+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hollis Discontinuing Rebreathers?

Instructor dauntless_divers is an unknown quantity at this point dauntless_divers's Avatar
    Triton, Revo, Prism2, LAR V

Hollis Discontinuing Rebreathers?

I heard a rumor today from a distributor that Hollis will be discontinuing the Prism following their buyout. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers,
    Matt

RBW Member hamishmorrison is an unknown quantity at this point hamishmorrison's Avatar
    JJ DiveCAN

Re: Hollis Discontinuing Rebreathers?

Snipped from the Huish Outdoors site:

Q: Will all the current Oceanic/Hollis products still be available?

A: Yes. However, Huish Outdoors will not be taking new orders for rebreathers at this time. If you have any questions about NEW orders for rebreathers, please send your inquiry to info@hollisrebreathers.com.

Hopefully just a temporary situation but not really clear what their intention is from this statement.

RBW Member Pat O'Brien is an unknown quantity at this point Pat O'Brien's Avatar
    Hollis Prism2

This is disappointing to hear, and I thought I was making a sound choice in buying an American product.

RBW Member jeffgerritsen is an unknown quantity at this point jeffgerritsen's Avatar
    Megalodon

Optima

Hard to say what is going on. Huish maybe re-evaluating it's position in the rebreather market or leery of possible liability exposure from rebreathers.

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

There are plenty of corporate ways around this stuff. Spun off seperate division.

Face it, they make all kinds of scuba gear. The lawers are circling all of it, not just the rebreather division.

Although this information does make me think twice as I am shopping.

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Maybe they are finally learning some of the first rules of business:

If it isn't better than a JJ, Liberty, XCCR don't bother making it.
    If you insist on making it anyway, it has to be a hell of a lot cheaper.

You should also offer your instructors a money back guarantee that if the unit is no longer being made 3 years after they became certified to teach on it, they will get a 100% refund of the costs incurred in becoming an instructor for that unit.

Michael

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    Maybe they are finally learning some of the first rules of business:

If it isn't better than a JJ, Liberty, XCCR don't bother making it.
    If you insist on making it anyway, it has to be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Michael
    Probably...

Far too many direvative, copied units in a small market, fashion has dictated BMCL, fringe popularity units will always go first- same as non-SCUBA markets.

I also think the Recreational CCR bubble has burst- training agencies have realised the bubble never existed and most people who would want CCR now have one and the early period of swapping to find the "right" one will be slowing... the whole market needs to be aware of this. We're 20yrs into CCR for the public, they've been lucky the boom has lasted this long.

Personally I also think the public are sick of the profiteering the training agencies promote- £500 course for an extra 10mtrs cert and use of another gas mixture royally takes the piss.

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Hi Ben, gotta agree with you regarding the proliferation of diving courses. Back when I did cave there was no extra certification to take stages along, use a scooter in a cave, nor was there any trimix certification other a depth unlimited trimix.
    I would also get upset if learning how to do helicopter turns in both directions now required 2 courses.

Michael

Instructor dauntless_divers is an unknown quantity at this point dauntless_divers's Avatar
    Triton, Revo, Prism2, LAR V

I apologize for starting a thread based on a rumor. I had only heard this rumor through several distributors that do not have any real knowledge of whats going on at AUP. It was however concerning enough to reach out to you guys to see if there was any further info.

I was attempting to be proactive and accumulate service kits right now in order to extend the life of my units in the even they did discontinue manufacturing the P2. While doing this I found myself corresponding with Eric from ezscuba.com out of Tampa (who is incredibly helpful and responsive btw). Below was his response to my concern and while it would still be nice to get a definitive answer from AUP themselves, this conversation has more or less set my mind at ease. I hope that it does for the rest of you who may have been concerned.

Cheers,
    Matt

"Matt, there is no way they will discontinue the P2. I have been doing testing for the P2 and the Explorer for a couple years, I have many contacts inside the core group of engineers and developers. There were a few that left Hollis at the transition and are still working on parts for the P2. A few months ago I got word that the rebreather group had to shut down for a few days to do inventory, this was separate to the rest of Hollis. Later, word came from the inside that Hollis and Oceanic were going to be acquired but the rebreather division was not yet decided. It was not until a couple weeks ago that it was determined that the rebreathers would follow the rest of AUP (Hollis/Oceanic). At this point the remaining inventory is being transferred to Utah (unbelievable that it would do so) and items have been put back into production."

Dive Junkie Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver's Avatar
    Inspo w/Deep Pursuit head:)

Is this just conjecture or has someone actually confirmed that Hollis is spinning this off?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast