+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BO - How do you place the second tank ?

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Re: BO - How do you place the second tank ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    yea, like whut? You'll sound like 2 elephants fornicating underwater.
    Too funny, and an annoyance!

Roland Somodi rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver's Avatar
    Homebuilt(s)

Inspiration Classic

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    I guess I need to ask why? There's no long hose off the right post issue like on open circuit doubles; so what is the issue with using the right side of your body to store a cylinder?
    Ocasionally I still dive OC in caves (Molnar Janos for example) so I tend to keep things simple and not having to worry about diving a different config. Also I carry my light in my right hand (not GUE) and also operate the camcorder housing with right hand, so prefer to keep my right side clean/empty. My cave dive buddies with the exception of 1 are all on OC, so we all carry the gases the same way. It is really just personal preference and as they say, "old habits die hard". Just my two cents worth...
    Very Respectfully

Roland Somodi

sent from my Commodore 64 using Wizard of War....

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by moose_grunt  View Original Post
    Ditto. Not worried about long-hose problems encountered with staging on the right. If sidemounted, I also do not have to worry about propwash from scooter free-flowing regs (FWIW, I also have flow-stops on the second stages, so this is even less of a concern).

What I DO worry about is making sure that there is only one breathable BO tank on the left side. If I have to bail out, I may not be thinking clearly enough to go through a proper gas switch protocol (complete with buddy check) like I would switching deco gases on OC. Thus, breathable bottom mix on left, deco gas on right. I haven't moved past two bottle bailout dives yet, but I suspect the solution will be tmam bailout as mentioned above.

Jim
    Are you using a BOV?
    Using a BOV mitigates the "I want to bail NOW" but don't have the time to verify gases.

I'm using a shrimp off the left side deep tank, and also have a 7ft long hose stuffed on that cylinder to be able to donate it. When I add a 3rd gas its an AL40 of oxygen which rides underneath the Al80. I tried leashing bottles like I used to do on OC; it didnt work for me. My sidemount buttplate is too far down towards my knees and I didn't ever get to the point where I could smoothly move it forward and clip it under the sidemounted cylinder with gloves on. So I just put it under the left sidemount bottle to begin with.

RBW Member airb is an unknown quantity at this point airb's Avatar
    rEvo 3 St

Tx some interesting feedback.
    My first idea was also to sidemount on each side.

I was thinking that more of you would carry both BO on the left.
    I'll try both
    So question for the "2 tanks on the left" users: The one which is the closest to you is the Bottom BO and the deco NX on the "external left" ?

Tx

RBW Member Ethanoln is an unknown quantity at this point Ethanoln's Avatar
    Megaladon 2.7

First will be the deepest gass, sidemount left.
    Second Shallowest, sidemount right.

Third will be a deco gass so it goes on the right shoulder.
    Fourth will be the second deepest mix so it goes on the left shoulder.

In the rare event of more, the rest will be leashed.

This leaves the left side "fairly" safe even if the gas switch protocols are not on top of the priority list.

/Ole

FNG mcglencoe is an unknown quantity at this point mcglencoe's Avatar
    Rubber Biscuit?

rEvo

I carried two AL 80s (one per side as below) for about 10 dives before Mod 2, after the 3rd or 4th dive, I hardly noticed the 2nd AL80 was even there.

For Mod 2, it was deep mix Left, rich Right.

FWIW:
    I didn't carry a third bottle until Mod 3 and I was definitely not crisp enough in my skills due to that 3rd bottle I hadn't carried before. Again by dive number four in the class I was starting to get it down, but wished I had spent a few dives before class getting the feel of it.

For Mod 3, it was deep mix on the Left, travel on the Right with the rich mix feather mounted up and behind on Left.

I also have carried deep gas on the Left, travel gas feather mounted above that and the rich on the Right. Which I like better as hopefully it teaches me that my rich is always on my Right.

Also wished I had done a couple dives OC before taking Mod 3, bailing out from 245' took a minute or two of "oh, yeah, this is what OC feels like...." by 200' it was all good. LoL!

RBW Member Mr.Dave is an unknown quantity at this point Mr.Dave's Avatar
    Meg

Insp Classic

Quote Originally Posted by mcglencoe  View Original Post

...feather mounted...

LoL!

I've not come across this term before, do you mean just mounted by the nose??

regards,

D

FNG mcglencoe is an unknown quantity at this point mcglencoe's Avatar
    Rubber Biscuit?

rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dave  View Original Post
    I've not come across this term before, do you mean just mounted by the nose??

regards,

D

Its the term that the instructor used.

After bungee-ing back the top of the lower tank (Ed mod?), clip off the 3rd tank top bolt snap to the top D-ring alongside/outside of 2nd tank bolt snap, then flip the 3rd tank up and over the lower tank and then clip it to bottom to my rEvo stand.

Wow, that was a mouthful, hopefully makes sense.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by mcglencoe  View Original Post

After bungee-ing back the top of the lower tank (Ed mod?), clip off the 3rd tank top bolt snap to the top D-ring alongside/outside of 2nd tank bolt snap, then flip the 3rd tank up and over the lower tank and then clip it to bottom to my rEvo stand.

What kind of neck bungie are you using? Any chance you have a picture? They do not sound like the "old school" bungie setup which loops around just the knob of the valve. The other common type loops around the neck of the valve/tank which sounds like what you are doing. Hard to tell without a picture

pike pikewashere is an unknown quantity at this point pikewashere's Avatar
    rEvo

In open water, two on the left is what works for me.

Deep bailout on the outside with a long hose bunged around my neck, and the second bailout on the inside. Scooter on the right.

If I need to bailout in a stressful situation, I know all i have to do is go to the necklace.
    (I also label the reg with the MOD of the gas, just to be sure, this is more for when you get into three to five bailout, but a good methodology even with two).

For an overhead environment, sidemount would be the way to go to keep it streamlined.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast