+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pool/training mode

RBW Member moteman is an unknown quantity at this point moteman's Avatar
    Biomarine BP60 SMS

pool/training mode

This might be a really stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I have a Petrel that came with my Optima. Because the low setpoint is .50 PPO2, pool training burns thru a lot of oxygen and results in the CL's being constantly full and venting, making buoyancy control hard to maintain. A more appropriate mix for training in a pool might be closer to .25-28 PPO2 (depending on pool max depth). Is there anyway to lower the setpoint to .25 PPO2 or would I be better off running it on manual and closely monitoring it?
    Last edited by moteman; 18th September 2017 at 18:04.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Re: pool/training mode

There is no reason to run with less than 100% anywhere while shallow - whether in the pool or outside on a "real" dive. Realistically ppO2 is going to be 0.9 to 1.1 because there's leftover air in the loop.

Yes if you go up and down you are venting nearly pure O2. All the more reason to practice not going up & down :)

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Note that I am not an instructor so take this comment for what it's worth....

I know that some people specifically use a dil with a higher PP02 for exactly the reason that you mentioned when doing pools drills.

Just make sure that you label the % O2 properly to ensure that you don't make a mistake on a future dive when something else would be more appropriate.

Just my 2 cents...

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Quote Originally Posted by diverklondike  View Original Post
    Note that I am not an instructor so take this comment for what it's worth....

I know that some people specifically use a dil with a higher PP02 for exactly the reason that you mentioned when doing pools drills.

Just make sure that you label the % O2 properly to ensure that you don't make a mistake on a future dive when something else would be more appropriate.

Just my 2 cents...

I read this at lunch today and thought about it in the afternoon. My thoughts were if the DIL was filled to about the setpoint you could bounce around doing drills and just go through that without having wild swings of PPO that would cause the controller to go wild trying to correct.

Sounds like you are advocating what I was thinking of.

You will still blow through the DIL, but the O2 side should hardly be touched.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

you should be practising minimal or optimal loop volume and should have no trouble whatsoever maintaining 0.5. As an instructor I would never advocate a low setpoint in a pool. No need for it.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Make sure you have a person watch and follow you around topside while your in the pool.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

+ Reply to Thread