+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Excellent Megalodon training with Georges Gawinowski

RBW Member RedDucati will become famous soon enough RedDucati will become famous soon enough RedDucati will become famous soon enough RedDucati will become famous soon enough RedDucati's Avatar

Thumbs up Excellent Megalodon training with Georges Gawinowski

Well, I finally got certified last weekend. I went out to Miami Friday 8/21 after work and finished last Saturday. I didn't get to the hotel until 2:00 in the morning but had no trouble getting up for instruction the next day at 8:30 since I have wanted to do this for a long time. The first day we did the recreational trimix lectures and started CCR lectures and put the unit together on Sunday. Monday there were thunderstorms so we could only do about 20 minutes in the pool bottom time then went back to the office for lectures because of lightning. Tuesday we went back to the pool and did about 3.5 hours. During the pool time I found out how well the Megalodon recovers from floods. That is one of the reasons I got it but to see it in person was reassuring. I left the DSV open at the surface and water came in. We drained the lung and continued with drills. A more experienced diver could have drained that lung without surfacing. A different rebreather would have been done for the day. We practiced buoyancy, flushes, taking the mask off then clearing, bailing out (without BOV) maintaining set point and venting out the mouth. Buoyancy is difficult with wings and the lungs to manage. The next day we took a rec boat out to the reef and did 2 dives, one at 45ft and the other at 30ft. We worked out my RMV for bailout calculations and did lots and lots and lots of drills. The secenery on rec boats is so much better than tech boats, most of those ladies don't have wetsuits... Anyway, Thursday we went out to the Ancient Mariner wreck at 70 ft with 50 min bottom time. There were hundreds of fish in the wreck! After the surface interval we did another drift dive on the reef. The reef dives were challenging because we would do about 30 minutes at the bottom with constant emergencies and then ascending in 10 ft increments and staying at each level for 5 minutes or so with about 30 minutes ascending. I think the shallow reef dives were some of the most beneficial and challenging because ascending is high task loading and difficult, especially with a mCCR. On 8/28, we dived the Captain Dan at 110 ft with 21/25 for 50 minutes total run time. The dive boat was the Avid Diver which is a great tech boat FYI if you are in the Miami area. The captain has a Megalodon also. Current was pretty stiff on the way down and on the current side of the wreck it was kind of like one of those lap pools where you swim and swim without going anywhere. I like a challenge and it was fun. Swimming against the current I had to keep my breathing slow and steady, but the Megalodon was awesome. No problem there. Going up, we had some deco to do while drifting. An OC pair had come along for this dive and it was cool to see the difference in deco. Georges and I went to the bottom while they were still gearing up. They started deco about 10 minutes before us and we still got back on the boat first, even with conservative GF and a 1.2 sp the whole time. On deco I was running into everyone on the upline, but they understood why. For the 2nd dive we did another shallow reef for 55 min with lots of bottom emergencies and ascending in stages without a line. The last day we dived Rodeo 25 with 20/35 mix for 55 min. George had me lead the dive and decide turn time to go back to up line and navigate back to line. Lots of emergency drills of course and then drifting deco. I did better keeping level depth this time. So many things to watch on the way up. For our last dive we did a reef at 60 ft for 61 min. I ran the reel attached to our flag in addition to the other stuff (there were frequent entanglements). So, now I have about 10 hours run time and I can't wait to get back in the water. I did a lot of research on rebreathers and got references on instructors before getting in the water. Now that I've been certified CCR I will never go back to OC and would never dive anything but Megalodon. Georges teaches cave and wreck also up to the expedition level and I recommend him 100%.
    If you want to add to your rebreather skills give Georges a call. Warm, clear Florida water is a great place to train. --Tyler

Georges Gawinowski
    WDTDIVE FLORIDA SCUBA DIVING
    954-292-2901
    Last edited by RedDucati; 1st September 2009 at 04:31.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Re: Excellent Megalodon training with Georges Gawinowski

