+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hollis P2 BOV free flow?

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Hollis P2 BOV free flow?

Hello all, I have heard about problems with the Hollis BOV of free flow on entry. Anybody else have this problem, and if so what did you do about it? I had a Divematics years ago with the same issue and couldn't fix it without adding a shutoff on an already bulky piece of gear. I don't like shutoffs because of another moving part which requires maintenance and task loading with something designed for ease of use in a critical moment. There is an old thread which mentions a pre-dive adjustment on the Hollis but I don't see any on the production versions.

Anybody have a positive, non free flow experience with a Hollis or any other BOV? Thanks, -Andy

RBW Member mick4707 is an unknown quantity at this point mick4707's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Re: Hollis P2 BOV free flow?

My Hollis BOV is 3 or so years old and I have had no issues with free flow. I have had no issues with the BOV in the time that I have had it. All I do is clean it with fresh water after each dive and occasionally take the hoses of to inspect the flapper valves.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by mick4707  View Original Post
    My Hollis BOV is 3 or so years old and I have had no issues with free flow. I have had no issues with the BOV in the time that I have had it. All I do is clean it with fresh water after each dive and occasionally take the hoses of to inspect the flapper valves.
    Hi Mick, thanks for the info, glad to hear you've had no issues. Does this include giant stride entries from 1m up?

JJ-CCR

Yes i have done giant strides from 1 m without issue but I do hold my hand up on the BOV in true PADI open water fashion! My most common entry is a roll off the side of the boat.

Prism

Dolphin

Yes i have done giant strides from 1 m without issue but I do hold my hand up on the BOV in true PADI open water fashion! My most common entry is a roll off the side of the boat.
    Ha, true Padi open water fashion!

Yes, it would seem that holding the BOV, as I do with my DSV, would prevent freeflow when hitting the water with a giant stride. How about swimming into current, or hanging on a reef hook in a honking current? Any freeflow then?

JJ-CCR

I was in the Solomon's last year and there were some big currents on deco and I had no issues.

Prism

Dolphin

I was in the Solomon's last year and there were some big currents on deco and I had no issues.
    Glad to hear that Mick, seems there is a wide variance in people's experience with the Hollis BOV and free flow.

Just got back from the Solomons, excellent diving. Very jealous of you living so close to so much of the world's best diving. Not to get off track too much, but was your deco from a wreck dive in the Guadalcanal area? If so, who did you dive with and did you dive with other CCR divers?

JJ-CCR

We were the first group of CCR divers on the TAKA in the Solomon's. Neil Yates ran the trip and the diving was spectacular. The 2 big currents we experienced were on the John Penn and the Aaron Ward. Once I got my Jon line sorted it was quite nice spending over an hour hanging in 29 C water into a ripping current!

I wonder if the 2nd stage on the BOV is tuned a bit too sensitive to cause the free flow? I have tested it in O/C in 80 meters and they breathe really well, much better than the original JJ BOV

Prism

Dolphin

We were the first group of CCR divers on the TAKA in the Solomon's. Neil Yates ran the trip and the diving was spectacular. The 2 big currents we experienced were on the John Penn and the Aaron Ward. Once I got my Jon line sorted it was quite nice spending over an hour hanging in 29 C water into a ripping current!

I wonder if the 2nd stage on the BOV is tuned a bit too sensitive to cause the free flow? I have tested it in O/C in 80 meters and they breathe really well, much better than the original JJ BOV
    Very cool Mick, yes, I was on Taka this last trip as well. Very nice boat and great diving. But no deco diving for us, hope to be able to do some on the next trip...

+ Reply to Thread