+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: rEvo or SF2

RBW Member tacks is an unknown quantity at this point tacks's Avatar
    SMART CCR

Satori pSCR, KISS Classic, SF2

Re: rEvo or SF2

I had a SF-2 for more than 600 hours and sold it after a lot of issues.
    The support from SF is the worst I have ever seen.
    After a 4h dive in french cave loosing gas, they told me not to make such dives.
    I know lots of SF-2 divers who are satisfied, but most of them do not make long and deep dives. The unit is very simple constructed

rEvo ... not dived ...

RBW Member JonnyQuest is an unknown quantity at this point JonnyQuest's Avatar

Thanks everyone for their input on this topic. There is a lot to way out and figure what works best for you. My final choice was the Revo. For me main factors were, easier to build and break down, easier to fixes in the field, its been well dived and people in my area dive the Revo. The other secondary factor was the cost. Revo is less experience then the SF2. There are also more Revo on the used market that are good unit for my skill level. The one neg point was the water tolerance. I'm not sure if that is going to be a main issue for me.

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

I just found this and see you have made your choice.
    There were some points though at your initial post and nobody has gotten into them, so I just want to comment a bit on it, maybe you can take something away from it or it clears up things a bit

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyQuest  View Original Post
    What I want in a Rebreather:
    1. Redundancy in critical system. Since I plan on doing underwater photography, I do plan on getting the NERD. I have learned that is easy to get lost in the photography moment and lose focus on stats.

Please be aware that in no way using the NERD provides you any redundancy.. There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding of the concept here.
    Sure the NERD is great to keep track of your PO2 and other details (depth, time, deco etc.) while you take picture, but
    it does not relate to redundancy and
    you will still have to actively watch those values.. The distraction by photography stays absolutely the same.. NERD or no NERD, the NERD just provides you with an option for a "quicker read"

As for redundancy with the revo you likely have made the best choice in that regards that is available on the market. The main critical items (O2 cells and scrubber - risk of breakthrough) are redundant and solved for smartly with the revo.
    However to take advantage of such redundancy you will also have to watch the values from those redundant devices (which are not the NERD)

6. Quality beginner unit that wouldn't break the budget. I don't want to be cheep about life support system that I really need underwater, but I don't need the top end new shinny thing too. So good quality used system would work fine.

This one actually made me laugh a bit when I first read it. You narrowed down your selection to the very high end of the spectrum pricewise and neither revo nor SF2 go really a lot cheaper than new, but you found your unit and seem content with it..
    If drive was the driver probably an Inspo would have been the best compromise overall as it has the biggest secondary market and with such large amount of offer quite a different price segment..

7. A unit that I can really learn how to dive correctly. What I'm referring too, is that if something in the electronic or automatic systems craps out, I want to be able to get my butt back to the truck. I'll take bailout, but really don't want to rely on that option.

Again here some sort of misconception it seems.
    You will ALWAYS have to rely on Bailout.. you have no other option, no matter how sophisticated or flexible your unit is, at the end of the day it CAN ALWAYS completely fail.. so don't get complacent and think your unit can do it all..
    You want flexibility in regards to failing systems and maintaining ability to stay on loop, if I understand correctly. You made the right choice here with the revo. Due to its design and redundancy approach it becomes very unlikely that you really ever have to go off the loop. You would either need multiple electronic failures at a time or the loop becomes physically not usable anymore (flooding). So the latter is the only halfway realistic case that you would have to Bailout..
    The other option would be "manmade" - scrubber exhausted..the risk of breakthrough is virtually eliminated with the dual scrubber design..

Quote Originally Posted by mcglencoe  View Original Post
    The lack of DIY replacement CLs could be a concern, here's to hoping that somebody in the aftermarket will start building them..

I do not quite grasp such concern.. In none of any of my rebreathers I ever had an issue with my CLs that would make this topic an area of concern..

Quote Originally Posted by tacks  View Original Post
    The support from SF is the worst I have ever seen.
    After a 4h dive in french cave loosing gas, they told me not to make such dives

Now that is ridiculous, but fits to Dederichs from what I heard here and there it seems..

RBW Member jblack@sgmpresses.com is an unknown quantity at this point jblack@sgmpresses.com's Avatar
    meg,optima

i have no experience with the revo..... i own a sf2 and will say of several ccr's ive owned i love it, super easy to cal, build.... trims well has an amazing flood tolerance.
    very solid unit would recommend

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2