+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scooter discomfort

RBW Member shortkidd is an unknown quantity at this point shortkidd's Avatar
    Hollis Prism2

Poseidon Se7en

Scooter discomfort

Just finished a 3 hour dive with a buddy on my Genesis 1200. Great scooter and the battery stayed with me the whole way. Very impressive.

I dive a p2 with the standard crotch strap and I have come to find that this HURTS to put it mildly after being dragged around for a bit. My nether regions are sore.

So, is it just me? Do others have the same issue? What are others doing to resolve? I think a climbing harness type setup would be a better way to go as it puts the pressure on the back of both legs vs the perineum area.

RBW Member colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Inspiration Vision, rEvo II Hy

Re: Scooter discomfort

Think one of these is what you mean
    :- https://dive-xtras.com/3-point-crotch-strap/

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Fast scooters abd soft crotch straps are not a winning combination. I use a very stiff 2" wide crotch strap and dont't have any troubles.

Michael

The Evolution of Diving diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob's Avatar
    Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

I bought a cheap climbing harness and it worked great! It even fits over my dry suit with no issues. However I only use it when I am diving with OC divers who need to get to where they are going fast otherwise I use my crotch strap and go at a slower speed 😜

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

I used a standard crotch strap for years with a Cuda 850. Make sure it is snug, because a loose one will pull in all the wrong places.

I've recently gotten a piranha, after moving to the pacific. I dive exclusively in board shorts, and found the crotch strap just isn't comfortable. It's amazing what a few mm of neoprene can do. I tried a split strap (there are a few pics up here from DSix and FLDVR), but eventually ended up buying about 10 ft of tubular webbing and tie a "hasty webbing harness". I've been pretty happy with that so far.

Jim

Hollis Prism2

Poseidon Se7en

Thanks for all of the responses. The "hasty webbing harness" looks very interesting I like where the scoot would pull too....I may have to give that a try. Also, looks ez enough to tie on a rocking boat. Do you end up using a carabiner or a large snap bolt to connect the scooter?

Quote Originally Posted by moose_grunt  View Original Post
    I used a standard crotch strap for years with a Cuda 850. Make sure it is snug, because a loose one will pull in all the wrong places.

I've recently gotten a piranha, after moving to the pacific. I dive exclusively in board shorts, and found the crotch strap just isn't comfortable. It's amazing what a few mm of neoprene can do. I tried a split strap (there are a few pics up here from DSix and FLDVR), but eventually ended up buying about 10 ft of tubular webbing and tie a "hasty webbing harness". I've been pretty happy with that so far.

Jim

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shortkidd  View Original Post
    Thanks for all of the responses. The "hasty webbing harness" looks very interesting I like where the scoot would pull too....I may have to give that a try. Also, looks ez enough to tie on a rocking boat. Do you end up using a carabiner or a large snap bolt to connect the scooter?
    I've been using a large bolt snap, but am considering finding a carabiner to do it. Sometimes I'm too lazy to find both the waist strap and crotch loop to clip, and just clip into the crotch loop part. Seems to work OK. Nice thing about this is it's really cheap, so if you don't like it, you're not out a bunch of money (and you can use the tubular webbing for covering hose clamps, stage straps, etc.)

Jim

RBW Member yuglez is an unknown quantity at this point yuglez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moose_grunt  View Original Post
    I've been using a large bolt snap, but am considering finding a carabiner to do it. Sometimes I'm too lazy to find both the waist strap and crotch loop to clip, and just clip into the crotch loop part. Seems to work OK. Nice thing about this is it's really cheap, so if you don't like it, you're not out a bunch of money (and you can use the tubular webbing for covering hose clamps, stage straps, etc.)

Jim
    I have a Genesis 1200 with over 800 hours of trigger-on time. I'm using a V-shaped crotch strap running from the waist without any discomfort. Longest dive so far with the scooter was 3 hours and 45 mins without any discomfort. Have friends using dive xtras harness and are very happy with them.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Hollis Prism2

Poseidon Se7en

Did you purchase something off of the shelf? What mode/brand? I am interested to look at all options.

Quote Originally Posted by yuglez  View Original Post
    I have a Genesis 1200 with over 800 hours of trigger-on time. I'm using a V-shaped crotch strap running from the waist without any discomfort. Longest dive so far with the scooter was 3 hours and 45 mins without any discomfort. Have friends using dive xtras harness and are very happy with them.

RBW Member yuglez is an unknown quantity at this point yuglez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shortkidd  View Original Post
    Did you purchase something off of the shelf? What mode/brand? I am interested to look at all options.
    Made it with a piece of 2" webbing, D ring and belt clips.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast