+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starving cancer: Dominic D'Agostino at TEDxTampaBay

breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar
    rEvo MicFT rMS/Mini, CKiss#039

Prism2, Halcyon, Dolphin, Ray

Starving cancer: Dominic D'Agostino at TEDxTampaBay

Interesting stuff:
    How study/research on oxygen toxicity/seizure in naval rebreather diving has led to unexpected new found strategies in using ketogenic diet and partial pressure oxygen in the fight against cancer, replacing chemotherapy, surgery and radiation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=3fM9o72ykww

RBW Member evandroairton is an unknown quantity at this point evandroairton's Avatar
    inspo classic AV1

Re: Starving cancer: Dominic D'Agostino at TEDxTampaBay

Although it sounds interesting on the experimental side of the fence, t change those factors in tumour microenviroment is impossible, without starving the host body. It should be noted too that tumours can alter its own microenviroment, with factors like TNF ie, so in most cases this Kind of strategy founds litle use in real world. (in fact there are drugs who diminish tumour supply, like bevacizumab for at least 10 years , and radioterapia is O2 dependent
    immunetherapy is the real game changer lately
    sorry if my answer was too long

By the way, I am an oncologist

Regards

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by evandroairton  View Original Post
    Although it sounds interesting on the experimental side of the fence, t change those factors in tumour microenviroment is impossible, without starving the host body. It should be noted too that tumours can alter its own microenviroment, with factors like TNF ie, so in most cases this Kind of strategy founds litle use in real world. (in fact there are drugs who diminish tumour supply, like bevacizumab for at least 10 years , and radioterapia is O2 dependent
    immunetherapy is the real game changer lately
    sorry if my answer was too long

By the way, I am an oncologist

Regards

Hey thanks for posting your response....no matter how long or short.

Appreciate sharing your expertice and I wish more would do it.

To Davydive: thanks for posting the article! I always appreciate somebody bringing something new to the forefront that (as in this case) leads to a reply/discussion!

Nearly Bubbleless Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz's Avatar
    Halcyon RB80

I've heard Dom D'Agostino's stuff on Joe Rogan's podcasts and looked at some of his research. It's fascinating stuff.

I've been in ketosis for a while now and love it.
    Fat has been melting off my body effortlessly.
    I have so much energy.
    When I miss a meal, I'm never hungry. Missing a meal used to be an emergency, but now it's not even a concern.
    I never get drowsy or lose focus in the afternoon anymore.
    My gassy stomach problems have vanished (some kind of wheat thing).
    I also love smothering everything in mayonnaise, bacon cheese. Fat is so delicious.

The whole curing cancer thing and avoiding seizures and reversing diabetes sounds almost too good to be true.
    However, 100 years ago, epileptics were prescribed a ketogenic diet. That changed with big pharma and anti-seizure medication.
    Diabetics also used to be told to avoid carbs and sugars. Now they're told to avoid sugars and fats and to consume things like rice and bread - which effectively get broken down into sugar.
    There are also so many anecdotes about keto being used to cure cancer. While I wouldn't bank on something like keto curing cancer, I wouldn't rule it out either without proper epidemiological studies.

Other than fat loss and generally feeling great, I've seen big positive changes in my bloodwork and blood pressure.
    If keto does actually prevent seizures, cure cancer, reverse diabetes, etc, then great. If not, I'll enjoy all the other benefits I've been reaping.
    Did I mention that eating bacon and mayonnaise is encouraged

RBW Member evandroairton is an unknown quantity at this point evandroairton's Avatar
    inspo classic AV1

Bacon is nice!

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

We went Ketogenic for about a year and now modified to a very low carb diet. We were diving while ketogenic without any negative side effects and overall felt great.

BTW, if anybody wants to participate in the ketogenic oxygen toxicity study, please contact:

Anita M. Dixon
    Administrative Assistant Sr.
    Pediatric Neurology
    Medical College of Wisconsin
    (414) 266-7516 Phone
    (414) 337-7908 Fax
    adixon@mcw.edu

As per the study administrators:
    This research could possibly extend the range and safety of Closed-Circuit Rebreather (CCR) Oxygen/Mixed-Gas diving technology by utilizing "Ketogenic Diet" (modified Atkins "low carbohydrate" Diet). This may accomplish what no anti-convulsant medication has: dramatic reduction of the risk of seizures due to Central Nervous System Oxygen Toxicity; because Ketogenic Diet acts by reducing "oxidative stress". I've attached our article in Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine (UHM) 2014;41:357-361 "Ketogenic Diet for high partial pressure Oxygen Diving", our protocol and consent form, FYI. Divers need not alter their dive plan at all. We just ask that divers choose to be on the Ketogenic Diet (or not) for a day or two (menus included in our UHM article), and then enter their dive data into our https://www.research.net/s/DivingStudy website-database.

The purpose of this study is to assess whether diving in ketosis decreases the incidence of oxygen toxicity in divers using closed circuit rebreathers, thereby decreasing the incidence of oxygen induced seizures and the risk of sustaining decompression illness during a rapid ascent rescue. By monitoring divers who have experienced symptoms of oxygen toxicity in the past, as well as those who have not, we will be able to detect a decrease in number of events in the divers on a ketogenic diet if such a decrease exists.

Nearly Bubbleless Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz's Avatar
    Halcyon RB80

Keto also increases breath hold time. That would be useful for freedivers. I play underwater hockey, so very useful to me.

FNG mcglencoe is an unknown quantity at this point mcglencoe's Avatar
    Rubber Biscuit?

rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post

BTW, if anybody wants to participate in the ketogenic oxygen toxicity study, please contact:

Anita M. Dixon
    Administrative Assistant Sr.
    Pediatric Neurology
    Medical College of Wisconsin
    (414) 266-7516 Phone
    (414) 337-7908 Fax
    adixon@mcw.edu
    I contacted Anita and she is sending out information on the study. I feel better eating a low carb diet in general, so this has got me interested. Thanks for posting that up.

+ Reply to Thread