Quote Originally Posted by RedDucati  View Original Post
    Well, I finally got certified last weekend. I went out to Miami Friday 8/21 after work and finished last Saturday. I didn't get to the hotel until 2:00 in the morning but had no trouble getting up for instruction the next day at 8:30 since I have wanted to do this for a long time. The first day we did the recreational trimix lectures and started CCR lectures and put the unit together on Sunday. Monday there were thunderstorms so we could only do about 20 minutes in the pool bottom time then went back to the office for lectures because of lightning. Tuesday we went back to the pool and did about 3.5 hours. During the pool time I found out how well the Megalodon recovers from floods. That is one of the reasons I got it but to see it in person was reassuring. I left the DSV open at the surface and water came in. We drained the lung and continued with drills. A more experienced diver could have drained that lung without surfacing. A different rebreather would have been done for the day. We practiced buoyancy, flushes, taking the mask off then clearing, bailing out (without BOV) maintaining set point and venting out the mouth. Buoyancy is difficult with wings and the lungs to manage. The next day we took a rec boat out to the reef and did 2 dives, one at 45ft and the other at 30ft. We worked out my RMV for bailout calculations and did lots and lots and lots of drills. The secenery on rec boats is so much better than tech boats, most of those ladies don't have wetsuits... Anyway, Thursday we went out to the Ancient Mariner wreck at 70 ft with 50 min bottom time. There were hundreds of fish in the wreck! After the surface interval we did another drift dive on the reef. The reef dives were challenging because we would do about 30 minutes at the bottom with constant emergencies and then ascending in 10 ft increments and staying at each level for 5 minutes or so with about 30 minutes ascending. I think the shallow reef dives were some of the most beneficial and challenging because ascending is high task loading and difficult, especially with a mCCR. On 8/28, we dived the Captain Dan at 110 ft with 21/25 for 50 minutes total run time. The dive boat was the Avid Diver which is a great tech boat FYI if you are in the Miami area. The captain has a Megalodon also. Current was pretty stiff on the way down and on the current side of the wreck it was kind of like one of those lap pools where you swim and swim without going anywhere. I like a challenge and it was fun. Swimming against the current I had to keep my breathing slow and steady, but the Megalodon was awesome. No problem there. Going up, we had some deco to do while drifting. An OC pair had come along for this dive and it was cool to see the difference in deco. Georges and I went to the bottom while they were still gearing up. They started deco about 10 minutes before us and we still got back on the boat first, even with conservative GF and a 1.2 sp the whole time. On deco I was running into everyone on the upline, but they understood why. For the 2nd dive we did another shallow reef for 55 min with lots of bottom emergencies and ascending in stages without a line. The last day we dived Rodeo 25 with 20/35 mix for 55 min. George had me lead the dive and decide turn time to go back to up line and navigate back to line. Lots of emergency drills of course and then drifting deco. I did better keeping level depth this time. So many things to watch on the way up. For our last dive we did a reef at 60 ft for 61 min. I ran the reel attached to our flag in addition to the other stuff (there were frequent entanglements). So, now I have about 10 hours run time and I can't wait to get back in the water. I did a lot of research on rebreathers and got references on instructors before getting in the water. Now that I've been certified CCR I will never go back to OC and would never dive anything but Megalodon. Georges teaches cave and wreck also up to the expedition level and I recommend him 100%.
    If you want to add to your rebreather skills give Georges a call. Warm, clear Florida water is a great place to train. --Tyler

Georges Gawinowski
    WDTDIVE FLORIDA SCUBA DIVING
    954-292-2901
    You should have let us know you were in the area, we would have at least met for dinner and drinks...

Georges is a taskmaster.... I took Normoxic from him... :) and recommend him highly...

Silent Lucidity mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver's Avatar
    Megalodon

Congratulations, we know you've been wanting this for awhile,
    thanks for the write up, and much success with your new meg, so it is
    official welcome to the dark side!

RBW Member Georges Gawinowski has a spectacular aura about Georges Gawinowski has a spectacular aura about Georges Gawinowski has a spectacular aura about Georges Gawinowski has a spectacular aura about Georges Gawinowski has a spectacular aura about Georges Gawinowski's Avatar
    Megalodon

Azimuth,Optima,Evo,Insp.

Yep, it was a good training. I was happy to do it.
    Hope to dive with you again guys in the future

Head Dishwasher
    Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey's Avatar
    Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +

Georges is top notch....
    Monkey Diver Inc.
    Monkey Diver Travel Inc.
    http://www.monkeydiver.com

RBW Member Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe's Avatar
    Megaladon

Having watched him teach I'll second that ....

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey  View Original Post
    Georges is top notch....

RBW Member rohan will become famous soon enough rohan will become famous soon enough rohan will become famous soon enough rohan's Avatar

That is what we need. Pump the good instructors!!! Great to see your happy and the instructor is happy!!!

Cheers,
    Rohan
    Last edited by rohan; 17th November 2009 at 21:14.

RBW Member Georges Gawinowski has a spectacular aura about Georges Gawinowski has a spectacular aura about Georges Gawinowski has a spectacular aura about Georges Gawinowski has a spectacular aura about Georges Gawinowski has a spectacular aura about Georges Gawinowski's Avatar
    Megalodon

Azimuth,Optima,Evo,Insp.

It is also important to thank good students.

"When the student is ready the Master appears"
    An Instructor can do a good job only when the student is ready to learn.

I would like to thank Min-Ho-Lee, a new certified IANTD Megalodon diver in Korea. After 8 days, 8 dives and close to 600 in-water minutes Min-Ho has earned and sweated his certification :)

Welcome Min-Ho to CCR Diver World with a great CCR unit. Congratulations!

Safe CCR dives to you guys.

RBW Member shagyluke is on a distinguished road shagyluke is on a distinguished road shagyluke's Avatar
    Meg Copis

Georges is a great Instructor. I learned alot from him.
    Attached Images

Megalodon

Azimuth,Optima,Evo,Insp.

Thank you,
    Nice Picture of Megalodon divers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast