+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drysuit adhesive tape

Bob Sweeney bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi's Avatar
    KISS Spirit LTE

KISS Classic

Drysuit adhesive tape

My 3 year old 4th Element Kevlar dry suit has leaks that primarily appear along the seams. 4th Element uses an adhesive tape along those seams on the inside of the suit but now the tape 'weeps' so I get minor leakage. I located some dry suit tape (1 inch wide) And applied that with a hot iron to the worse leaking locations. That slowed down the leakage in those areas (didn't totally stop it). I kept the original tape in place and ran the new tape down both sides of the original tape. However I also found that even though the tape glue appears to have bonded to the suit, at the end of the dive I have a lot of edges peeling up.
    I'm looking for recommendations for a good adhesive tape that I can use or technique changes that might help. My next plan if I can't get the tape to work is to start using thinned down AquaSeal along the seams but since that is permanent I want to leave that as a last resort (my last dry suit was mostly a AquaSeal shell after 8 years!)

RBW Member NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Re: Drysuit adhesive tape

Send the suit back. Everyone I know with that suit has had issues and had them repaired or replaced.

I had the same suit from Ursuit (who make the suits for FE) and had the same problem. They replaced that last October and, guess what?, the seams are leaking in the new one - never had a dry dive.

It's now back with them for all of the tape to be replaced.

RBW Member Deep-Texas-Diver is an unknown quantity at this point Deep-Texas-Diver's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz. PRISM 2, Evo

Re: Drysuit adhesive tape

The dry adhesive tape I have used requires a urethane base to adhere to. I use Aquaseal thinned with acetone to get a flat surface. After it cures I use the tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread