+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "Divers Deserve the Truth about Rebreather Diving"-Article by TDI

www.AddHelium.com Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium's Avatar

"Divers Deserve the Truth about Rebreather Diving"-Article by TDI

Here is a link to a very interesting article. Check it out HERE
    www.AddHelium.com

RBW Member jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Re: "Divers Deserve the Truth about Rebreather Diving"-Article by TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Add Helium  View Original Post

Here is a link to a very interesting article. Check it out HERE
    I'd just posted a lengthy comment on this article (which I've read elsewhere too) but RBW decided to crash or not post it or both and I don't have time to repeat it all now! :-(
    What I would say is that this is IMHO somewhat flawed - I for one have never heard most of these "often-repeated myths" and at least one of the assertions associated with one of them is IMHO untrue, namely rebreathers not being complex - they are complex in accordance with the definition of the word. I think I can see what the author is aiming at with this piece but IMHO it has the potential to be misinterpreted significantly. YMMV though - maybe I'm just a pedant!

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Interesting? Really?

Struck me as a fairly superficial advertorial opinion piece.

For a moment I thought it might be an unbiased look at both sides of the points raised. Then I wasted time reading it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Owner
    PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis's Avatar
    Revo,Optima, Prism, Meg, Pos 7

Kiss,Evo, Sentinel,Pathfinder,

I can see why some people might take issue with the point-of-view offered in some of the points listed here. It's easy to take apart opinions and points-of-view, as we all differ on these sorts of things.

What was most refreshing to me is that we NEVER hear from training agencies on subject matter like this. It's as if they avoid having any contact with the public other than if you participate in the programs. Of course, after some of the remarks already posted, maybe we can see why they choose not to participate.

Training agencies play an important role in our industry and I feel we would be better off if they participated more with the sport, outside their own domain. This article, I believe, was an attempt by TDI to participate and bring about their perspective. I find that encouraging and refreshing. It would be great to see more of this by more training agencies. I applaud their effort!

So maybe we should all lighten up a little. Agree that not everyone shares your point-of-view and that they have a right to their own. Most of all, let's get those training agencies to participate so maybe they can start getting a handle on what is actually going on in the industry in a more constructive manner.

My two cents...

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

The old IANTD journal of the 90's tried to, GUE's journal did. Various other agencies and organisations have had fairly healthy writing programmes going on. It's a bit disingenuous to say no-one ever writes anything like this. If TDI decide not to put out more content like that, is it much of a loss?

It's not exactly Pulitzer material, is it? Light on content, takes a totally dogmatic view and is basically a marketing piece on why you shouldn't worry about buying a rebreather.

Some of these "myths" actually have as much of a valid point to them as the counterargument does. Rebreathers are complex, rebreathers do make a damn good stab at trying to kill you (what did Gordon stamp on the side of the KISS again?) and there are a hell of a lot of people that are making their normal diving a lot more dangerous just for the sake of having a rebreather strapped to their backs. I'm not going to pick each "myth" apart but there is an equally real other side to that coin. But exploring that doesnt make for good marketing. Might make for a better article but wont sell as much.

It's just a biased opinion piece to encourage people to sign up for more courses.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I've heard every one of those arguments time and time again.

While the piece itself is lite on details, it does give valid arguments.

Personally when someone tries to argue these points with me, unless they actually dive a Rebreather,I just ignore them, because they are just parroting what they've been told or heard

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

By what metric are rebreathers (and associated bailout) NOT complex? Simple to me is free diving and single tank diving. A rebreather is at least 2x the amount of crap as a single tank dive so how that can be defined as simple is beyond me. I thought its analysis was incredibly fluffy and sugar coated but hey it was a marketing piece - they can publish whatever they want.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Well, in simplistic terms,a rb IS simple. You have gas supply, computer, and scrubber.

"Divers Deserve the Truth about Rebreather Diving"-Article by TDI

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    By what metric are rebreathers (and associated bailout) NOT complex? Simple to me is free diving and single tank diving. A rebreather is at least 2x the amount of crap as a single tank dive so how that can be defined as simple is beyond me. I thought its analysis was incredibly fluffy and sugar coated but hey it was a marketing piece - they can publish whatever they want.
    The workings of a rebreather is quite simple, in theory. What makes a rebreather complex is the redundancies put in place to limit/reduce mechanical/electrical errors and in some cases, user error.

While single tank diving is much simpler with less equipment, it lacks any type of redundancy (unless you are diving with a pony/bailout). Should the 1st stage fail, you will face extremely dire circumstances, depending on your depth of course.

Having recently converted over to rebreathers from side mount, I find it very simple and now that I rely on mostly muscle memory, I find I am enjoying diving much more than previously, however that may also have something to do with much longer NDL times, cheaper gas fills, more comfort in the water, deeper dives and the great team of ccr divers who I dive with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Deerey; 16th January 2016 at 08:33.

Owner
    PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis's Avatar
    Revo,Optima, Prism, Meg, Pos 7

Kiss,Evo, Sentinel,Pathfinder,

See, that's the really great thing about points-of-view. We all have different ones. The problems begin when we start feeling like someone does not have a right to their point-of-view. We don't have to agree to have respect for one another.

I still stand by my statement that training agencies have stayed in the background for far too long and should take a more active role in engaging the diving population...its the only way they will ever get a good read on what the industry needs.

Again, just my two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland  View Original Post
    The old IANTD journal of the 90's tried to, GUE's journal did. Various other agencies and organisations have had fairly healthy writing programmes going on. It's a bit disingenuous to say no-one ever writes anything like this. If TDI decide not to put out more content like that, is it much of a loss?

It's not exactly Pulitzer material, is it? Light on content, takes a totally dogmatic view and is basically a marketing piece on why you shouldn't worry about buying a rebreather.

Some of these "myths" actually have as much of a valid point to them as the counterargument does. Rebreathers are complex, rebreathers do make a damn good stab at trying to kill you (what did Gordon stamp on the side of the KISS again?) and there are a hell of a lot of people that are making their normal diving a lot more dangerous just for the sake of having a rebreather strapped to their backs. I'm not going to pick each "myth" apart but there is an equally real other side to that coin. But exploring that doesnt make for good marketing. Might make for a better article but wont sell as much.

It's just a biased opinion piece to encourage people to sign up for more courses.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast