+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Improving inspiration diveability

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Re: Improving inspiration diveability

Quote Originally Posted by Wol  View Original Post
    Ben - do you have a picture of how you mount your cylinders. I currently clip mine to a hip d ring with the half way up the cylinder and use a bungee attached to the back of the
    centre (underneath) the back plate which is piston clipped to the dring on the front mounted counter lung. When donning I preclip the side ring to the cylinder on the bench, get in the unit and then just pull the bungee around the cylinder valve and reg. ( very easy to mount and seems to dive okay.- be interested to see what you do and whether I can improve on this.
    I use an Armdillo style side mount butt pad for the lower clip and just bungee for the top- no clips at all. I find this works great but it took a while to suss out the lower clip position, you have to get it in the correct position around the tank in relation to the valve tap such that once you loop the bungee on it "winds" the tank up your side and under your armpit.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

One of the first things I did was ditch my AP harness and wing for the gear I was used to on the twinset.

A while ago I went back to the AP wing because my twinset BCD was ridiculously oversized.

Only recently, a few years down the road, I put the AP harness back on. The "comfort pad" left me nearly unable to walk out after a 90 minute dive due to the angle and pressure in exactly the wrong place on my back. Removing that pad improved things enormously. I'm still getting used to all the f*** plastic buckles and straps and crap hanging off it but I have to say I much prefer the way it sits on my back in their harness than on my old one.

Time will tell whether I want to go back to the Express Tec, maybe adding some breaks in the shoulder straps, or stick with the AP one.

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

Originally back in 2006 I started by diving a stock 2002 inspiration. It seemed okay - but I ended up getting a DT box and use a dive rite wing plus steelbackplate.

Having recently looked at the small changes that AP have made to the stock inspiration over the years e.g. - smaller case - trim weights along the sides vs on top, BMCLs and neater harness - I wonder how much better the straight out of the box set up is now over what it used to be. Everyone seems to rave about the jjccr being great out of the box - wonder how close the latest I inspo is to that now.

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

I had similar issues with my dt box - it was due to the backplate not being long enough
    . Fixed it by extending the backplate lower (ironically I used the inspo pad to do this by strapping to the bottom of the box and effectively adding lumbar support to my unit)- made a big difference..

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    One of the first things I did was ditch my AP harness and wing for the gear I was used to on the twinset.

A while ago I went back to the AP wing because my twinset BCD was ridiculously oversized.

Only recently, a few years down the road, I put the AP harness back on. The "comfort pad" left me nearly unable to walk out after a 90 minute dive due to the angle and pressure in exactly the wrong place on my back. Removing that pad improved things enormously. I'm still getting used to all the f*** plastic buckles and straps and crap hanging off it but I have to say I much prefer the way it sits on my back in their harness than on my old one.

Time will tell whether I want to go back to the Express Tec, maybe adding some breaks in the shoulder straps, or stick with the AP one.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

I'll admit I was thinking the rEvo's chopping board would have been welcome on that dive. Still, without the pad attached and with the AP harness holding it snug, I'm finding I hardly notice it's there. The Zeagle harness and 'plate' was great for keeping bulk down and keeping it simple but it was always a bear to get in and out of, and the unit did tend to slop around a fair bit on my back, and the D-rings were always a PITA to find behind the lungs.

Apart from the clutter and large quantities of plastic, the AP is pretty comfy now so I'll give it a while to see if I get used to its downsides before going back to the plate.

Ben - looking at using bungie in the way you described - not thought about the way it rolls the cylinder - with the way you configure your side mount are you able to clip it all in sat on the dive bench or do you need to stand up to fully clip in?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    I use an Armdillo style side mount butt pad for the lower clip and just bungee for the top- no clips at all. I find this works great but it took a while to suss out the lower clip position, you have to get it in the correct position around the tank in relation to the valve tap such that once you loop the bungee on it "winds" the tank up your side and under your armpit.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Wol  View Original Post
    Ben - looking at using bungie in the way you described - not thought about the way it rolls the cylinder - with the way you configure your side mount are you able to clip it all in sat on the dive bench or do you need to stand up to fully clip in?
    Small tanks yes, above a 7 normally do it as I stand or clip it off to chest and move it during 6mtr bubble check, I strongly believe kit should be optimised for diving and underwater even if its abit of a pain on the deck.

The amount of room (or lack of) on the typical dive boat bench is usually more of a problem than how I carry bailouts

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    ... all the f*** plastic buckles and straps and crap hanging off it...
    Agreed! When I started cutting/removing, it seemed like there was no end in sight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2