+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oxy fuel torch potential

RBW Member apest2many is an unknown quantity at this point apest2many's Avatar
    Optima

AKA-60

Oxy fuel torch potential

Wanted to get the thoughts of folks with a lot more experience on this concept before having a go at it. Could an oxy fuel torch be used to regulate gas addition. Component wise something like a victor 300 series is set up for hose input. Runs thru two independent check valves to keep oxy and fuel from back flowing into tanks. Has two needle valves for fine adjustment of gas flow and is meant to be used with O2 already. Potential thoughts are you could orifice one leg and leave the other regular for a leaky valve bypass combo. Could plumb in dil and O2 thru one for a completely manual controlled build. Self mixing scr with variability on the mix? What other options am I missing? Been thru most of the home built forum and haven't seen this idea before. Thoughts on the parts holdup underwater? That's I think the big variable. Tour here tips could even be repurposed to orifices haven't run across something really tiny but little smith makes a sapphire orifice .006 tip so I guess it's a matter of IP being correct. Thoughts from the masses please.

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Re: Oxy fuel torch potential

Having played with torches in the past. I'm thinking this could work, but would be a bad idea. The regulator isn't designed for being submerged. I'm sure it would work a few times, but corrosion issues will creep in quickly even in fresh water. The working IP pressure on the regulator isn't that high. 15PSI is on the higher side of what I use mine for. Really cranked up it might hit 50 unless you have something special. I really don't see a good way to make this a fixed pressure regulator, at least the few I have had apart.

It's getting late to try for me to try and scale the orfice size which you are thinking of to what is normally used. While you think that is a small orfice, it is massive compared to what is normally used. But you are going to counter that with very low IP pressure. Done right, it might work at a depth. But I don't see a good way to really make a constant mass system. and the torch valve isn't a precise flow control. They are not the needle valves that you are thinking they are.

I'm guessing the regulator is a single stage. All but one of mine are. I have one very old, very large, have no idea where grandpa got this thing at, oxygen regulator that is 2-stage. That might be a lot more friendly for regular pressures. But I still don't see it being a great idea.

The check valves don't have any value that I am aware of for this application.

Optima

AKA-60

Thanks for the reply. Tracking the regs for most torches are going to be pumping out a lower pressure. Didn't include the reg as a part mentioned for that reason. I'm interested in the torch body forward as far as useful parts. Though in what I have looked up so far, the smith little torch for disposable bottles comes with tro regs that look like the $20 type that others have modded for O2 rigs. Why the thoughts on the check valves not being helpful? If you have dil and O2 meeting up you don't want one to flow back into the other tank based on IP. Any insight on any component ratings? That's what I am really shooting for but can't find too much info on spec sheets. Found some with needle valves to 320 psi which is more than would be needed. Cheers.
    Last edited by apest2many; 27th September 2017 at 19:45.

Optima

AKA-60

Cutter head push to cut button might also be usable to make a mav akin to an mjv-2.

+ Reply to Thread