+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Loop drying

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Loop drying

Thanks to the idea from another RBW member, who I believe likes to remain incognito, it looks like I have a small, portable, and inexpensive means to dry the loop.

I've tried to upload pics with this initial post, but it balks. So they will be along shortly...

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Re: Loop drying

12V brushless computer blower. ~$16 for the "blower" and power source. Both fit easily into small case or mask case if I recall what friend was using.

Quiet, impressive amount of cool air for what I imagined!
    Attached Images

RBW Member NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Or you could just hang it up somewhere......

RBW Member Semaj is an unknown quantity at this point Semaj's Avatar
    rEvo III RMS

Yeah stretch and compress the loop hose together a couple of times and then hang up does the trick for me.

RBW Member decostanza is an unknown quantity at this point decostanza's Avatar
    rEvoIII Ti

Cool, you got them ordered...As I mentioned to you last week, they work a lot faster than merely hanging the loop. Mine dried a day after our dive and now down in Florida caves using them very successfully...and yep, the whole set fits perfectly in a mask case so its very easy to travel with.
    Last edited by decostanza; 23rd June 2017 at 12:13.

RBW Member Capt Morgan is an unknown quantity at this point Capt Morgan's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Does the one way valves not prevent the exhale hose from drying efficiently?

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Morgan  View Original Post
    Does the one way valves not prevent the exhale hose from drying efficiently?
    For years I have used a similar method. I use one DC fan attached to the inhale side of the loop. The fan has enough positive pressure to slightly lift the mushroom valves off their seats and one fan ventilates the whole loop.

Here is what I posted when I built my loop dryer:
    Dryer

In the response to that thread there was some speculation about damage to the mushroom valves, but that has not been my experience after many years of use.

I took the duct tape off long ago and put a rubber strain relief on the wires. The fan, the power supply and a wire hanger for the loop all fit in a small bag. I dry my loop with the fan at the end of every diving day.

I was concerned that my loop took a long time to really dry out, even after shaking and squeezing as much water out as possible. It was (and still is) my belief that a damp environment is good for growing unwanted DNA, so I think drying out the loop as fast as possible is a healthy thing to do.

Evolution+

Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by NickB  View Original Post
    Or you could just hang it up somewhere......
    Agree, but can't deny the advantage of quicker, yet controlled ventilation.

Evolution+

Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by decostanza  View Original Post
    Cool, you got them ordered...As I mentioned to you last week, they work a lot faster than merely hanging the loop. Mine dried a day after our dive and now down in Florida caves using them very successfully...and yep, the whole set fits perfectly in a mask case so its very easy to travel with.
    Thanks for sharing the idea!

Evolution+

Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by 4ster  View Original Post
    For years I have used a similar method. I use one DC fan attached to the inhale side of the loop. The fan has enough positive pressure to slightly lift the mushroom valves off their seats and one fan ventilates the whole loop.

Here is what I posted when I built my loop dryer:
    Dryer

In the response to that thread there was some speculation about damage to the mushroom valves, but that has not been my experience after many years of use.

I took the duct tape off long ago and put a rubber strain relief on the wires. The fan, the power supply and a wire hanger for the loop all fit in a small bag. I dry my loop with the fan at the end of every diving day.

I was concerned that my loop took a long time to really dry out, even after shaking and squeezing as much water out as possible. It was (and still is) my belief that a damp environment is good for growing unwanted DNA, so I think drying out the loop as fast as possible is a healthy thing to do.
    "...unwanted DNA". Comical and true!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast