find traveling with a CCR hard at all. I even bring my cylinders more often than not, and have even brought tubs of sorb when I had less $ and a better back. Itís probably still the cheapest way to do a long trip, even with excess baggage. A good spares kit and troubleshooting knowledge and I have never missed a dive. I just returned from a 16 day trip to the Solomon Islands, 42 hrs underwater without one issue or alarm.

As for needing a CCR, Iím not sure any of us really need one unless we are doing archeology that involves deco, or some other occupation requiring deco. Just try to imagine what kind of diving you think you want to do, do your homework about each unitís features and what kind of diving other people are doing with them, and things will become clearer.

For myself, I mostly do minimal deco, travel to all my destinations and got a CCR to have the best possible wildlife interactions. I can not recommend them enough if you love animals, especially big ones. I have further dive ambitions, time and money permitting, but I think CCR is the natural next step if you love diving... - Andy

RBW Member JohnnyC is an unknown quantity at this point JohnnyC's Avatar

If travel is your prime motivator, none of those travel easily. That being said, you're probably resigning yourself to checking a bunch of bags with any of those anyway so pick the one that has the features you like best.

If you want a CCR that travels well, you can fit a Pelagian and all accoutrements sans tanks in a carry-on. The X-plate takes any tank you can throw at it so you can snag tanks at your destination and not need to carry extra brackets. You've got to be comfortable with a needle valve, and Andy's two sensor paradigm, or add a separate one for 3rd cell monitoring.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC  View Original Post
    If travel is your prime motivator, none of those travel easily. That being said, you're probably resigning yourself to checking a bunch of bags with any of those anyway so pick the one that has the features you like best.

If you want a CCR that travels well, you can fit a Pelagian and all accoutrements sans tanks in a carry-on. The X-plate takes any tank you can throw at it so you can snag tanks at your destination and not need to carry extra brackets. You've got to be comfortable with a needle valve, and Andy's two sensor paradigm, or add a separate one for 3rd cell monitoring.
    Just chiming in to say that I have dived with somebody who used a Pelagian, and I think itís a very simple, reliable and sensible design. I wish it had a radial scrubber option, but otherwise, I think itís one of the best over the shoulder couterlung units. And, if I get another CCR, it will be a needle valve MCCR as I think they are better for cave diving and overhead environments due to the frequent depth changes. They are also preferable to regular fixed orafice MCRs if your workload varies a lot and you are task loaded, like diving in a current and carrying a camera... -Andy

RBW Member NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC  View Original Post
    If travel is your prime motivator, none of those travel easily.
    I've taken my JJ to Bikini - twice. It's harder to think of any dive destination harder to reach from the UK.

Fits into a Peli case and weighs 23kg.

If you want a CCR that travels well, you can fit a Pelagian and all accoutrements sans tanks in a carry-on......
    If I were buying a CCR purely for the convenience of travel, I'd probably choose a Pathfinder. The Pelagian wouldn't even register on my list.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast