+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SOCOM looking for new dive technology

RBW Member haaginheimer is an unknown quantity at this point haaginheimer's Avatar
    KISS GEM (modified)

Dolphin, Prism 2, Poseidon

SOCOM looking for new dive technology

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Re: SOCOM looking for new dive technology

Quote Originally Posted by haaginheimer  View Original Post
    This kind of story comes out every year... the usual suspects jump in on this and rebrand some consumer BS dive gear in matte black or OD; Scubapro, Agualung... and then there are those tiny start-ups who suffer the "Costco" model. That is, they get a small Gubment contract, have to ramp up production and staffing per the contract, only to be told sorry, we're going in a different direction now. I've lost track of how many consumer companies have tried to play this game only to lose everything, sad really. Some are here on RBW past and present.

What most of these executives seem to miss is the fact that without some cutting edge technology that CAN'T be copied (KEY IDEA HERE) your product will get knocked-off and sold cheaper, there are no friends in government contracts, it's literally sink or swim without a swimbuddy, that is until you land the big one and then instantly you have all these subcontractor friends you never knew you had.

And then there's REI... most guys I know get their personal supplies there, including boots! Who wants to wear GI crap on a 25 mile hump in the desert? Just look at the MOLLE system and how many revisions that has gone through in the past few years. And now you can buy all that crap on the fleabay... add DEVGRU, SOCOM, SEAL, TIER ONE, whatever sounds SOF to the title and you can sell it as "Uber-Rare" and retire.
    Please... whataloadofhorseshit
    Last edited by whynot?; 23rd May 2017 at 21:48.

RBW Member JohnnyC is an unknown quantity at this point JohnnyC's Avatar

Every year SOFIC has the latest and greatest, and every year there are reasons why the latest and greatest won't work the way they need it to.

Not to say there truly aren't innovations in the industry that are applicable, but by and large, the new stuff is more complicated, harder to produce, harder to produce efficiently or in volume, and generally not enough of an improvement over the current systems to justify going through all of the motions.

A perfect example is the M4 replacement. Guess what, a couple modifications to the bog standard M4 and the perceived benefits of the fancy new whizbang SCAR program went out the window. It's not just about the widget, it's about cost, logistics, durability, ease of use, ease of adaptation, ease of new training integration, and a million other things.

SEALs aren't just slapping on a pair of jet boots and hitting the go-fast button, they're still using double hose regs to become familiar with a breathing loop before they hop on to a LAR-V. Just the evaluation phase of bringing a new technology to the department of defense takes years and a boat load of money, and despite how easy it sounds, COTS usually isn't.

RBW Member old7up is an unknown quantity at this point old7up's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    This kind of story comes out every year... the usual suspects jump in on this and rebrand some consumer BS dive gear in matte black or OD; Scubapro, Agualung... and then there are those tiny start-ups who suffer the "Costco" model. That is, they get a small Gubment contract, have to ramp up production and staffing per the contract, only to be told sorry, we're going in a different direction now. I've lost track of how many consumer companies have tried to play this game only to lose everything, sad really. Some are here on RBW past and present.

What most of these executives seem to miss is the fact that without some cutting edge technology that CAN'T be copied (KEY IDEA HERE) your product will get knocked-off and sold cheaper, there are no friends in government contracts, it's literally sink or swim without a swimbuddy, that is until you land the big one and then instantly you have all these subcontractor friends you never knew you had.

And then there's REI... most guys I know get their personal supplies there, including boots! Who wants to wear GI crap on a 25 mile hump in the desert? Just look at the MOLLE system and how many revisions that has gone through in the past few years. And now you can buy all that crap on the fleabay... add DEVGRU, SOCOM, SEAL, TIER ONE, whatever sounds SOF to the title and you can sell it as "Uber-Rare" and retire.
    Please... whataloadofhorseshit
    Does this mean my Navy SEAL AOR2 BDU pants don't cost $500.00 LOL

RBW Member cocazoulou is an unknown quantity at this point cocazoulou's Avatar
    Dräger LAR-V mod 2

Quote Originally Posted by old7up  View Original Post
    The retail price is under 500 for a crye or patagonia combat set ...

500 is the Ebay price for reenactor like me ^^ ...

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by old7up  View Original Post
    Yeah... pretty much. I think a guy in Virginia found a box which he said fell off a truck and had them for sale on fleabay. Something about Team Six, they've seen combat, you can't buy these... on and on. Total douche.

+ Reply to Thread