+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New JJ Diver from North East UK

RBW Member lloydpickering is an unknown quantity at this point lloydpickering's Avatar
    JJ CCR

New JJ Diver from North East UK

Hi all,

I registered way back in March when I was looking into CCR, but my account has only just been confirmed today - kind of appropriate I guess as I completed IART Mod 1 JJ last weekend!

I'm a fairly new diver in general, with only a little over a year since I completed basic OW (albeit a rather busy scuba year for a newbie) and have transitioned over to CCR rather quickly. I could say it's because of the advice of buddies that it's easier to make the move when you aren't as ingrained with OC skills, but truthfully, its more because I'm getting married next year, and once that happens, there's no chance I'd have been able to get the cash for a new unit!

Most of my dive buddies who are on CCR are either Visions or Classics, but after a try dive on the Vision vs a JJ, I went for the JJ.

My normal go to diving spot would be St Abbs in Scotland. I've been to the Sound of Mull earlier, was hoping to go to Scapa Flow in November (but it wasn't to be as I couldn't get a buddy in time and boat got booked up), and am planning Mull and Scapa again next year, and wedding/cashflow permitting, maybe even a pretty fish trip somewhere tropical (which raises the question of do I travel with the JJ or not...).

I work in software so am particularly interested in the technology and software behind rebreathers - be it electronics, sensor or deco algorithms etc etc. Basically I'm a bit of a geek.

Hope to contribute to the discussions from time to time.

Lloyd

Administrator mrmidhoratio@gmail.com is an unknown quantity at this point mrmidhoratio@gmail.com's Avatar
    rEvo

Re: New JJ Diver from North East UK

Hello and welcome from a fellow geek!

Ken

RBW Member topper133 is an unknown quantity at this point topper133's Avatar
    XCCR

Welcome mate, my 'local' dive haunts are St Abbs, Eyemouth, Seahouses etc too.

I did Scapa in August, and am booked to go again next August, great weeks diving, especially on CCR.

I did a weeks liveaboard in Egypt 2 weeks ago, I was undecided but ended up taking my unit and I'm glad I did! Was a great way to enjoy the red sea. Don't be scared to travel with your unit, I've never had a problem. I'm off to Truk in November, and will obviously without doubt be taking it!!

RBW Member hamishmorrison is an unknown quantity at this point hamishmorrison's Avatar
    JJ DiveCAN

Hey Lloyd, welcome to the forum from a fellow JJ diver, based in the south of England, although I originally hail from the NE too. Pretty much exclusively dive the south coast these days, but got a trip to Scapa next June which I hope is as good as I remember & like you say it'll be great to dive it on the rebreather.

I took my unit to Truk a couple of years ago. Definitely a destination where the CCR is the way to go! You'll find some useful info on packing your unit for travel on this & other forums.

Hamish.

RBW Member lloydpickering is an unknown quantity at this point lloydpickering's Avatar
    JJ CCR

Cheers for the warm welcome everyone!

+ Reply to Thread