+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rEvo back plastic protection tape not holding

Hybrid View

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Poseidon Discovery Mark VI

rEvo back plastic protection tape not holding

Hi folks,

My rEvo has returned from its 5-years service, with a new small issue... which has turned into a big pain in the... back.
    My unit is a micro so it comes with this sliding plastic plage which you pull down while diving so that the weight of the unit doesn't reside on your lower back, but on your butt.
    It's a great system which allowed me some 3hours long dive without back pain at all.
    Problem now is that my plastic plate won't stay in position during dive: it tends tol slide up a bit, which lets the Pain on lower back again and defeats its purpose.
    Also when carrying the unit out of the water the plate will slide down on its own, meaning i have to pull it up whenever laying the unit somewhere...
    The root cause really is that there is too little friction between the plate and the rest of the unit, but i don't know what changed during the service. Probably slight differences due to unit disassembly/reassembly, but i can't nail it.
    I've compared my unit with my wife's (same model) which is also back from maintenance but doesn't have any problem with plastic plate, but i can't find anything that cause more friction on hers.

So question to the community: have you experienced the same problem as mine and/or how to workaround it

Cheers
    Nicolas

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Re: rEvo back plastic protection tape not holding

I would disassemble the backplate again, make sure everything under it is flat, the fabric of the wing could be just a little folded or the plastic where the bolts go thru just not straight . Then assemble again and pull the bolts tight.
    I have a micro too but don't always use the cheese plate, I feel that if I put the rEvo high enough on my back it doesn't give me back pain.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Quote Originally Posted by EngelenD  View Original Post
    I would disassemble the backplate again, make sure everything under it is flat, the fabric of the wing could be just a little folded or the plastic where the bolts go thru just not straight . Then assemble again and pull the bolts tight.
    I have a micro too but don't always use the cheese plate, I feel that if I put the rEvo high enough on my back it doesn't give me back pain.

Hi David,
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    I agree it doesn't hurt to disassemble and check again, although if some fabric was folded i'd say it would help.
    The problem i have is that the cheese plate slides too well, but i am not sure which part of the rEvo or wing is supposed to bring enough friction so that the plate doesn't slide that freely.

Cheers
    Nicolas

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

With mine it is pinched betweenin the middle of the cheese plate's the back plate and the wing. In the middle of the cheese plate there is a small piece of the same material as the cheese plate which keeps the plate in the middle and where the bolts go thru, you could make this a little thinner with some sandpaper but not too much or your plate doesn't slide anymore.

rEvo III micro FT RMS

Quote Originally Posted by EngelenD  View Original Post
    With mine it is pinched betweenin the middle of the cheese plate's the back plate and the wing. In the middle of the cheese plate there is a small piece of the same material as the cheese plate which keeps the plate in the middle and where the bolts go thru, you could make this a little thinner with some sandpaper but not too much or your plate doesn't slide anymore.

Great idea David, i'll try the sand-paper to make it fit bit tighter. Will debrief on how it worked.

rEvo III micro FT RMS

An update for those interested: indeed it was all about reducing the space between the bottom metal plate and the wing. The bottom metal plate would if close enough have some friction onto the cheese plate. I haven't actually used sandpaper to make the small white plastic plate thinner, but i tried removing the 2 metal discs which sit below the bolts, and that was enough thickness adjustment.
    Although i didn't want to get rid of those discs since they must be here for a durability reason.
    Fortunately i found a simpler fix: after years of use my cheese plate got a little bended (i am assuming it was totally flat when new) and turning it on the other side did the trick! I believe rEvo had put it back in place upside-down, i mean compared to how it was before the 5y service.
    So problem fixed, thanks again David for sharing an otherwise workable solution!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Nice to hear the problem is solved:)

Greetings
    David

+ Reply to Thread