+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery usage question

RBW Member Arjantange is an unknown quantity at this point Arjantange's Avatar
    AP Inspiration Vision (2012)

Battery usage question

Hi, I have a question about battery usage.

I bought a Vision (2012, with CR123 + MK3 solenoid) from a friend and followed the Mod 1 course.

I'm having a small problem with the battery usage. I can only get 2 dives of about 1,5 hrs each out of the CR123 batteries. And in the second dive at the end I already get the battery low alarm.

Is this normal?
    How many hours do you normally get with the CR123s?

I try to lower the light of the display handset. Also try to fly it manually (as less solenoid as possible), but it only extended the battery for a little, maybe 1 hour longer.

Anybody any ideas?
    Thanks !

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

Re: Battery usage question

That's not normal. I was taught to change the batteries at 20 hours, in order to not run into low batteries and having to change batteries on a boat somewhere.

What brand batteries are you using? Name brand (I think Energizer are the recommended brand, but I'm sure someone will correct me ), fresh batteries?

Jim

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

I've tried many brands of the batteries, but Energizer Lithium do perform longer in my situation. I don't understand why the E has better life, but I've come to accept it when I have an option of brand to purchase. Having said that, I've used a couple other brands when inventory dictates, but gravitate back to Energizer when possible.

When the head was in for service a couple years ago, I commented on how battery 2 compartment was giving me warnings despite the rotation. They performed some service on that container and reminded me of the required torque for the battery cap. Are you seeing low battery in the same compartment?

RBW Member Arjantange is an unknown quantity at this point Arjantange's Avatar
    AP Inspiration Vision (2012)

I have used Duracell, Varta's and Fujitsus. All have around the same lifetime.
    But I have not used Energizers.
    I will try to find some Energizers in the Netherlands. These are harder to finf an about twice the price of the others, but if this works it will increase lifetime significantly.

Do you mean by torque to tighten them really hard? With a coin?
    I tighten them around hand tight, not to much and mostly I use a coin.

B1 is about 3 hours diving untill alarms comes in, and B2 lasts around 6 hours now and is still full (3 bars).
    Last edited by Arjantange; 1st August 2017 at 14:18.

RBW Member far052 is an unknown quantity at this point far052's Avatar

Strange...

Lets say you have 4 new batteries.
    Put 2 in B1 box. Put the last 2 in B2 box.
    Usually, after around 16 hours, batteries from B1 are drained.
    You have to:
    1) buy 2 new batteries
    2) ***MOVE*** batteries from B2 to B1
    3) put the 2 fresh batteries in B2 box

During the dive, B1 looks drained ...
    1) shut off C1 controler (--> rtfm)
    2) now your B2 batteries are also drained by your handset and your solenoid.
    3) wake up C1 controler​. B1 only supports its controler C1.
    4) consider to adjust handset luminosity and contrast to help B2 if needed
    5) consider to play with your o2 inflator to help your solenoid ... and B2 if needed
    6) continue your dive
    7) buy 2 new batteries and... read this message again

My2cents

Fred

RBW Member matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram's Avatar
    inspiration

Not normal. Assuming your O2 IP is ~7.5bar then this sounds like either a solenoid issue or a loom issue. Either way it's back to base for the fix. If unlucky it will be a controller board issue.

Matt.

is there any good rechargeable battery to use with this rebreather?

RBW Member MadUKDiver is on a distinguished road MadUKDiver is on a distinguished road MadUKDiver's Avatar
    AP Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by marc.collin  View Original Post
    is there any good rechargeable battery to use with this rebreather?
    No, the only useful (safe) rechargeable battery for Vision is the one AP sell as an upgrade replacement for the original primary cell holder.

Energizer recommended CR123/223 Lithium / Manganese Dioxide primary cell - Typical Capacity: 1500 mAh (to 2.0/4.0 volts)

Tenergy/Nitecore RCR123A 3.7V Li-ion rechargeable battery - Claimed Capacity: 650mAh (but search "rechargeable batteries for use with Arlo cameras" to see field reports on how useless these cells actually are).

It's not just low capacity that's the problem. The voltage curve is wrong so the battery gauge on the vision will be useless and the unit may not switch correctly from B1 to B2 which may lead to a loss of the Vision or a reboot underwater.

Some may try rechargeables but I would not recommend it.

market of apdiving is very low

ap diving use another company to create battery... surely a way to buy directly instead of paying a lot of money ...

RBW Member DGraham is on a distinguished road DGraham is on a distinguished road DGraham's Avatar
    APD Evoltion Vision

RB80 Clone/ KISS Sidewinder

Quote Originally Posted by marc.collin  View Original Post
    market of apdiving is very low

ap diving use another company to create battery... surely a way to buy directly instead of paying a lot of money ...
    The rechargeable battery requires a firmware change as well as the battery to work properly. I don’t think they just add the battery to an older unit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast