+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CCR Training and GI Bill

RBW Member the goat is an unknown quantity at this point the goat's Avatar

CCR Training and GI Bill

Hey everyone, was wondering if anyone had a line on where to go to use their GI Bill and get CCR training. Looking to do this relatively soon, if possible. Thanks in advance.

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Re: CCR Training and GI Bill

Thank you for your service.

I am not a veteran so am not versed in the GI Bill, but I thought that it was for education that will lead to a career opportunity, post military service.

I don't see how CCR training per se fits that criterion. CCR training as part of a commercial diving training program probably would. But most of that coursework would not be about CCR.

If I am wrong about this, I will learn something from this thread.

Only somewhat related; watch out for scams. I know of one company that offered commercial helicopter training using the GI bill. At one time I thought learning to fly a helicopter was a good idea, so I visited one of their schools at my local airport. I was puzzled when they became uninterested in me after they learned that I was only seeking a private certification. Later, the company made the news when it was determined that they were operating a "diploma mill", using GI Bill funding; there were practically no jobs available for the students. The company was just mining the US Treasury.

RBW Member the goat is an unknown quantity at this point the goat's Avatar

So partially correct. It has to be an instructor level certification for the GI Bill to be used. Also, there is Vocational Rehab and Employment tht can be used, some different rules but I will not get into that.

There isn't a requirement that a job needs to actually exist and be waiting for you, right then and there.

I know a few places exist that are scams, but this community is fairly small, with a bit of asking around we can avoid enough of that.

Thanks

RBW Member mikecjones is an unknown quantity at this point mikecjones's Avatar
    Se7en

Hawaii Scuba University (https://www.hawaiiscubauniversity.com/ ) provides a full range of programs from Open Water up through CCR Tec 100 rebreather instructor. Many of the programs leading to professional certifications, such as Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) and TEC40 CCR Instructor, are VA approved and include all the needed gear.

Specific information about the VA-approved TEC40 Rebreather Instructor program is available here: https://www.hawaiiscubauniversity.co...aining-hawaii/

I am one of the CCR instructors at Hawaii Scuba University, and the lead for the Poseidon side of things. Please feel free to ask me any questions about the CCR courses. I am not up to speed on the administrative side including the rules on the VA programs. Those questions can be answered by email at registrar@hawaiiscubauniversity.com or by phone at 808-947-6583.

Mahalo,
    Mike

Phillip Clark philbadar is an unknown quantity at this point philbadar's Avatar
    Poseidon Seven

Quote Originally Posted by the goat  View Original Post
    Hey everyone, was wondering if anyone had a line on where to go to use their GI Bill and get CCR training. Looking to do this relatively soon, if possible. Thanks in advance.

Hi. I am CCR diver who is currently enrolled in Hawaii Scuba University (HSU) and I am using my G I Bill privilege to become a PADI certified CCR instructor. The program is about 12 weeks long and with course instruction from seasoned instructors. The CCR courses currently offered are in Poseidon Seven and Hollis Prizm rebreather units. The best part of the program is you get to dive your unit and log the required diving hours and gain valuable experience. My instructor is Mike Jones and he knows the Poseidon Seven very well. The diving environment in Hawaii is amazing and I fortunately dive with the best rebreather-diver friendly charters on island which are Honolulu Scuba Company and Island Divers. Good luck in your quest!

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by philbadar  View Original Post
    Hi. I am CCR diver who is currently enrolled in Hawaii Scuba University (HSU) and I am using my G I Bill privilege to become a PADI certified CCR instructor. The program is about 12 weeks long and with course instruction from seasoned instructors. The CCR courses currently offered are in Poseidon Seven and Hollis Prizm rebreather units. The best part of the program is you get to dive your unit and log the required diving hours and gain valuable experience. My instructor is Mike Jones and he knows the Poseidon Seven very well. The diving environment in Hawaii is amazing and I fortunately dive with the best rebreather-diver friendly charters on island which are Honolulu Scuba Company and Island Divers. Good luck in your quest!
    I am curious how someone becomes a CCR instructor in 12 weeks. The Hollis standard and most other CCR manufacturers that I know of require one year CCR experience with a minimum 100hrs on the unit.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member mikecjones is an unknown quantity at this point mikecjones's Avatar
    Se7en

Dave,
    I am not familiar with Hollis' rules, but I have asked our lead Hollis instructor to take a look at this. I am the lead Poseidon instructor here and will respond from the Poseidon perspective.
    Neither Poseidon nor PADI have a requirement for 1 year of experience. They do have the requirement for 100 dives and 100 hours on the unit. The students in this program come to us as MSDTs who are certified to teach the PADI deep and nitrox specialty at a minimum. We spend the first 2 weeks getting them certified as TEC40 CCR divers. They then spend the next 8 weeks getting the required 100 hours and 100 dives. The final 2 weeks are devoted to assisting teaching a course and completing the instructor course.
    We are located in Honolulu, which means we have a wide variety of diving conditions near by. The 8 weeks spent gaining experience is intense. It works out to at least 12.5 hours and 12.5 dives per week. For a full-time diver, this is achievable. We have some students getting 25 dives and 25 hours in a week. We help as much as we can by providing exceptional support. Our company has 5 boats and the students are welcome to go out on any of the charters on these boats. We have 2 charters weekly dedicated to CCR dives. For example, last night I led a night dive with 8 rebreather divers on the Sea Tiger wreck. We also have a wide variety of excellent shore dives here on Oahu. By the time they begin the instructor course they have experience boat diving, shore diving, diving at night, drift diving, diving in high currents, diving on shallow reefs and diving on wrecks sitting right at their limit of 130'. In many cases they also gain experience diving their CCR on DPVs and get certified as TEC60 divers along the way.
    I would be happy to answer any specific questions you may have. Feel free to reach out to me at: Mike.Jones@HawaiiScubaUniversity.com.

Mahalo,
    Mike

Michael C. Jones

Master Instructor
    Hawaii Scuba University

+ Reply to Thread