+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Medication against oxygen posoning?

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Re: Medication against oxygen posoning?

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Rat  View Original Post

If you aren't truly at the expedition level, staying within the NOAA limits is sound advice....if you are at the expedition level, then additional strategies to mitigate exposure risk (like in-water habitats) are available.

Stay safe,

-Richard
    Richard, since you are an advocate, do you know how NOAA got to their oxygen tolerance limits?

THIS could be a very interesting discussion! Also, have you ever looked at the US Navy single exposure tables compared to NOAA's? What do you make from that?

C
    Last edited by dreamdive; 14th April 2017 at 11:45.

RBW Member theJonas is an unknown quantity at this point theJonas's Avatar

Routine hyperbaric wound treatment is done in chambers at ppO2 2.5(!) for around 90 minutes. Wonder if exertion and for some reason being under water increase seizure risk?

Escaped... Lab Rat is an unknown quantity at this point Lab Rat's Avatar
    Meg Driver

Quote Originally Posted by theJonas  View Original Post
    Routine hyperbaric wound treatment is done in chambers at ppO2 2.5(!) for around 90 minutes. Wonder if exertion and for some reason being under water increase seizure risk?
    Yes.

Exertion increases CO2 production...that mechanism is well understood.

Immersion ALSO, and independently, appears to increase the risk. It has been known for a very long time that divers in water have a different risk of seizures than dry chamber personnel.

I have tolerated over 2 HOURS on pure O2 decoing at 60 fsw IN A CHAMBER, without the first twitch....something I would never do immersed.

-R

Meg Driver

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    Richard, since you are an advocate, do you know how NOAA got to their oxygen tolerance limits?

THIS could be a very interesting discussion! Also, have you ever looked at the US Navy single exposure tables compared to NOAA's? What do you make from that?

C

I have actually heard a couple different stories from senior Navy docs to Morgan Wells (daddy of nitrox and the NOAA program) personal accounts...they all involve a variation of "we tried that and it didn't appear to cause much problem, so we went with that".

Morgan once commented that they backed off the suspected tolerance numbers far enough to allow an extended treatment on a Table 6 profile while still having a low probability of pulm ox tox.

My experience is that everyone on back-to-back Table 6s for aggressive therapy has some mild pulm ox tox symptoms.

YMMV-BIDI...

-R

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

My experience is that everyone on back-to-back Table 6s for aggressive therapy has some mild pulm ox tox symptoms.
    On my one and only Table 6 extended I had CNS symptoms - was puking my guts out every 18mins of the 20 like clockwork. Then off came the hood, I tried drink ~6 to 8oz of water on the air break to avoid getting further dehydrated and then back went the hood and it started all over. It was better once we moved up to 30ft, but still had extreme nausea and some dry heaves.

Meg Driver

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    On my one and only Table 6 extended I had CNS symptoms - was puking my guts out every 18mins of the 20 like clockwork. Then off came the hood, I tried drink ~6 to 8oz of water on the air break to avoid getting further dehydrated and then back went the hood and it started all over. It was better once we moved up to 30ft, but still had extreme nausea and some dry heaves.

That is a little unusual...but can certainly happen.

It would have been better worded by me as: "Everyone seems AT LEAST to have some mild pulm ox-tox symptoms."

Thanks,

-Richard

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

That is a little unusual...but can certainly happen.

Despite being 9 or 10 years ago now, it was a striking reminder for me that there's more to CNS symptoms than convulsions!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2