+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Honiara - Solomon Islands

RBW Member Gl1tchie is an unknown quantity at this point Gl1tchie's Avatar
    JJ

Honiara - Solomon Islands

Hi all,
    My partner and I are just starting to plan a trip to Honiara - Solomon Islands and I was wondering if anyone here has been and could share recent experiences?
    I am planning to dive with Tulagi Dive.
    I'm having a bit of trouble finding nice accommodation that doesn't cost too much. It seems there are quite a lot of bad reviews on Trip Advisor for most places. I am leaning more towards finding something on AirBnB.
    Has anyone stayed in Honiara recently? Did you find good accom?
    We are planning to go in November, apparently the start of the wet season, does this effect the diving at all?

Thanks heaps,
    Dan

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: Honiara - Solomon Islands

Quote Originally Posted by Gl1tchie  View Original Post
    Hi all,
    My partner and I are just starting to plan a trip to Honiara - Solomon Islands and I was wondering if anyone here has been and could share recent experiences?
    I am planning to dive with Tulagi Dive.
    I'm having a bit of trouble finding nice accommodation that doesn't cost too much. It seems there are quite a lot of bad reviews on Trip Advisor for most places. I am leaning more towards finding something on AirBnB.
    Has anyone stayed in Honiara recently? Did you find good accom?
    We are planning to go in November, apparently the start of the wet season, does this effect the diving at all?

Thanks heaps,
    Dan
    I'm going there next year with the Taka. They have full rebreather support including boosted O2, helium and rental rebreather tanks.
    What rebreather support will there be shoreside in Honiara?
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

JJ

Thanks Dave,
    I'll look that up.

Tulagi dive have complete rebreather support.

Mostly just looking for Accom advise now.

Cheers,
    Dan

RBW Member GrimSleeper is an unknown quantity at this point GrimSleeper's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

While the diving is fantastic, everything else about Honiara... Isn't. Unfortunately, your choice for accomodation is between expensive-and-fairly-crap, or less expensive but really nasty. I'd be amazed if you can find anything on AirBnB in what is, after all, one of the least developed places on Earth...

I lived in the Western Province for the best part of a decade, and made regular visits to the 'big city' in that time. From my experience, hotel options look like this:

Heritage Park - really expensive, quite nice, central
    Mendana - expensive, ok if you make sure you get one of the refurbished rooms, central
    King Solomon - expensive, OK on its day, but can be a bit random

Chester Rest House - reasonably cheap, really (REALLY) basic, run by monks, inconvenient location

Everything else - quite nasty

There's also the Raiders hotel at Tulagi, which is ok, but you're stuck at Tulagi

On the other hand, awesome diving, and Tulagi Dive (who are in Honiara, not Tulagi, go figure) will look after you. The Honiara but you just have to put up with...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

I was in Honiara last October. Tulagi Dive is (was) up for sale and it showed.

If you're not used to this part of the world, it could be quite a shock but as they say, Solomons/PNG/ et al prolly the best diving anywhere. Yep, there are daily power cuts. Internet is still supplied by string so forget daily skype calls to the Mrs. Just take her along and that should sort it. It is a very poor region of the world but the people are great - very friendly and love you to introduce yourself etc.

From what a colleague of mine told me, basing yourself in Honiara is not a great option (and I can confirm that from my trip last October) - he had a great time on a CCR-friendly liveaboard that was only spoiled by the couple of couple of diving days he spent in Honiara. Both he and I found (on separate trips 2 months apart) rebreather support was non-existent in Honiara (and actively discouraged). Hence, I did no CCR diving there at all.
    However, I did dive some iconic shore dives on wrecks B1, B2 etc and of course the famous I-1. Next time I go, I would probably do a liveaboard.
    There are some great resorts a bit further out from Honiara but of course, CCR support is even less unlikely further out

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Did a lot of diving off of Munda back in the '90's.

I will echo what a lot of divers have said here - best diving on the planet if you're into warm water, unbelievable viz, wrecks and WWII war equipment laying all over the place.

Ate lobster for dinner every night (cheaper than hamburger), drank SolBrew, listened to the 1 radio station they had, and just did amazing dives.

Made a film while I was there too: https://youtu.be/xjbmSuYiq7M

This was all OC (zero rebreather support back then) but I've always wanted to go back after shipping some Helium and Sorb ahead of time.

One day.

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.
    Last edited by heyydude; 21st July 2017 at 16:43.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    I'm going there next year with the Taka. They have full rebreather support including boosted O2, helium and rental rebreather tanks.
    What rebreather support will there be shoreside in Honiara?
    Hi Dave, are there any spots left on the Taka? Also, where are you flying from and if you don't mind my asking how much did you pay for your tickets? I would really like to go to the Solomons, if it's anywhere near as good as PNG and Indo I would be thrilled. Thanks, -Andy

RBW Member coolum210 is an unknown quantity at this point coolum210's Avatar

I lived in Honiara in mid-2014. A shore dive not to missed is of a B17E bomber. "Bessie: The Jap Basher" consists of the whole wing and fuselage to the trailing edge of the wing. I gave the landowner a 20minute Video to sell along with painted signage. His village is Ndomo. The shallow bay at the Japanese Submarine J-1 has a great collection of Anemone Fish as the Landowner was a collector. Try to rent an outrigger to take you to the J1 and save the long swim out, after the dive swim back into the bay. Both these dives incur a Custom Fee of around AUD$10 each. Cheers from KOT

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Hi everybody, FYI there are a few spots open on the Taka trip September 5-15. I just did a search on the airfare from the East coast of the US and it's not too bad, at least compared with Papua New Guinea flights. Apparently there are at least two other CCR Divers booked for the trip, and after speaking with one of the owners it seems we would be allowed to dive on our own schedule and profile, boat schedule permitting. They can get sore and 02, but it will have to be decanted no booster is available. I consider this to be a mild inconvenience, especially considering this will be recreational dives. They also have 40cuft BO tanks. If I can work out the details, I will probably dive in Honiara from the 1-5th, boarding on the 5th. Just putting it out there, the more CCR divers there are on board the better we will probably be accommodated, the more the merrier. Let me know if anyone is interested in joining me at the beginning of the trip, September 1-5, and possibly splitting a hotel room in Honiara. -Andy

JJ

Hi all,
    Thanks for the replies.
    I like this one
    Internet is still supplied by string so forget daily skype calls to the Mrs. Just take her along and that should sort it.
    Lucky for me she is 60m OC trained and coming with me.

I was advised in another forum to avoid SIDE which operate the Taka I believe? I could be wrong? Anyone else got any advise in that area?

If you're not used to this part of the world, it could be quite a shock but as they say, Solomons/PNG/ et al prolly the best diving anywhere. Yep, there are daily power cuts.
    This doesn't worry me tooooooo much. I have done a fair bit of diving on Gili Trawangan, which is like this all the time. But Gili T has accom for cheap and not too nasty. Seems Honiara is expensive and average/crap... Has anyone been to both Gili T and Honiara and can compare experiences?

- he had a great time on a CCR-friendly liveaboard
    Which Liveaboard?

Ate lobster for dinner every night (cheaper than hamburger), drank SolBrew, listened to the 1 radio station they had, and just did amazing dives.

Made a film while I was there too: https://youtu.be/xjbmSuYiq7M
    I saw your post from a few years ago while I was searching for info. Very cool.

So far it seems like taking my rebreather to Honiara and planning on 2 weeks of diving might be a big gamble.. Sounds like if its good it'll be amazing but if it doesn't go to plan it could be a massive waste of money and time and Annual Leave days... Maybe I'm better off booking a trip to Truk?

Thanks
    Dan