+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: All about the compromises

Photographer & Journalist John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini Hybrid

Re: All about the compromises

What is worse than finding a family of cockroaches crawling round your breathing loop before a dive?
    - finding a family of cockroaches crawling round your breathing loop after a dive.

(its an old one, but just in case you have not heard it before)

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by paulraymaekers  View Original Post
    nice picture!

...but the slug is not in the counterlung, but outside of the loop, under the counterlung.
    (so not related to keep the loop closed or not during the night)

I cannot yet see how it got into that place
    Good eye Paul. I completely missed that myself.

All of the case opening are small and only allow extremely small bits to enter. I have personally had a couple of times when bits of rock and/or sand got in and trapped until a leak developed, but something as big as that slug seems difficult as hell.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

The OP here. Keep checking back in. Appreciate those who are trying to keep this on track.

The one thing I have noticed is no one is stating anything is really that much different than anything else. Mostly just personal preference. I know there is no one perfect solution, hence the reason there are options out there. But I am seeing the different options as a much smaller factor than I was thinking they would be.

Yes, shopping for a first. Probably way over-analyzing it. I have dove a few, already making plans for several more. I hope to try about half a dozen by the end of the year and try to pick one. The local scene is a little thin and very diverse, so the dive what the locals dive isn't my answer.

So I am not seeing cut and dry answers that I thought I would find, I am still getting benefit of this discussion (so long as it stays on track).

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Like the OP just stated, almost everything about the variances in RB design in all the mainstream units today is almost entirely a matter of personal preference. With that in mind I will list some of mine and the reasoning.

1 - Shearwater electronics. They are unbeatable in both quality and customer service. They have a long track record of reliability. They are easy to see with old eyes. The user interface is natural and intuitive, meaning a manual is almost unnecessary.

2 - Back mounted counter lungs. I like the clean chest with less to drag and catch during tight maneuvers.

3 - 2 loop hoses. I have learned that I really do not like anything with T-pieces as this causes a reduction in head movement and adds a lot of complexity to building and tear down of the units. More o-ring and thus more failure points.

4 - Hybrid unit. I like to run my unit manually as this keeps me more in tune with my environment, loop volume, and po2. Having the abilty to instantly go to ECCR if I get task loaded or get stupid and let the po2 drop is nice too.

5 - Needle valve. I can run manually without any of those pesky depth limits of a leaky valve. Easily adjustable during to dive as my workload changes.

6 - Can type verse case type. After having my Defunker, I have found that the abilty to have things such as my drysuit tank and lift bag on the backplate is nice since it does not add to my profile like it did with my rEvo. It is much more versatile and there is no limit to tank size that can be used.

7 - Controller and batteries in the handset. Or at least external from the head. I just am not a fan of having the batteries in the head where things could get into my loop. The controller in the head means no diving if it needs to go in for repair.

8 - Size and weight. I want it to be carry-on legal for travel.

9 - No BOV. After finally having one, I have decided that it is not for me. more drag when scootering or fighting flow. restricts head movement due to added feed hose. difficult to maintain a breathable gas at all times in a manner that is completely foolproof (actually, it is impossible unless you are shallow all the time). Added complexity for too minimal value.

10 - Ability to purchase and and ALL repair parts for DIY repairs. I understand that some of the proprietary boards in computers are not going to be available to the end user, everything else should be. This particularly includes counter lungs for units like the rEvo that utilize a case.

Many people will feel different on my views and that is OK. I can not force everyone to be right.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

RBW Member Semaj is an unknown quantity at this point Semaj's Avatar
    rEvo III RMS

" I have personally had a couple of times when bits of rock and/or sand got in and trapped until a leak developed, but something as big as that slug seems difficult as hell. "

I had this issue recently with my rEvo where I had quite a bit of debris down inside the lung case. I was always a little uneasy about opening up the case but had to this time to wash out that debris to prevent it damaging the lungs. I found opening up the case a pretty simple process.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

While I like the free chest of back mounted counterlungs, I dont like chipmunk cheeks, or poor flood recovery.

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    While I like the free chest of back mounted counterlungs, I dont like chipmunk cheeks, or poor flood recovery.
    Not all have poor recovery. The Defunker, Titan, and SF2 recover from a flood extremely well. The rEvo on the other hand is basically screwed in this department. all depends on the design of the various units.

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

All about the compromises

Wrong button

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBW Member Semaj is an unknown quantity at this point Semaj's Avatar
    rEvo III RMS

"I don't like chipmunk cheeks, or poor flood recovery. "

Can't say I have ever experienced chipmunk cheeks with my rEvo, don't see flood recovery as an issue.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    JJ style BMCL here, never had hamster cheeks, not yet flooded it in 15years... none issue- use bailout

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast