+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rEvo or SF2

RBW Member JonnyQuest is an unknown quantity at this point JonnyQuest's Avatar

rEvo or SF2

I'm looking to get into the rebreather world and have the hard questions to answer. Which unit do I select? I have narrow the field down to two rebreather units, the SF2 and rEvo. I would like to ask the community their thoughts (constructive please) on the both units.

I do realize that both units are very good and will do their jobs is you take care of them and dive correctly. What I'm looking for in the discussion is the finer details and longer term considerations.

Below is some more details of my diving reason and my wants in a rebreather

Reason for Rebreather:
    1. Underwater photography
    2. Able to get to most site and wrecks (depth/time)
    3. Less weight compare to doubles tanks
    4. Gas cost

What I want in a Rebreather:
    1. Redundancy in critical system. Since I plan on doing underwater photography, I do plan on getting the NERD. I have learned that is easy to get lost in the photography moment and lose focus on stats.
    2. Easy of use (setup and teardown)
    3. Able to fix or replace simple parts myself
    4. Able to travel with the unit
    5. I'm entering into tech and need to decide on which direction to go (doubles or side mount) and the rebreather appear to be the better option.
    6. Quality beginner unit that wouldn't break the budget. I don't want to be cheep about life support system that I really need underwater, but I don't need the top end new shinny thing too. So good quality used system would work fine.
    7. A unit that I can really learn how to dive correctly. What I'm referring too, is that if something in the electronic or automatic systems craps out, I want to be able to get my butt back to the truck. I'll take bailout, but really don't want to rely on that option.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Re: rEvo or SF2

I have many hours over many years on a rEvo. They are a great machine and have proven themselves to be very reliable. They have been extremely deep and done some very extended runtimes. They are quick and easy to build, tear down, clean, dive, etc. Unless you get the micro titanium unit, it will not be the best to try to travel with due to both size and weight. Nothing potted to a head that means all the electronics are user replaceable. You CAN NOT purchase counterlungs to replace them yourself. You are forced to send the entire unit to a factory service center and pay a fortune to get it done. You can find used ones for a good deal. Revo dreams suck, but there are alternatives.

One try dive on a SF2 with full build, teardown instructions. Damn near an entire day with the unit. Rivals the rEvo for ease and speed of build, teardown, cleaning etc. You can change the counterlung in 20 minutes and the parts are are readily available to the user. electronics are potted into the head so no user serviceable stuff there without just swapping handsets etc. Very few used ones on the market.

Both use Shearwater goodies, so that makes either one a great choice.

OR, you can buy the SF2 and then trade it to me for my rEvo.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

FNG mcglencoe is an unknown quantity at this point mcglencoe's Avatar
    Rubber Biscuit?

rEvo

I've never ran a SF2, so know nothing about them.

I will say that the rEvo is very easy to use, clean and take care of and the dual scrubber is a pretty slick set-up. The lack of DIY replacement CLs could be a concern, here's to hoping that somebody in the aftermarket will start building them.

Your profile says you're in WA, if so, there is something to be said about running what is common in your area, both for support and like minded dive buddies. Here in the NW, the top two RBs are rEvo and Meg; we also have one of the top notch instructors right here and she teaches both the Meg and rEvo.

FNG mcglencoe is an unknown quantity at this point mcglencoe's Avatar
    Rubber Biscuit?

rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    You CAN NOT purchase counterlungs to replace them yourself. You are forced to send the entire unit to a factory service center and pay a fortune to get it done.
    Dsix, when you were going through your CL issues, did you ever talk to any of the aftermarket manufacturers about building replacement CLs for the rEvo?

It can't be that hard, figure out what material to run and best practice for welding/sealing it, trace out an existing set, and pound some out.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Although I can understand your point considering the counter lungs I would not let my choice depend on it. How many times does one need to change them ? I had a standard for about 5 years , never changed them, my micro is around 3 years, no problems so far.

I think both units look very nice , unfortunately I have no experience with the sf2 ( not yet , the guys from scuba force are only 50 minutes away from my home. )

Have fun deciding :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

RBW Member colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Inspiration Vision, rEvo II Hy

I have 8 years of diving a rEvo, first a rEvo II hybrid then a II RMS & now a rEvo III Micro Titanium RMS with Nerd, I have also owned an SF2 although this was one of the prototypes.
    Personally I have never needed to worry about the counter lungs on my revo except for one tiny leak on a fitting which I tightened myself. Original rEvo dreams were a pita to turn on with "tapping" sequences but the Dream P with piezo button is lovely to use & with the Nerd controller as primary & 2 dreams as back up reading different cells & manual add you have redundancy

The SF2 was a lovely unit easy to strip & clean as is the rEvo.
    BUT Horst would give absolutely no support to me because it was one of the prototypes which I believe were build before he came on the scene but even so still not good customer relations.

As to your point of saving weight over twins ? don't forget to factor in all the extra weight of bailout

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I did find a place but they wanted 1
    $1000 non refundable setup fee above the actual cost to make them. I could not see spending that much and opted to get a better designed unit to solve this issue.

Sent from my E500A using Tapatalk
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    rEvo iii

I have not dived an SF2 just a rEvo for the last 5 years. I may be wrong but there may be a difference in the WOB between both units when heads up or down as the SF2 is not supposed to breathe well when vertical. This may be worthwhile considering before choosing.

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Poseidon Discovery Mark VI

Hi, haven't tried SF2 but rEvo counterlungs are protected within an elther titanium or stainless steel case, so chances of leaks are very low.
    I reckon some guy who has a leak in one did fix it with this special tape which can be used to repair wing bladders ane it worked like a charm.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

RBW Member ash209 is an unknown quantity at this point ash209's Avatar
    revo III mini rms.

IF you are in Washington you need to get ahold of mel clark. she was my instructor and i have zero complaints, except for the much needed abuse from a week at club mel. I was also on the fence about the meg the JJ and the revo. she talked me into the revo. for many reason.I was already headed in the direction of the revo, but she closed the deal. mainly on how simple it is to maintain service, and build. it is also a true duel redundant system. to my knowledge no one else has duel scrubbers. which saves a ton on sorb cost. also i recommend if you can afford it to go with a petal and a nerd. no need for dreams.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast