+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Normoxic course

Normoxic course

Hi,
    I'm an open circuit diver and love reading posts on this forum. I know, I know I don't dive a rebreather but I thought I would post anyway.

I'm an IANTD Advanced Recreational Trimix diver. It qualifies to 42m on air/nitrox and 48m on trimix.

My next course will be normoxic which certifies to 60m on trimix through TDI or IANTD.
    IANTD has a normoxic plus certifying to 70m. I could take any of these courses. My question is do they certify to dive on air/Nitrox down to 50m and then trimix for anything deeper than 50m, or does it have to be trimix all the way down from 39m?
    Ideally I'd like to dive on air/nitrox down to 50m and trimix for deeper dives but not sure these certifications allow air/nitrox between 39m and 50m. Do you know?

Also, am I right to say I don't have the prerequisites for TEC 65 as I'm not TEC 50? I dive with 1 deco stage, not 2 with my certification and 2 stages to 50m seems to be a prerequisite for TEC 65. A bit weird as I could take the IANTD Normoxic plus course to 70m!

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Re: Normoxic course

Quote Originally Posted by shortbleu  View Original Post
    Hi,
    I'm an open circuit diver and love reading posts on this forum. I know, I know I don't dive a rebreather but I thought I would post anyway.

I'm an IANTD Advanced Recreational Trimix diver. It qualifies to 42m on air/nitrox and 48m on trimix.

My next course will be normoxic which certifies to 60m on trimix through TDI or IANTD.
    IANTD has a normoxic plus certifying to 70m. I could take any of these courses. My question is do they certify to dive on air/Nitrox down to 50m and then trimix for anything deeper than 50m, or does it have to be trimix all the way down from 39m?
    Ideally I'd like to dive on air/nitrox down to 50m and trimix for deeper dives but not sure these certifications allow air/nitrox between 39m and 50m. Do you know?

Also, am I right to say I don't have the prerequisites for TEC 65 as I'm not TEC 50? I dive with 1 deco stage, not 2 with my certification and 2 stages to 50m seems to be a prerequisite for TEC 65. A bit weird as I could take the IANTD Normoxic plus course to 70m!
    dive what ever gas you like , what,s all this allow bullsh6t,

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Gobfish1  View Original Post
    I agree with this post although I believe some agencies might be more specific about what gas you are "allowed" to dive for a given depth, IANTD and TDI do not fall in that category as long as you are certified to a certain depth and gas, what you do in between is your business.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

I know PSAI do 60m extended air course. Dont think anyone else do (?)

RBW Member ECho is an unknown quantity at this point ECho's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

Meg

TDI's Exrended Range Diver course certifies to 55 meters on air....

https://www.tdisdi.com/tdi/get-certi...d-range-diver/

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by shortbleu  View Original Post
    Hi,

Assuming you are a competent diver do the minimum certs to access the mixtures you want to dive, if you chose to use travel gas no one can stop you.

Bear in mind 15+years ago there was Nitrox, Adv Nitrox (using a deco stage) then full fat Trimix with all the trimmings, 3 courses separating you from basic diving qualification and as deep as you like... al the extra guff the agencies have shoehorned in is just profiteering, there is no more or better content (sadly) You used to be able to take Tech Nitrox as it was called and Full Trimix on the same course, essentially going from a Basic Nitrox diver to being able to buy O2 and PUre Helium and do what you like.

I have never seen anyone try to stop anyone from diving and ask what mix they had- its beyond the skippers remit and if your club/shop try to stop you diving safely/properly just to profit move to somewhere with brains.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    I agree with this post although I believe some agencies might be more specific about what gas you are "allowed" to dive for a given depth, IANTD and TDI do not fall in that category as long as you are certified to a certain depth and gas, what you do in between is your business.
    My 1993 IANTD card,s have no depth limit ,
    just says im quailfied to use mix gas

iv 5 cards from them, None have a depth limit / deco limit or say what gas i must use , END PPO2 all left to the user ,

2005 mod 1 tdi says some bollox , but i seem to be able to to do 3hr 90m dives no problems

worlds gone fooking mad , happy im comming to the end of my diving life and not just starting out ,
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 18th June 2017 at 13:39.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
    Glad to know I will be able to dive on air to 50m if I choose to do so when I become Normoxic certified. This means a TEC 50 course would be of very little use. My next course will be normoxic, giving a max depth of 60+m on trimix.

The Normoxic courses I could take are IANTD or TDI (60m), IANTD Normoxic "plus" (70m), TEC 65 (65m, well not sure I can take this one...)

is there any knowledge added in the TEC 65 and IANTD Normoxic "plus" compared to the 60m versions of the courses? I'm guessing the extra 5 to 10m depth require extra skills? Also a minimum of 18% oxygen in the bottom gas and a PPO2 of 1.4 give a max depth of 68m , so the Normoxic "plus" course seems to stretch the limits a little. To get to 70m a diver would need to use slighlty less than 18% o2 and PP02 of 1.4 or use 18% and increase the PPo2 a little.

My qualification: IANTD adv rec trimix is a fine prerequesite for TDI normoxic , IANTD normoxic and IANTD mormoxic plus. Not sure this is a good prerequisite for TEC 65 though, it seems they require TEC 50 or a certification allowing the use of 2 stages. I use only one stage. Any idea if I could take the TEC 65 course?

Thank you.

RBW Member damianb is an unknown quantity at this point damianb's Avatar
    JJ CCR

IANTD ART limits are only deco time (from memory max 15 mins) and PO2 for gas switch depth, again from memory I believe it's set at 1.5 rather than 1.6 like most other agencies.
    I'm not sure why you did ART if you plan on diving to 50M on nitrox which at that depth is basically air. IANTD do a 'technical diver' course which teaches you to dive to 50M.. on 'nitrox' / air.
    Why not just do the IANTD Normoxic course, get a few dives in at that range then perhaps bolt on a few days for the Normoxic plus, if your goal is to dive deeper than 60M but max 70M. But if that is your plan make it easier for yourself and buy a rebreather. That's what I did :)

RBW Member topper133 is an unknown quantity at this point topper133's Avatar
    XCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Gobfish1  View Original Post
    While I agree with this, and the majority of the comments, it's not just about agency rules, my life insurance is valid providing I am diving within my certification limits, so need to be careful about what agency specs are (i.e. 39m+ = trimix or whatever).

I can dive to 65m, but can I dive it on air? Hmmmm, grey area if you ask me and insurance companies look for any chance to get out of paying up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast