+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to me, rEvo problem

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

New to me, rEvo problem

How is it possible for my cell splitter cables to be generating mv readings with nothing connected to them?
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member HaisaiMatt is on a distinguished road HaisaiMatt is on a distinguished road HaisaiMatt's Avatar
    MK15.5, rEvo, Sentinel, LarV

Optima, MK15

Re: New to me, rEvo problem

Very interesting post.

Where are you seeing the reading, and what is the reading? 1-2mv or are we talking 20mv?

I've had strange things happen with Digital Volt Meters when the battery's get low. It could be the DVM needs calibration, but I doubt that. I'm really interested to know the magnitude of the readings and what device they're on. Also, is the reading consistent across all splitters?

Curious to find out the root cause on this.

Cheers,
    Matt

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

the reading are all over the place from 80mv to 12mv. one sp[litter is still fine with zero across all outputs. I have the out and on the bench using a multimeter (definitely not a cheap one either). the cells themselves are still withn spec after washing them, but i doubt they will last.

More info: I flooded the unit early in the dive and continued for an hour before going up. Max depth was 130' and the unit had a lot of water in it. Both scrubbers were completely soaked and the entire counterlungs and everything in them had the slime covering from being subjected to a caustic solution.

I washed everything, including the cells but the splitters are still funky. I currently have them in the pressure pot with fresh water at 400' to see if that stops the "electrolysis" or whatever is going on.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

RBW Member HaisaiMatt is on a distinguished road HaisaiMatt is on a distinguished road HaisaiMatt's Avatar

Optima, MK15

This is pretty interesting- it sounds like a redox reaction is occurring. Please keep us posted.

Matt

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

After removing form the pressure pot they were better but readings would fluctuate when the cable was moved. I ended up stripping the heat shrink from the isolation resistors to clean that area and dry it thoroughly. That seemed to fix both the lower than expected resistance of 10k and the mysterious mv reading being generated. I ran out of the proper sized heat shrink to finish it up tonight so it will have to wait for now.

RBW Member Lee Stroke is an unknown quantity at this point Lee Stroke's Avatar
    Revo

So are you going the share how you flooded your rebreather?

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

user error when removing unit to fix leaking inflator elbow

RBW Member Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee's Avatar
    OPTIMA

Between the flooding and losing a light sounds like you had a fun dive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Don-

Troubleshooting 101: Work from what you know to be true, then isolate and eliminate.

- Be certain you DVM is telling you the truth. Sounds like it is, but find a way to double check.

- I don't know the specifics of rEvo cell splitters, but if it can be totally removed (isolated) from the unit, I'd do so.

- If isolated splitter still generates mV, you ARE making mV.

- It takes electrolyte and metal to make electrons flow in a quasi-battery. Sounds like your flood did a decent job of providing electrolyte of a sort.

- If you cannot eliminate ALL of the electrolyte, you'll still make electrons flow to some degree. I'd bet we both know the real world chances of eliminating all of it from inside a cable. Sounds like you're making a valiant effort w/ pressure pot, but getting all of it, well... What's your time worth?

If at all possible (again, I don't know if splitter is a discreetly replaceable item on rEvo) simply replacing splitter might save a lot of time and effort in the long run.

One of the main reasons I moved on from diving my BMR500 was that the rat's nest (7 IIRC) of Fischer cables introduced endless opportunities for mV leaks. I got **really** sick and tired of chasing them every other dive. Once one started making mV I could never get it to be long-term reliable again.

Good luck-

Ken

Optima, MK15

Don,

I think you're supposed to have a minimum of 4 independent sets of electronics, and 12 sensors in the revo. It may be more now, I haven't dove a revo in a while. This will eliminate the need for splitters.

When I had my revo I made a block based on the banna block the Kevin J designed (Optima). I put gold plated mini banana plugs on the electronics and made a harness for the sensors with tinned wire. I potted resistors inside the box so it was very robust. Solid connections and very flood resistant.

Cheers,
    Matt

IMG_0123.jpgIMG_0130.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast